Mileage Reporting 3rd Week 2014

Scratch

Barefooters
Jul 9, 2013
None so far for me, but I should have some later on as today is going to be absolutely gorgeous weather, temps climbing into the low 50s, so it'll feel good to run in shorts, a tee shirt, and bare feet.

Had some really wild and vaguely barefoot related dreams last night.

Hope you all can get out there and look awesome and smile.

Sunday - 22 shod trail miles. Difficult trail with either deep sand or slickrock. Up and down through washes, running rhythm impossible. 5 hours of adventure. Knee is really protesting now. Short barefoot recovery walks and runs planned for the rest of the week and a barefoot half marathon for Saturday. Haven't been in a race (those who don't know me, I enter races, but don't race) for a while so I'm looking forward to it.

I did 7.96 miles according to map my run, I'm calling it 8! Mostly dirt trials and roads, although the last mile is on pavement. Mostly barefoot, had to put my shoes on for a mile or so, I hate that part. The more I run barefoot, the more I don't like shoes. temp was a nice sunny 26 degrees f! And a cool breeze. It was a nice run except when I Stepped on a sharp piece of gravel on the sidewalk not 50 feet from the end. Now I have a hole in my foot! Hope it heals fast. I'm planning a run in my gorilla costume on January 31st. It's national gorilla suit day!!

Snow! Snow at last! I managed to run one - 1 - kilometer in proper snow, barefoot footrpints on the pavement, before I had to pick up a child and after that, it all melted. But still.

trying to keep up some exercise despite this nasty cold that I think went the way of a sinus infection. Sleepless nights, stress, constant sinus pressure. UGH.
ok, whining over. Thank you.

sunday: 4 slow miles, then hour swim.
monday; one mile sock-to-track at the gym, then a few weights and abs, total of about half an hour.
lunch swim, about an hour. dragging.

7mi trail run on Sunday. Got out later than usual, so there were some hikers. A kid made a comment of "no shoes!" after I passed, so I didn't hear the parents response.

My goal for the run was to revisit the 3/4 mile section of gravel, which is about 3.5 miles from the entrance. I jogged/walked about 200ft then turned around and jogged back. Hopefully, I'll be able to go farther next time.

I've found the pool spa at the gym to be nice for recovery. Unfortunately, it's been undergoing repairs. My legs felt like deadweight after the run, so I cleaned the tub and had a hot soak.

The last couple of times, I went to the pool in the afternoon. Saw a guy swim back and forth, then get out of the pool to do leg scissors. Today, I saw someone do the same thing, but with dips. I've always found the pool to be a nice sanctuary from the rest of the gym which is dominated by stereotypical meatheads. It's one thing when people take up a lane to do water aerobics, but it's another to do exercises that can be done in other parts of the gym, since the pool only has 4 lanes. (C'mon the guy doing dips had his legs supported by the water!)

A little over 4 miles last night on somewhat tired legs, threw in 6x30s strides. Felt good to be barefoot. Then later I worked for about 20 minutes with foam rolling and trigger points all over my body.

Dreamed I was running uphill barefoot along a narrow ledge of tile overnight. In it, I saw lots of people I haven't heard from in years.

Just finished 3.7 miles on the road, with shoes (brooks pure drift) on, boy do I feel outta place... Nice sunny 25f morning. What is this "snow" stuff people are talking about? I don't think anyone notice whether I was barefoot or not, they were mostly all too busy texting as they drove by... Scarey thought, that's why I wear a super bright orange hopefully drivers will see me thank The Lord for neon long sleeve. Do other runners have this problem? Or is it a local thing?

300 jumping jacks, 3 pullups, and 20 minutes of stretching. Hoping to get a little 2 miler in later this afternoon. Studying for a job I have an interview for on Thursday. Hope that goes as well as my phone interview went yesterday as that would mean I start on Monday. Toes are crossed! Oh, and I was watching a show last night called Dude You're Screwed and there's an ultra runner on it named Matt. Well he was in traditional tying huaraches. Pretty cool to see that on a national tv program.

Do other runners have this problem? Or is it a local thing?

I mostly avoid roads, sticking to greenbelt like paths. But when I am on roads they are pretty country and the drivers are almost all very careful around me. Of course, I'm constantly waving and smiling to make sure they see me, too. :D

Reactions: Bare Lee
8 barefoot miles at 46°F, sunny and dry. Just perfect. I was a little concerned since I have not spent much time at all on the asphalt for 6 weeks, but was up to 13 miles then. However, the feet seem to have held up fine. Doggy made it 5 miles, but started to drag, so since I had to pass by the car, I left her there.

Oh, I stopped at about mile 5 for a few minutes when a gentleman wanted to know why I was running barefoot (he had seen me pass the other way once already). I was prepared to give him the short answer, "It is fun and a lot healthier." But he was actually quite interested, so I kept answering his questions. Apparently his son is a minimalist runner in the Bay area and has been trying to get him to ditch his clunkers. Anyone here have a dad named Mike living in Idaho? I believe I may have helped your cause. :)

Is there a sauna challenge thread somewhere? I ran 11km this morning on the beach at 6:15 AM and the temperature was still 29C or 85F after our nasty heatwave 43 (110!) yesterday. We've got a few more days of thsi in store. Sweaty stuff. Actually, I walked about 2km yesterday in my vivos in 40+ temperatures, so that probably counts as a workout too!

Lots of people on the beach including quite a few little kids who couldn't sleep having an early morning swim. It was a little bit surreal compared to the usual crowd of walkers and runners. I finished up with a dip in the ocean, quite refreshing. Body surfed a couple of waves until it was time to go to work.

Is there a sauna challenge thread somewhere? I ran 11km this morning on the beach at 6:15 AM and the temperature was still 29C or 85F after our nasty heatwave 43 (110!) yesterday. We've got a few more days of thsi in store. Sweaty stuff. Actually, I walked about 2km yesterday in my vivos in 40+ temperatures, so that probably counts as a workout too!

Lots of people on the beach including quite a few little kids who couldn't sleep having an early morning swim. It was a little bit surreal compared to the usual crowd of walkers and runners. I finished up with a dip in the ocean, quite refreshing. Body surfed a couple of waves until it was time to go to work.

YIKES. That is steamy hot for 6:15 in the morning. Whew.

Reactions: Larry
Well I got 6 miles in today. Seems like thats all I have been averaging lately... per week. :sorry:

Went out in my VFF Bikilas for the first time this winter, and just like I experienced all last winter I started getting arch cramps bad, even at a lowly 12mm pace. Approaching the 3 mile turn around, and I had already had to stop like 4 times to message the arches. I knew it was about 34-35 degrees, slight bit too cold for me barefoot (guess I just don't have good enough circulation in my feet), but with the arch pains I was desperate to try anything and took off the shoes and socks. Well I think its safe to say its definitely something about my gait with shoes that’s causing the problem, I didn’t have a single twinge in my arch all the way back barefoot. My SoftStar Dash's that I've used the last few runs didn't seem to cause this problem so I'll stick to using them.