Mileage Reporting 39th week 2013

Thursday
One-mile run-commute in the morning, one-mile run-commute in the afternoon. Both times I felt like running more, but I'm trying to be hyper-vigilant with this mild tendonitis in my left foot.

During the day I did some mobility stuff with my ankle weights. Refreshing. Stomach felt a little goofy so no sit-ups. Lots of stretching, massaging, rolling.

On the afternoon run back home, all the commotion and light seemed unpleasant. I think I may very well be becoming a permanent morning runner. I love the peace and tranquility and dim lighting. I feel kinda like a defective sperm purposelessly floating around in a giant, dark, urban womb. I can never seem to run very fast first thing in the morning, but who cares? The only competition I have is death and decay, and I'm winning.

Friday morning
3.6 mi. / 5.8 km

Woke up before three, thoughts immediately turned to running a half-marathon. As my consciousness focused and reason slowly regained the upper hand over imagination while voiding my bowels, I realized a short run would be more the thing to do, test out the left foot, see where it's at.

It felt funny to run so little after my recent spat of 8-14 milers, and I really felt like I was just getting started when I turned back homeward, just after attaining neighborhood escape velocity, but I think it was best to keep today's run to a short orbit 'round the home planet. I'll continue massaging and stretching throughout the day, check the O-ring twice, and then fire up the boosters and try a proper longrun launch tomorrow morning to a distant neighborhood. (Please excuse the extended metaphor, but with all this running under the stars and half-moon, stellar tropes pierce the thoughtscapes of my half-awake hemispherical cerebrum like shooting stars. [Opps, did it again.])

More concretely, there's still a little something in the left foot, and I can still feel the knots in my left arch, but they're getting better. Shins don't feel tight at all, so I wonder if the arch muscles can cause tofp too. The mild ache kind of moves around from on top of my mets to near my ankle. I was hoping to make 40 miles this week, now I'll be lucky to make 30 mpw. Oh well. I still have 40-50 years to get it right, starting next week.

Went out for a 7 km barefoot run last night, a sunny 12c evening. I almost got run over by a group of 30 or so runners, they took up the whole bike path! Looked like a school running team, I think I was that young once.... :)
I passed one woman running in vff's, didn't have a chance to talk, she did look a lot more graceful than me though! She was doing a slow stride, looked like she was concentrating on landing near the front of her foot...
I ran by with my usual style and grace, that is to say, none.. Lol

(Please excuse the extended metaphor, but with all this running under the stars and half-moon, stellar tropes pierce the thoughtscapes of my half-awake hemispherical cerebrum like shooting stars. [Opps, did it again.])
I think the lack of sleep is making you crazier:doctor::nurse:
Hope your foot feels gooder-soon.

I think the lack of sleep is making you crazier:doctor::nurse:
Hope your foot feels gooder-soon.
I know you're joking, butt seriously I'm used to sleep deprivation. I only sleep a full night once or twice a week. I've always been like that.

The foot feels pretty good now, the massaging/stretching/rolling is working. I guess I just gotta do it more now that I'm running higher mileage, or at least while I'm still transitioning to higher mileage, especially the Knobble and thumb massages on the arches and shins.

Should be good to go for tomorrow's long run. Some rain is forecast, so should be a good adventure.

I'm still feeling a little hypoglycemic though. Since the stomach bug last week, my normal diet and meal pattern just doesn't seem to be enough. I'm often hungry and feeling a little weak. I think I need to start eating cheese or some animal flesh in the morning. All these fruits and veggies aren't doing the trick. I think I also need to start eating more carbos at night.

I know you're joking, butt seriously I'm used to sleep deprivation. I only sleep a full night once or twice a week. I've always been like that.

The foot feels pretty good now
All these fruits and veggies aren't doing the trick. I think I also need to start eating more carbos at night.
I am guessing that for the amount of workouts you do you might be short on calories hence feeling the way you do.
Fruits and veggies are never enough for an active person such as yourself.
I think you got it backwards I ussualy consume mostly proteins in the AM with some carbs(I read somewhere that the body absorbs proteins the best first thing in the morning)
and complex carb during the day with some protein and mostly protein with some carbs at night if you want ot avoid weight gain.
Good to hear your foot is feeling better I haven't had any issues with my foot so far(knock on good).
Sorry about your sleeping patterns I won't survive sleeping like that my little body feels the best with 10 hrs of sleep and I only get eight or nine.
Good on your run luck tomorrow.

I am guessing that for the amount of workouts you do you might be short on calories hence feeling the way you do.
Fruits and veggies are never enough for an active person such as yourself.
I think you got it backwards I ussualy consume mostly proteins in the AM with some carbs(I read somewhere that the body absorbs proteins the best first thing in the morning)
and complex carb during the day with some protein and mostly protein with some carbs at night if you want ot avoid weight gain.
Good to hear your foot is feeling better I haven't had any issues with my foot so far(knock on good).
Sorry about your sleeping patterns I won't survive sleeping like that my little body feels the best with 10 hrs of sleep and I only get eight or nine.
Good on your run luck tomorrow.
Actually that is my pattern:
protein to start the day (mostly nuts, with some dried fruit for flavor)
Then mostly fruits and veggies during the day, and lately, with some protein powder in a fruit and almond milk smoothie also.
Then mostly animal flesh and veggies at night.
I think I just need to up the protein intake, to even out the dispersal of blood sugars. I have been avoiding carbs at night, exactly as you say, to avoid weight gain, but perhaps a little carbo loading won't hurt. The belt did just go in a notch, so weight loss isn't a concern. It will happen on its own I think with this recent increase in mileage. Should be at 210 by year's end, then anything after that is gravy.

I'm still feeling a little hypoglycemic though. Since the stomach bug last week, my normal diet and meal pattern just doesn't seem to be enough. I'm often hungry and feeling a little weak. I think I need to start eating cheese or some animal flesh in the morning. All these fruits and veggies aren't doing the trick. I think I also need to start eating more carbos at night.

Since I started eating more meat, I crave sugar less and less, which says a lot considering I've always had an incurable sweet tooth.
My best breakfast is scrambled eggs w/veg and cheese, and some kind of sausage or meat. Keeps me going.
Not often enough time to make that, though.
Fast breakfast is rich hippie local yogurt with nuts and honey. Maybe berries on top.

You could also cook extra one morning when you have time, then reheat at least one day later.

Finally, the long runs last fall took it out of me. I was eating like a ravenous beast. Like dama said, you may just need more calories.

Actually that is my pattern:
protein to start the day (mostly nuts, with some dried fruit for flavor)
Then mostly fruits and veggies during the day, and lately, with some protein powder in a fruit and almond milk smoothie also.
Then mostly animal flesh and veggies at night.
I think I just need to up the protein intake, to even out the dispersal of blood sugars. I have been avoiding carbs at night, exactly as you say, to avoid weight gain, but perhaps a little carbo loading won't hurt. The belt did just go in a notch, so weight loss isn't a concern. It will happen on its own I think with this recent increase in mileage. Should be at 210 by year's end, then anything after that is gravy.
Have you thought about adding other forms of proteins/carbs such as lentils and or beans? how about quinoa? lentils and beans have so much nutrition besides protein.

@Lee: I like you, er, "eccentric," so if sleep deprivation is what does it, then you are there.
:D
Coming from another, er "eccentric," I take that as a compliment!

Have you thought about adding other forms of proteins/carbs such as lentils and or beans? how about quinoa? lentils and beans have so much nutrition besides protein.
Right now I'm think more along the lines of sausage. Easy to store in my office's fridge. No preparation. Also yummy. But I do like the rice and beans, no doubt. As does my wife.
Think Beer Lee!

Ran another easy 3 mile trail run at my summer pace. It was the first time I have ever worn Luna's and I am really impressed.
Oh yeah, I usually have one or two IPAs every evening. Do you know if there's any truth to that being so-called empty calories though?
Finally, the long runs last fall took it out of me. I was eating like a ravenous beast. Like dama said, you may just need more calories.
Proly, but some of the stuff I've been reading casually suggests that protein is really important for recovery, even for running, but especially for weights. And my wife has noticed that I'm getting bigger in my upper body, so I probably have more muscle mass to maintain these days. And that tissue is pretty energy intensive, so yeah, also more carbs.

Man, I'm getting hungry again and I just ate lunch.
You could also cook extra one morning when you have time, then reheat at least one day later.
I like that idea. Hard boiled eggs are super easy and cheap. I could eat those post-workout, but not before.

Right now I'm think more along the lines of sausage. Easy to store in my office's fridge. No preparation. Also yummy. But I do like the rice and beans, no doubt. As does my wife.
How bout tuna? healthier and more protein than sausage?

How bout tuna? healthier and more protein than sausage?
I like where you're taking this, or mackerel in mustard sauce. Yum. Or, wait a minute, I just remembered how much I like herring! I'll be pining for the ancestral fjords in no time. Still, gotta have some spicy sausage once in a while. Except then I'll want red wine. Scratch that. I've also been trying to snack a bit more on sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Nice. Seeds good.

I like where you're taking this, or mackerel in mustard sauce. Yum. Or, wait a minute, I just remembered how much I like herring! I'll be pining for the ancestral fjords in no time. Still, gotta have some spicy sausage once in a while. Except then I'll want red wine. Scratch that. I've also been trying to snack a bit more on sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Nice. Seeds good.
This is what I do the night before sometimes
Mix a:
can of tuna
one chopped avocado
one chopped tomato
one chopped jalapeno pepper or hot sauce
some chopped onion
and cilantro
squeeze the juice of two limes into the mixture
salt to taste.
Mixed everthing and eat with chips(I make my own chips)

Pickled herring!
Oh yes, also mustard sauce, also white sauce. I love those little fishies. And Scandinavians routinely eat them for breakfast, so I'll be able to get in touch with my viking heritage. Maybe I can even make a herring smoothie.
This is what I do the night before sometimes
Mix a:
can of tuna
one chopped avocado
one chopped tomato
one chopped jalapeno pepper or hot sauce
some chopped onion
and cilantro
squeeze the juice of two limes into the mixture
salt to taste.
Mixed everthing and eat with chips(I make my own chips)
Keep the protean protein proposals coming. I'm all in!

Hey look this week's mileage thread might top 10 pages by the time we're done!