Mileage reporting 35th week of 2013

Friday: nada, but a lot of walking around at the State Fair. Won't make 30 mpw this week (I'm doing my ST & a mini-run later, to make up for yesterday, instead of my macro run), but counting seven days from last week, I was up to almost 29 on Thursday. Ah, stupid numerology. It can still hold me in its sway at times.

I really didn't feel like running in the morning, but just a few hours later I really wished I had, and then we decided to take advantage of the cooling weather and go to the fair in the afternoon, and the workout was lost. Ah, OCD.

At the fair I was so proud when my wife completely destroyed a bottle with a ball to win a prize. I never knew she had such a great arm. Then both my kids popped balloons with darts. A guy next to us was particularly demoralized when our two-and-half-year-old toddler hit bull's eye on his first try. Ah, the power of what the Zenists call 'beginner's mind'.
Anyways, covered around 4.5 miles. Now I need a shower.
Sounds like you're making great progress Scratch!
Bonus points for those wearing dark non-reflective clothing at the same time
Great, a new version of Death Race 2000!

Reactions: mokaman and Scratch
Why do you think it's my high mileage time? Especially considering I'm a displaced NW Montanan. I know what real winters are and I love OR winters. Not so cold that I can't still run in shorts and short sleeve shirts. It is funny though to see people here and how they dress during "winter", winter jackets, beanies, gloves... You'd think we were in the middle of a blizzard. :) Haven't you ever noticed how I give Mike such a hard time for how much he wears during the winter? Lol!
I should have put a funny face on my comment. I'm glad you have nice weather to run in during the cooler months.

Reactions: NickW
Excellent run (one of my favorite 10 mile paths) at 5:15 am., 84 deg., 48%rh... Lots of creek crossing. Saw rabbit, squirrels and one coopers hawk (souring just above the tree line). Heard a rooster crow. This is the last run of the week for me. Total miles 21.
Will start getting ready for Tour De Fleur in September.
Glad I can get out there and touch the ground barefoot!!

5.6 miles on my pond loop. Medium pace. Was concentrating on not letting my emotions translate into injury. All I will say is I ask for compassion for all mother-in-laws. We are a misunderstood and abused lot. So, with that preface, you may understand my response to the 30something man running by from behind me, who turned and said with the casual air of calling me an idiot, "You're crazy!" To which I scowled and replied matter-of-factly, "No. I'm not." I was sorely tempted to go repass him, but decided that was not really a good idea.

Not too long after that, things were happier when a man and daughter approached me from the front with a gangly lab puppy. The puppy instinctively turned and and took a couple of bounding leaps to run joyfully along side me. Too bad he was on a leash. (My stinky-skunked dog still needs a bath and got left at home).

My second go at the 5k parkrun. As they gave me the wrong time last week, 38.03 instead of 40.13, I was somewhat unreasonably obsessed with beating that so that it didn't keep telling me that my PB was a time I never ran. To that probably slightly pointless end, I ran in minshoes throughout instead of bf & sockwas on the stony parts and knocked myself out the first two miles thinking i would rather not finish than not beat the time. I didn't walk at all in those 2 miles except once on a hill when trapped behind a woman running with a buggy, which is much further than I've run without a break before, which I was pleased about. With that under my belt, I did have to walk a bit more in the third mile which had a lot more up in it than I remembered from last week, thought id messed it up but I did get home in 38.02 according to my Garmin. Whether or not that will be the same on their stopwatch, goodness knows, but at least it should hopefully be close enough that I can ignore it and go back to bf next time if I want to.
And just to teach me that technology is not my friend, my Garmin registered the run this week as 3.07 miles instead of 3.1 so refuses to allow it as a 5k PB. Last week I didn't press the finish button till I got to the results table - that 50 feet must have made all the difference.

Took it a little easy all last week after the hotter than the dickens 10k and half. Had a nice walk run mix this morning early at 5 am for 5 miles and did look for the naked man but he was a no show. Here lovely owl callings a few times on my journey and even a rooster. There were a few Cotten tail bun buns hopping about and they were happy that Beck was on leash. Was glad to get back in the swing. It's to over 100 degree temps here again and dreaming of fall.

Not quite 11 miles in similar humidity to Scratch I expect. The first 2 were comfortable and followed by a slow, comfortable 5 with a very capable newby in VFF who is just getting distance in (the 10% rule was tested this morning!) the last 4 or so were mostly spent chatting with a guy who's hoping for 3:05 in the NYC marathon to get his BQ.

A mix of paces, good conversation, a little bouldering thrown in for good measure - the only thing not to like was the humidity.

Not quite 11 miles in similar humidity to Scratch I expect. The first 2 were comfortable and followed by a slow, comfortable 5 with a very capable newby in VFF who is just getting distance in (the 10% rule was tested this morning!) the last 4 or so were mostly spent chatting with a guy who's hoping for 3:05 in the NYC marathon to get his BQ.

A mix of paces, good conversation, a little bouldering thrown in for good measure - the only thing not to like was the humidity.
That's a cool link!

Reactions: DNEchris
Good week for me!
Tuesday- 2.5 miles (hill repeats)
Wednesday- 6 miles
Thursday- 4 miles
Saturday- 10k trail race

My race went awesome! I placed 3rd in age group and 14th overall. It was my first time placing in my age group- but it was a really small race so that probably helped ;). I wore VFFs because I knew there would be rocks and I didn't want to deal with them barefoot today. The first two miles were straight up and then it was mostly downhill the rest of the way. I will write up a more detailed race report later. Near the end I tripped on a root and went down hard, onto more roots with my right knee. However, I have a debilitating competitive streak and couldn't let the person behind me who I knew was in my age group pass me so I hobbled the last mile as fast as I could. My Bikilas did something to my left Morton's toe, too. So I'm probably out from injury for a few days but I got 3rd place in AG! Woo!

Good week for me!
Tuesday- 2.5 miles (hill repeats)
Wednesday- 6 miles
Thursday- 4 miles
Saturday- 10k trail race

My race went awesome! I placed 3rd in age group and 14th overall. It was my first time placing in my age group- but it was a really small race so that probably helped ;). I wore VFFs because I knew there would be rocks and I didn't want to deal with them barefoot today. The first two miles were straight up and then it was mostly downhill the rest of the way. I will write up a more detailed race report later. Near the end I tripped on a root and went down hard, onto more roots with my right knee. However, I have a debilitating competitive streak and couldn't let the person behind me who I knew was in my age group pass me so I hobbled the last mile as fast as I could. My Bikilas did something to my left Morton's toe, too. So I'm probably out from injury for a few days but I got 3rd place in AG! Woo!
Sounds like you even had fun finishing injured! Hope you heal up soon. Congratulations!

You bring up an interesting topic. I have noticed a lot of runners who run on the road in the bike lanes instead of on nice wide sidewalks right next to them. Last night on my way home from school I saw power walkers doing the same thing. What gives? Anyone know why people would rather put their lives in the drivers hands (who are more and more distracted with their cell phones while driving) instead of running or walking on sidewalks? I just don't understand and I don't get why running on the road would be appealing when you have a much safer sidewalk available 5 feet away...
The sidewalk here is 3' wide with some very little being 5' wide. Some is adjacent to the street while other is set back 3' or so. Every 50' or so is a driveway approach (about 12' wide) where the slope starts at the street and rises 8" (to yard level) within the 3' width of the sidewalk. Some driveways are adjacent to one another. That means one encounters 2 of those slopes within a few feet of each other. There is a joint every 5' in the sidewalk. Trees, etc., push up one section while leaving the next section in tact creating a difference of up to 2" (I've had 2 epic falls in my running escapades and one of them was caused by this type of grade difference). Trees hang low over the sidewalk, bushes and shrubs grow onto the sidewalk and gravel from xeriscaping (landscaping) and dirt and debris from parking lots spill onto the sidewalk. The are a couple of sections on my path were the sidewalk is great and I use it. The rest of the time I'm in the bike lane, on the shoulder (running against traffic), or even running right down the middle of street . I run between 4:00 and 5:30 AM, wear a headlight, have a red flasher on my back and do not use ear buds.

One reason I've switched to mostly running on the trails late in the evening, unfortunately they officially close at dark so if I were to do a night run I'd legally have to do it on the road. :confused: I can understand local metro parks closing at night, but the long distance rail trails that span between towns are often open all the time, except for the one by me.:rolleyes:

That's crazy. I think I would run illegally on the trails. Sneaking your way to the start of the trail would be great fun, for starters.

Oh yeah, double post. Took the little one swimming yesterday and tried to swim a few laps. 250-300m. I still suck at breathing. Can't seem to find the rhythm. I tried breathing every third stroke, every 4th stroke, every 5th stroke. Every 3rd almost seems to cut it, but I don't know if that's too often. Worse still, I can't really work out if I am breathing too much or not enough. I'm a hopeless case.

Followed that up with a 500m run to the beach with a 4 year old girl (fortunately a very small one) perched on my shoulders, then finished the day off with a surf in fading light. Caught a few waves after dark - it's really freaky when you can barely see them and you just have to guess which one to paddle for.

Fathers Day today, and I was up at 6:30 cooking pancakes because the little one woke up early for no reason and needed cheering up. Another 400m shoulder ride with her, and she's back in bed now. I am yet to hear of a child with worse sleeping habits than mine.

12km/7.5mi relatively slow run today, it is my 4th run of the week and legs start to be tired....

With spring also comes the dry(er) grass, with little spiky stuff that stucks to your feet...

But if that is the only thing to hate about spring, I take it ! :)

The sidewalk here is 3' wide with some very little being 5' wide. Some is adjacent to the street while other is set back 3' or so. Every 50' or so is a driveway approach (about 12' wide) where the slope starts at the street and rises 8" (to yard level) within the 3' width of the sidewalk. Some driveways are adjacent to one another. That means one encounters 2 of those slopes within a few feet of each other. There is a joint every 5' in the sidewalk. Trees, etc., push up one section while leaving the next section in tact creating a difference of up to 2" (I've had 2 epic falls in my running escapades and one of them was caused by this type of grade difference). Trees hang low over the sidewalk, brushes and shrubs grow onto the sidewalk and gravel from xeriscaping (landscaping) and dirt and debris from parking lots spill onto the sidewalk. The are a couple of sections on my path were the sidewalk is great and I use it. The rest of the time I'm in the bike lane, on the shoulder (running against traffic), or even running right down the middle of street . I run between 4:00 and 5:30 AM and wear a headlight and have a red flasher on my back and do not use ear buds.
The driveways affect me the same way, as well as the shrubbery!

And coming back from my run, my son gave me my father's day present, a badge saying 'I am the boss'...The card that came with it mentioned it should be returned to it's rightful owner by tomorrow...Wonder who that is

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts