Mileage Reporting 32nd Week of 2013

I think I've discovered all those trigger points in my sessions with the golf ball. I found it very helpful in dealing with some of the soreness I was getting back in June and July as I began living and walking more barefoot. Especially the peroneal tendon trigger points, because I did tweak that that tendon in my right ankle a bit at one point in July. I rolled those a lot and tested the feel of it down in the ankle before I began running. I suspect that the tendon did get inflamed slightly, but a lot of that inflammation was from the knots in the muscles around those trigger points. Once I rolled them out with the golf ball, the tendon slowly returned to normal.

OK, the step-ups I kind of suspected I understood. I have a couple of cinder blocks in my garage (I got rid of the plyo boxes). I have a plyo/mobility day penciled in for Sunday and start with steps and jumps on the blocks. Not very high, I know, but it's enough for me right now. I don't do the steps weighted though, as with your step-ups, maybe I should give that a try. For my steps I just switch feet rapidly, in front of the blocks and side-to-side. Unfortunately, the plyo/mobility workout frequently gets blown off, that's why I scheduled it for Sunday, but hopefully with the new early morning routine I'll get better at doing it more consistently. The whole workout can take as little as 15-20 minutes if you do just one set of each exercise. I think it really helps the running without being as taxing as either the running or lifting days.

The Ladder scheme looks way too complicated for me. I'm just too damn lazy. I do some pyramiding, for warm-up and then back down again from the max, on the heavy lifts, but that's about it as far as having a protocol to follow. A long time ago I read my older brother's Weider books and magazines, about supersets, and all that, but it's just too much for me to think about. I'll be interested in hearing how the Ladders work for you though. It's an intriguing idea.

My workouts generally start with the heavy lifts (in bold on my pdf file), and then everything that follows is based on what kind of equipment they require, to minimize set-up time in between exercises. So once I'm on the bench, I do all the bench stuff, once I'm on the cables, I do all the cable stuff, etc., in a given workout, even if it means spreading the bent-over rows, for example, throughout the workout (bent-over row with lat-blaster and platform, bent-over row with dumbbell on bench, and bent-over renegade rows on the floor, seated rows with cables).

I switched back to EoD (gotta love the obscure initialisms--technical language always gives me a buzz) because the ED I began experimenting with a month or so ago was just too much, both physically and mentally. I tried dividing my ST exercises into six body areas--front, top, upper back, lower back, pelvis, and legs--but things overlap enough that I didn't feel like I had enough time for recovery. Plus, it was a bit tiring mentally to be doing weights every day. Kind of a "not again!?!" feeling. I wasn't fresh. The idea was to run a bit every day, and lift a bit every day, but I've gone back to having three main days for running, and three main days for strength training, with a fourth, lesser running day for hills, and a fourth, lesser strength training day a la the plyo/mobility stuff. I'm also experimenting with doing "recovery runs" of at least a mile on my lifting days, so that I'm running pretty much every day, and that has been going well so far. The goal is to get up around 30 mpw. I'm hoping the higher mileage will speed up my progress in getting my pace down. The initial results are promising.

Reactions: NickW and Abide
Nice! thanks Abide, the second set of pictures where the peroneus tertius with the solid red area is where I woke up with severe pain the other day(Sunday) out of the blue.
It's about 95% better but I am not going to run until there are no traces of pain.

Is there really such a thing as no pain for you?
Not really! I am happy as long as my feet don't hurt, I have lived with back pain for so many years that I am used to it by now.
On the rare occasions that my back feels good I feel as if something is wrong.
Pathetic!

@Lee - yeah with the squats I used to be an ass to heels squatter but I have been switching that to more of a wider stance parallel squat lately. The only problem is there isn't as much an effect on the quads, and I despise front squats, which is why I am looking at doing weighted step ups. It also seems more stable than doing lunges and you can adjust depth more as well. I'll let you know the results for running in a month. I am going to push a regular trail i run and time it and do it again next month to see.

Overall I am trying to eliminate all conditioning and plyo's other than running. Hopefuly it'll help the aches go away. Now I am very leary about doing sprints with the PF. It sucks cause I enjoyed those.

I'll let you know how the ladders go, I am still reworking the plan. I do think switching to every other day is a good idea with your workout though. It is tough lifting every day unless you do some type of easy abbreviated work out like 2 sets of 5 every day.

Your deadlift is getting up there I see! Nice work. How's the trap bar working?

Reactions: NickW
@Lee - yeah with the squats I used to be an ass to heels squatter but I have been switching that to more of a wider stance parallel squat lately. The only problem is there isn't as much an effect on the quads, and I despise front squats, which is why I am looking at doing weighted step ups. It also seems more stable than doing lunges and you can adjust depth more as well. I'll let you know the results for running in a month. I am going to push a regular trail i run and time it and do it again next month to see.

Overall I am trying to eliminate all conditioning and plyo's other than running. Hopefuly it'll help the aches go away. Now I am very leary about doing sprints with the PF. It sucks cause I enjoyed those.

I'll let you know how the ladders go, I am still reworking the plan. I do think switching to every other day is a good idea with your workout though. It is tough lifting every day unless you do some type of easy abbreviated work out like 2 sets of 5 every day.

Your deadlift is getting up there I see! Nice work. How's the trap bar working?
Funny, I used to only do half and quarter squats, with much more weight, back in my karate days. It's good to have good, strong thighs to take the low kicks. But as I get older and stiffer, I like the full squats (which you talked me into!) for maintaining some flexibility/mobility. I've also been using furniture glides to get back into stretching out on the floor. I'd like to be able to do the splits again, if possible.

I'm with you I've never liked lunges, but I do them more for flexibility than strength. I've thought about switching them over to my plyo/mobiltiy day, but I like the idea of keeping all weighted lower body exercises in one workout. I'm a bit of a formalist that way.

When I was lifting every day, I did space out the three heaviest days Mon/Wed/Fri, and I do think there's benefit to 'overtraining' anaerobically once in a while, but by the second or third week of it I was starting to burn out. Maybe I could do the six times a week routine once every four weeks or so. We'll see. One nice thing about spreading the lifting out over six days is that each workout only takes 30-40 minutes, instead 60-80 minutes with the 3x week plan.

The trap lifts are great! That's how I start my lower body st session. I'm keeping it at 255 because it seems like my upper back is still adapting to this new way of doing dead lifts. I do 8-10 reps, which is high, for me, for such a heavy lift, but I don't want to raise the weight until I'm sure my upper back can take it. Then I do some shrugs and my power cleans before moving back to the barbell deadlift, which seems to use the lower back more, the upper back less. It's true I'm up to 325 now, but just barely. It's one of the few instances, along with the bench press, where I allow myself a single-rep effort, because I feel pretty confident about my form and conditioning on these exercises. If I can eventually add another 50-100 pounds to the deadlifts and do 3-5 reps, I'll be plenty happy. At a certain point, I'll probably just do maintenance, and not get any stronger, but right now it's interesting trying to see what this middle-aged body is still capable of.

But my real emphasis is on the running. As I've said before, I've only run consistently once before, for almost three years 10 years ago in Chicago, so I'm interested in seeing what I can do. Right now the goal is to run an hour at 8mm pace. Then I might think about working on distance again, but I don't know if I have the patience to run much more than 90-120 minutes at a time. That seems about enough, at least for urban running. More than 10-12 miles and I'd be kind of wiped for the rest of the day, but if I could do a beautiful trail I might reconsider.

As for the plyo / conditioning stuff, I'm surprised you think it has contributed to your PF and other aches. Although I've been really inconsistent in doing my plyo and mobility exercises, I think they generally help keep the repetitive stress of running at bay.

Whew, I'm writing a lot here today. I'm processing a bunch of music and audio stuff, so lots of down time waiting for things to happen . . .

Again today I did a walk (it's actually hurt in my feet just to walk all day and now I'm starting to get a little worried) and when I got home I iced my feet while I rolled my lower legs a lot all over.
No running untill it's gone again, that's for sure. Only walking.

3.54 miles today at an avg 10:12 pace. My fastest mile was a 9:30. I felt like mentally and just physically I was in a fog today and it was a pretty rough run. I had to stop for a minute at 2.25 miles and then again at 3 miles for just a minute. Not sure if it was the humidity, lack of running the last week and half, the antihistamine, the stress of closing on the sale of the house plus packing and getting everything ready for the move next week. Probably a bit of all of it I would guess. Oh well, it will get better soon. I am kind of looking forward to the move also because I will not have any hills to run there and it will be mostly all flat unless I drive somewhere to intentionally run hills. :D Kind of just liking the get out and run and not worry about training routines and what not. I know that won't be a permanent thing because that's just not me. I like to change things up every so often as I get bored.

read too much again to remember who to pick on exactly. jeez.

TH-easy run to stretch legs. 2m. got a lot of weird looks by people who were congregated in front of the hospital. i guess they've never seen anyone consciously running bf with a hr strap and shirtless in near 100F weather?

Back at my usual place for a 1.5 mile this afternoon. When I got there, there was a notice that they were closing 15 mins early for an evening function, so no civilised tea in the Orangery afterwards :(. I think I still have some tiny thistle spines in my soles from Tuesday.

3.54 miles today at an avg 10:12 pace. My fastest mile was a 9:30. I felt like mentally and just physically I was in a fog today and it was a pretty rough run. I had to stop for a minute at 2.25 miles and then again at 3 miles for just a minute. Not sure if it was the humidity, lack of running the last week and half, the antihistamine, the stress of closing on the sale of the house plus packing and getting everything ready for the move next week. Probably a bit of all of it I would guess. Oh well, it will get better soon. I am kind of looking forward to the move also because I will not have any hills to run there and it will be mostly all flat unless I drive somewhere to intentionally run hills. :D Kind of just liking the get out and run and not worry about training routines and what not. I know that won't be a permanent thing because that's just not me. I like to change things up every so often as I get bored.
Maybe just being lazy?:p
I didn't see it listed on your bunch of excuses:D
Back at my usual place for a 1.5 mile this afternoon. When I got there, there was a notice that they were closing 15 mins early for an evening function, so no civilised tea in the Orangery afterwards :(. I think I still have some tiny thistle spines in my soles from Tuesday.
Bummer, maybe next time.

read too much again to remember who to pick on exactly. jeez.

TH-easy run to stretch legs. 2m. got a lot of weird looks by people who were congregated in front of the hospital. i guess they've never seen anyone consciously running bf with a hr strap and shirtless in near 100F weather?

It's the HR strap, our paleo ancestors never saw that so it's not in our collective evolutionary memory.

6.8 miles last night. Barefoot and in new Sockwa X8s. :)
Not a bad run, took it nice and easy took make sure Achilles is ok. Left the headphones behind so I couldn't have feedback on the run. Still brought the phone so I could analyse it after, lol. But with no feedback I was able to chill out and just enjoy running.
Good times.
http://runmeter.com/745217ae4f6b4757/Run-20130807-2103?r=e

Hey now, you're gonna make me not miss you while you're gone. :p I wasn't making excuses and for me to have a fast mile of 9:30 is still not bad, I just felt crummy.
Touchy aren't we:sorry:
In case you haven't noticed I do tease people once on a while and I was just teasing you:p

6.8 miles last night. Barefoot and in new Sockwa X8s. :)
Not a bad run, took it nice and easy took make sure Achilles is ok. Left the headphones behind so I couldn't have feedback on the run. Still brought the phone so I could analyse it after, lol. But with no feedback I was able to chill out and just enjoy running.
Good times.
http://runmeter.com/745217ae4f6b4757/Run-20130807-2103?r=e

Where did I read this before?:D feels like deja vu:really playful:

5.2km today. I sometimes run with a social running group on a Saturday morning, but I haven't done that since I ditched the shoes a few weeks ago. The regular course covers beach, roads, and a bit of the dreaded gravel, so I thought I should go out this morning and try out the tough bits to see if I could handle it. I couldn't handle the heckling I would get if I went barefoot and wimped out on the rough stuff. :)

As it turned out, it wasn't too bad, just a couple of ouchy sections. It was wet and cold this morning too, so I figure that's as bad as it's going to get.