Mileage Reporting 31st Week of 2013

Wow, that felt good. So f'ng good. Legs felt awesome. Guess the 2 days off got them well rested up and I just felt light, springy, and almost fast even though I was just running easy. It did get away from me some. I had been planning to do my first run of a mile this weekend, but I probably ran about a mile this morning. Nothing is hurting or tweaky here in the immediate aftermath, legs and feet have a good tingle to them. I wish I had known about this years ago. It's so much more beautiful to feel the feet dancing over the ground, or chip-seal in this case. I'm really beginning to better understand what's been written by the barefooters who have experience and about how important it is for the feet to feel things while we run.

I wish I had known when I was younger.

Hopped (more like rolled) out of bed at 4:30 this morning for a quick run in the neighborhood before work. Ran 5 miles. Was very misty but temp was in the mid 60's. Had to keep wiping my glasses to clear the dew off of them. The ground was wet as if it had rained and the feet were slightly tender on the last mile but still enjoyed the run. Had fun stepping in what little puddles of water remained from yesterdays rainy/misty weather.

I walked/ran 6 km yesterday. Sore in my calves today..
I did a very short walk to try to loosen the calves up today. Didn't work. I've gotten the advise to massage my calves. I'll do that.. :)

I have massaged/rolled my calves with a tennis ball when my calves were tight and its amazing how this really does help.

Another longish ( for me) 1.9m run today - in VfFs uphill to the halfway point and then bf down and round the lawns. It's a while since I ran in the VFFs and I was quite impressed. I was using a HR monitor for the first time, though, and have concluded that if I wanted to follow MAF guidelines my athletic activities would be restricted to pouring my post workout tea.

I did a very short walk to try to loosen the calves up today. Didn't work. I've gotten the advise to massage my calves. I'll do that.. :)

in minimal shoes? and you just started? yeah, 6 k is too much. but you will find out.
your legs and feet need to learn proper form. chances are yours isn't as good as you think it is now. another reason to start bare. you limit your distance because of your skin so it saves you from doing too much before you figure proper form. not trying to lecture. just saying i learned the hard way.

45 minutes of swimming, included a 15 min. interval and, after a slight increase in water flow speed, a 20 min. interval. Unfortunately, the stabilizing foam is getting worn down, so the machine began a little swinging and created some waves that upset my tummy. But still 45 minutes is okay, considering I originally wouldn't have made it 15 minutes under those conditions. Then, I scrubbed and vacuumed the pool, which even though it is on the small side, is it's own kind of upper body work out.

17 miles StG on Sunday - 7 of them slow with friends, 6 more pretty quick as I picked up a pacer and the last 4 a little slower.
Monday was a travel day so SFA and today I started a hike in my Mono's but a friends boots literally fell apart so I gave him my Luna's and walked about 5 miles barefoot (at 10,000+ feet through the Uintas) - great day!

17 miles StG on Sunday - 7 of them slow with friends, 6 more pretty quick as I picked up a pacer and the last 4 a little slower.
Monday was a travel day so SFA and today I started a hike in my Mono's but a friends boots literally fell apart so I gave him my Luna's and walked about 5 miles barefoot (at 10,000+ feet through the Uintas) - great day!

Wow impressive that sounds like a good day. How long you out there for?

Reactions: Go Barefoot

Just so you know, your calf muscles are also some of the same mucles that make up your arch (and play a role in the development of the extremely painful condition of plantar fasciitis). Therefore, if your calf muscles are painful and in need of massaging, you also need to massage your arch muscles. A golf ball works good - you probably won't realize there is even pain there, until you massage them.

If you aggravate your calf muscles long enough, the fascia (the skin that encloses them) will also become inflamed. Once that happens, it becomes extremely difficult -to impossible- to massage the muscles at all, because the inflammed fascia will be doing an excellent job of protecting the already angry muscles.

4 ish trail miles in about 2 ish hours, with about 1/2 mile of pavement thrown in and about 30 minutes of steep hiking, included. I am purposefully avoiding watching exact time and mileage right now cuz I was getting "too" caught up in the numbers. This causes me to have to search out new routes, which is kinda fun. I have been rolling out trigger points all day, today -primarily in my scapular area. I slept on my body pillow all wrong last night and got all twisted up!

Just so you know, your calf muscles are also some of the same mucles that make up your arch (and play a role in the development of the extremely painful condition of plantar fasciitis). Therefore, if your calf muscles are painful and in need of massaging, you also need to massage your arch muscles. A golf ball works good - you probably won't realize there is even pain there, until you massage them.

If you aggravate your calf muscles long enough, the fascia (the skin that encloses them) will also become inflamed. Once that happens, it becomes extremely difficult -to impossible- to massage the muscles at all, because the inflammed fascia will be doing an excellent job of protecting the already angry muscles.

Interesting my achilles tendonitis has recently morphed into plantar faciitis, and I have not been using my golf ball lately. Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: jldeleon

Thank you so much.

in minimal shoes? and you just started? yeah, 6 k is too much. but you will find out.
your legs and feet need to learn proper form. chances are yours isn't as good as you think it is now. another reason to start bare. you limit your distance because of your skin so it saves you from doing too much before you figure proper form. not trying to lecture. just saying i learned the hard way.

Thank you.
Yeah.. I found out...

Reactions: Go Barefoot

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts