Mileage Reporting 29th Week of 2013

6.7 miles this morning along the coastal path. Great run, great pace... With one exception. The unthinkable happened. The very thing every shod runner warns you about and you laugh off. I stood on a tiny shard of glass and cut the sole of my foot. Only about a 3mm cut but fairly deep. So pissed about it! I didn't see it at all, even after I stood on it. I just felt a sharp nip but didn't stop. Then after about 4 or 5 mins I pulled over thinking something was definitely wrong and I could feel it still in my foot. Turns out it was just sand and gravel. Ergh. I brushed it off and kept going. It wasn't bleeding that much an wasn't that sore but it kept feeling like the glass was still in there. A few more stops and I ended up throwing on the Sockwas and finishing my run. On the plus side, it was a great run. Great pace with minimal effort. In starting to get the downhill thing Ken Bob talks about. I'd been landing a little too flat to really open up in the downhill sections but today I focused on really forefoot striking the downhills and it worked great for me! :) good times!
Beat my prev best by about 4:30.
http://runmeter.com/745217ae4f6b4757/Run-20130721-1110?r=e

Easy recovery trail run/walk in the local woods behind my house...4 miles in about an hour. We had heavy rain yesterday and could see where the creek had flash flooded a bit. Parts of the trails were muddy slippery and slow...walked more than normal.

Bozo Lee,

haha! hey whats a mezzo run? i agree that the different views here are good and discussions are good. getting emotional is tough to stop. we all are an experiment of n=1 and have to find what works for us.

btw. injured means you can no longer function physically. a day off yesterday and i ran 4.69m. today. i always laugh when i see that number. i'm so childish. i forgot i was running downhill after hyper extending my ankle and saw some surveyors on the next trail. i looked at them and saw the root sticking out of the ground from the corner of my eye, but i decided it needed to be kicked anyhow. i kicked it pretty damn hard. thought i broke the skin but nothing. about 30s rest and kept on going. ya, it was the same right foot too.

my pf is getting slightly better. i know i have a weak post. tibialis. working on that. it's created a lot of problems but doesn't stop me from anything. no stretching for this clown, just rolling, mashing, and drinking to deal with the knots.

Nick,

i don't mind being given a hard time. just make sure it's words and not body parts you military men love grabbing.
:p

finished my week with over 25m. was about to go for a bike ride today too but not enough time.

Mike -finally! You kicked a root and I was NOT there! YAAAY! ;)

i'm always kicking roots and rocks. what really surprised that i nearly rolled my ankle. strange as it happened on a little dirt mound. i must've reached out and my weight, of which there is a lot, pushed my leg past my ankle and hyper extended it. at least i'm fine now and feel great after my run today.

Went to the local reservoir with the boat today. It makes hubby so verrrryyy happy. He found us a private beach. There was water play for the "kids". I did get in and practice my open water swimming for about 10 minutes, but mostly I sat under my umbrella. I would upload a short clip of me swimming, but I can't see how to do it!

and one attempt at climbing the rope.

i ran for almost two hours with the dogs. i went early while the clouds were out. feeling good. found a tree to put a rope in when jen let me know she was on the trail. i climbed it but we didn't put it up high enough.

Lee, i worked too hard and long to piss you off with my Mafisms. no way am i changing that line. :smug:

Dama, si no entiendes, voy a tratar a explicarlo. creo que quiseste decir que debo de para de ser mamon. pero dijiste que debo de encontrar alguien a chuparme. y eso me gusta.
btw, what's a whimpy pushup? begging for cheeseburgers each time you come up?

Eso no fue lo que dije:jaw drop: quise decir que si a ti no te gusta la forma que escribimos-ni modo es tu problema(es my dificil de transladar exactamente). Quota completa nada mas para ti mi amigo:p

I've stretched my chip-seal walks out to a little over 2 miles.

Spontaneously ran about 200 yards or so on the morning walk today.

Walked, barefoot of course, and golfed 18 holes yesterday afternoon.

Zippo miles over the weekend:D But lots of dancing Saturday over at Margaritaville is always fun.
I gotta tell you the story of this yearly party, one of my husband's racketball friends puts this block party every year in July and the first time we attended(about 4 yrs ago) and the rebel that I am, I thought well, since this is Margaritaville and a Jimmy Buffett theme it goes without saying that I should be barefooted so I kicked my sandals to the side:D.

My husband looked at me with a inquisitive look like saying are you crazy? and I just said "this is Margaritaville after all" so he being the smart guy that he is said nothing else:).
And like they say, monkey see monkey do most people kicked their sandals too...YES!!!.

Now every year all the regular attendees just assume that this is a barefoot party, hehehe, well except for the new people that join the party but they seem to catch on rather quickly cause soon after they are s2g also.

I WIN!!!

haha! hey whats a mezzo run? i agree that the different views here are good and discussions are good. getting emotional is tough to stop. we all are an experiment of n=1 and have to find what works for us.

Due to my love of insipid categorization, I invented four categories of run: micro (<1 mi), mini (1-3 mi), mezzo (3-6/8 mi), and macro (>6/8 mi). I haven't decided exactly where the cut-off between mezzo and macro runs is yet, because my conditioning is improving rapidly lately, but basically a mezzo run, for me, is kind of a standard, average run 30-60 minutes or so. Last February while I was rehabbing my ITBS, I tried doing a micro run on my non-running days, to see if keeping my legs loose during my rest days would help. And it did I think. That led me to come up with the concept of 'underuse' injuries. I think running too little can sometimes be just as injurious as running too much.

And don't let my turgid prose and lack of emoticons mislead you. I'm almost never emotionally involved in any of this. I'm from a lower middle class background, so writing didn't come easy to me in college, and since I spend most of my time writing technical academic stuff, I end up writing in that register a lot here as well. I'm not good enough to switch styles. Just read almost everything I write as being self-sardonic and always potentially ironic. I'm a geek trapped in a jock's body, so irony is second-nature.

As for Maf, let me repeat, once again, for the record, that I'm not anti-Maffetone or anything like that. While I don't believe running at a sub-aerobic pace makes much sense, based on my scant knowledge of physiology, and experiences in long-distance cycling and high-altitude hiking, I know you, Chris, Mokaman, Ely Dave, and other runners I respect quite a bit have benefitted a lot from this kind of training. Still, if someone asks about it and expresses their frustration with it, or simply doesn't enjoy running that way, then I feel a certain obligation to tell them there are other ways of getting to the same place, and they should check them out to see if they're more their cup of tea. OK, I promise, that's all I'll ever say about that ever again . . . I hope.

btw. injured means you can no longer function physically. a day off yesterday and i ran 4.69m. today. i always laugh when i see that number. i'm so childish. i forgot i was running downhill after hyper extending my ankle and saw some surveyors on the next trail. i looked at them and saw the root sticking out of the ground from the corner of my eye, but i decided it needed to be kicked anyhow. i kicked it pretty damn hard. thought i broke the skin but nothing. about 30s rest and kept on going. ya, it was the same right foot too.

I was just giving you crap about the injury stuff. If you weren't such a funny guy, and such a free-spirit, I wouldn't take the liberty, because I know how frustrating nagging injuries can be. But I know you have a thick skin like I do, and enjoying giving people sh!t. In fact, I think you're a self-confessed troll, are you not?

my pf is getting slightly better. i know i have a weak post. tibialis. working on that. it's created a lot of problems but doesn't stop me from anything. no stretching for this clown, just rolling, mashing, and drinking to deal with the knots.

I hope the pf continues to improve. I've never had that so I don't know what's involved, but seems like it might not hurt to give stretching a try. I'm convinced I never would've had ITBS if I had been more vigilant about stretching. Right now I'm even working on getting back to doing the splits. It's amazing how good being limber makes me feel.

28 miles of shod (NB MT110s, I'm really happy with these shoes), solo, trail adventure in the mountains. Wildlife, stunning views, rain, hail, lightning, bushwacking.

Prior to this run I had 14 barefoot miles in 3 runs for the week.
So envious Rick. All's I get are streets and sidewalks. Great to see you're running well again!

Went to the local reservoir with the boat today. It makes hubby so verrrryyy happy. He found us a private beach. There was water play for the "kids". I did get in and practice my open water swimming for about 10 minutes, but mostly I sat under my umbrella. I would upload a short clip of me swimming, but I can't see how to do it!
Sitting under an umbrella. That doesn't sound like the kinetic HBS I know. Are you alright?