Mileage Reporting 28th Week of 2013

Larry

Barefooters
Sep 13, 2012
Week 28.

I'm back on the horse after two weeks off with the mysterious knee problem. Ran a tentative 2.5km and didn't feel anything other than nervousness. Fingers crossed.

It was a very cold morning, around 5 degrees C. I was walking over the sand dunes to the beach in shorts and a t-shirt and no shoes, and ran into a bloke from down the road who was coming back with his dog and rugged up for winter. He looked at me and said "It looks like one of us is underdressed and one of us is overdressed".

The sunrise was nice, but it was so cold that I looked down and noticed that my toes were a brighter shade of pink compared to the rest of my feet. After I stopped running, I felt like I had some mud or sand stuck to the bottom of my feet in places, but it was just that I had a few numb patches that didn't feel right when they hit the ground. That was strange.

Also strange was the fact that I went out intending to go slowly and carefully, and somehow ran faster than what I normally do. Maybe my cautious shuffle is a better running style, or maybe I was subconsciously trying to keep my feet in the air for as long as possible. I don't know. Either way, I'm glad to be running again.

I have noticed a strange problem using Mapmyrun (android, Samsung Galaxy Y-->> PC). My runs are being logged with the correct date and elapsed time etc but a clock time-of-day that is way out, and for some reason this sometimes makes them appear on the following day of the PC mapmyrun calendar, despite the date being correct. I've checked that both PC and phone are showing correct time and date and set to the same time zone.

My spin bike ---> run report: I rode 20 minutes on the bike, then went for a 4.4 mile run. The 1st and 3rd miles included some rough pavement and street crossings, so I feel pretty good about the 8:20 pace for them. Mile 2 was a lovely, unstressful 7:57 mm. Miles 4 to the end included a lot of sharp gravel sections and the hill, so the 9mm pace wasn't too bad.

Am planning on a 2 hours group ride tonight to work on my biking stamina.

I ran by some men doing work on power line things along the road. The first exchanged cordial hellos with me. The other was pretty close, but apparently didn't hear, because right as I went by he dropped one of his shovels back behind him without looking and nearly took me out! All that empty stretch of road with no one on it, and it was that second he chose to let the shovel fall. Which meant I let out a yell right behind him. I just kept running, didn't look back to see him, but I didn't hear him say anything. Weird.

Yesterday evening I somehow tweaked my back a little while getting up from the dinner table at the inlaws. I was a little nervous this morning when I got up and it was still a little bit tender. I decided to go to the gym first instead of running and I did ST of chest, biceps, and triceps. Seemed exceptionally easy today. Must be because I usually run first which wears me down a bit before I even get started. I normally also do abs, but one rep was all I needed to do to know that hurt the hell out of my back. By the end of my gym workout my back was feeling much better so I decided to go for a run after all. I ran 4.26 miles in my new luna monos which just got here for the second time (size issue first time). I averaged a 9:56 pace over the whole run which included about a 1.25 mile long hill. I am very happy with that pace. I need to download my garmin, but I think mile 2 was in the high 8's if my mental math while running is correct. Man, I'm really looking forward to seeing what I can do without the stroller. I still wouldn't compete with LB, but even if I did he would cry foul and say I had youth on my side. ;) Just kidding LB! Anyhow, my back is feeling quite a bit better so hopefully I will wake up tomorrow and the pain will be completely gone. Oh, and I developed a blister on the ball of the one foot from the monos mgt footbed. Not sure how to stop that exactly. The skin sticks particularly well to this footbed but the bone actually still slides a touch which caused the blister. Never had this happen in sandals before. Maybe I was pushing off too much or something with that foot.

Ran 5 miles at 4:30, 82 deg., 66%rh, no wildlife to speak of, heard the rooster crow. this is the start of week 12 of training. great run.
feet good. legs good. still love to run barefoot!!

I have noticed a strange problem using Mapmyrun (android, Samsung Galaxy Y-->> PC). My runs are being logged with the correct date and elapsed time etc but a clock time-of-day that is way out, and for some reason this sometimes makes them appear on the following day of the PC mapmyrun calendar, despite the date being correct. I've checked that both PC and phone are showing correct time and date and set to the same time zone.
Same problem here - I figure it is just because my timezone is way out and those crazy Americans can't write software that works for the rest of the world. :) I'd send them a friendly email if I ever got motivated, but I'm happy to deal with it, seeing as I'm getting it for free.

Didn't run at all this past weekend. So this week I'm gonna get my "run" on! I think anyway. Went for a 30 minute run this evening, tried the whole get up early and run before work...... that didn't happen.

Ran 15 minutes out and 15 minutes back, didn't quite get back to my starting point in the end. I was about a block shy. Ended up running 3.77 miles in 30.
Think I tweaked my ankle doing yard work yesterday, it's a bit sore after the run tonight.

Hoping to run again tomorrow and possibly force myself to do a slow run.

I averaged a 9:56 pace over the whole run which included about a 1.25 mile long hill. I am very happy with that pace. I need to download my garmin, but I think mile 2 was in the high 8's if my mental math while running is correct. Man, I'm really looking forward to seeing what I can do without the stroller.
Downloaded my Garmin and my fastest mile was an 8:50! Ya buddy! This was on relatively flat ground while pushing the stroller!

A nice and steady 11.6km (7.2mi) this morning..Last week I felt my calfs were very stiff, and as usual, a few days of TPtherapy roller (http://www.tptherapy.com/) made the trick..I'd love to get a bigger one, but they are very expensive, so the cheap foam roller does the trick for upper legs and back :)

Well you guys have heard me talk about wanting to run on the rough asphalt in my neighborhood instead of driving to the bike trails each day and guess what? It finally happened tonight! Yea! (If I had one of those party horns you know the ones like a rolled up piece a paper that roll out when you blow into them I would be blowing it right now!) The temp was about 92F when I started my run by walking .7 miles over to the lake loop for a bit of a warm up after doing some stretches in my drive way. Started out running extra careful taking smaller strides than normal hoping not to step on one of those loose stones that bruise your foot for a couple of days. I knew that this careful running usually gives me tight calf muscles from the extra exertion in my legs to run lightly. The distance around the lake is a bit over 1.2 miles with varying ages (textures) of asphalt all the way around. The textures seem to be 1. Rough, 2. Very rough, 3. Damn, and 4. Holy crap! My first lap my legs were good but the soles were telling me this surface was more of a challenge than the asphalt at the park I have ran in the past week. Lap two I was still running extra careful and decided to pick up the pace some to avoid sore leg muscles later on. The quicker pace definitely felt better on the legs and the soles were feeling slightly better too. Just into my 3rd lap I came upon a lady about 8 to 10 years older than me walking barefoot with nicely tanned legs and feet. From the looks of her soles I though maybe she frequently walks/maybe runs barefoot. I ran past her slightly and asked if she wanted to run barefoot with me to see what her response was as I have never met anyone else walking or running barefoot during my runs. She said "No that's alright" and she looked down like she was looking at the bottoms of my feet which were black from the asphalt and said "It looks like your a bit more ambitious than I am since your running and I'm just walking." I asked if she went barefoot much and she said she mostly likes to walk barefoot. Then she went towards a house on the lake and I continued on my run. On the 4th lap I concentrated on spreading my toes as much as possible which seems to help my leg muscles relax. Go figure! My last lap was lap 5 and the bottoms of my feet were getting kinda sore. It felt good to actually stop running after I completed the 5th lap giving me 6 miles total and to walk the .7 miles back home. On the walk back home on more asphalt I could really tell my soles were sore but ok. My feet are all tingly this evening after the run. Glad I did it though and my legs feel good so far with no tight muscles. Will do another run this week here but maybe not tomorrow night we will see how the soles feel.

Didn't run at all this past weekend. So this week I'm gonna get my "run" on! I think anyway. Went for a 30 minute run this evening, tried the whole get up early and run before work...... that didn't happen.

Ran 15 minutes out and 15 minutes back, didn't quite get back to my starting point in the end. I was about a block shy. Ended up running 3.77 miles in 30.
Think I tweaked my ankle doing yard work yesterday, it's a bit sore after the run tonight.

Hoping to run again tomorrow and possibly force myself to do a slow run.

Sometimes, during super-busy days/times, I will take several 10 minute runs throughout the day. Quit tweaking your body parts!

hey everybody. paragraphs make reading your posts much easier. please use them they are your friends. embrace them. :D

took my mom and some children to the beach today. the girls walked the dogs down the beach so after a trip to the car i went for a jaunt after them. when i didn't see them over by haystack rock i just kept on running. no garmin. no hr monitor. no dog. was fun. about 5 miles.

hey everybody. paragraphs make reading your posts much easier. please use them they are your friends. embrace them. :D

took my mom and some children to the beach today. the girls walked the dogs down the beach so after a trip to the car i went for a jaunt after them. when i didn't see them over by haystack rock i just kept on running. no garmin. no hr monitor. no dog. was fun. about 5 miles.

Hey capitals are also your friend!!! :p

Same problem here - I figure it is just because my timezone is way out and those crazy Americans can't write software that works for the rest of the world. :) I'd send them a friendly email if I ever got motivated, but I'm happy to deal with it, seeing as I'm getting it for free.
yes, now I've worked out that it is the time I can cope with it. It was driving me mad before because the date was correct ans I couldn't see why it was appearing on the wrong day! So if it is a problem others have had too, I'll just ignore it and keep fixing the times manually.

SU 7/7/2013
three-mile bicycle commute

M 7/8/2013
Morning: 1.74-mile run, 4:30am, down to jhs track, two laps, back home. Felt like doing more.

Then, three-mile bicycle commute

Afternoon: truncated lower-body st workout, just deadlifts and power cleans

TU 7/9/2013
Morning: 3.5 mi / 5.6 km run, (3:30am!)

3-mile bicycle commute

This week I’m taking up Nick’s suggestion of running every day or nearly every day. I’m keeping the mileage low until I know better how my legs will react, but the plan is to eventually do 1-2 miles on my st days, and 6-7 miles on my non-st days, and then a longer run on weekends, and finally one day of complete rest on the non-longrun weekend day. As with Nick, my sense is that if I can run more consistently, and with a bit more weekly mileage overall, I should see more rapid improvements in my running fitness. Just gotta make sure I'm not setting myself up for an overuse injury.

I’m also trying to run first thing in the morning. This is another idea I've had for a long time, but just never could seem to motivate. With afternoon temps up in the high 80s/low 90s, now is a good time to give it another try. And for some reason, the last two days it’s been surprisingly easy to get out of bed and hit the road right away. A family friend from Mozambique called at 3am. My wife didn’t answer but it was enough to wake me up for good. As I lay in bed for a few minutes, I told myself it was too early to go out and run, but all I found myself thinking about was going out to run. So I went out and ran.

It was very pleasant, although it was still hot enough that I sweated pretty good. Almost no one around, the birds hadn’t even woken up yet. Reminded me of when I used to deliver newspapers in high school early in the morning. In fact, there was an older guy I used to always see out running at that time of day. I guess I’m becoming him. He ran kinda of funny though, very stiffly, almost like he couldn’t bend his knees more than 20-30 degrees, and so kinda waddled side-to-side in compensation, like an upside-down pendulum.

On a particularly dark section out by the St. Paul Campus, I raked my big toe a bit. Ouch. Not a full-fledged stub, but a bit painful nonetheless. I walked a few hundred feet to get a sense of the injury. The pain quickly dissipated so I continued the run. I got a Petzl headlamp arriving tomorrow from Amazon.

In sum, I'm changing up my running routine; earlier and more frequent. It's a bit risky, since my running has been going pretty well for the last five months or so, but I think I've developed enough awareness now that I should be able adjust to any nigglity that may come up. The potential reward of improved running fitness is worth the risk. The most immediate concern is fighting off the afternoon drowsiness that early morning exercise provokes. May have to succumb to some espresso arousal.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test