Mileage Reporting 27th Week of 2013

No run last night as plans changed to go watch some fireworks with my wifes Grandmother. Had a great time and the fireworks were good too.
Got up early (5:00am) and ran on my usual trail route. Was nice and cool in the mid 60's I think. Decided to run my last mile through the park on the rough asphalt for some sole conditioning as I want to begin running all of my runs in the neighborhood to save me from driving to the trails. My neighbor hood is mostly asphalt. Old rough asphalt I should mention! Had a great 1 mile loop through the park. There are several mulberry trees that overhang the road through the park with berries that had ripened and dropped onto the road. As I stepped on them I could feel them bursting under my feet. They felt cool as I stepped on them and soon I found myself purposely running through the areas of the road which had the most berries. :) Guess it was the kid in me coming out! After reaching my car I noticed the mulberries had stained the bottoms of my feet a deep dark purple color! Oh well it was fun while it lasted! Anyway had a great run and ran this mornings run a bit quicker to alleviate the tight muscles I sometimes get while running slower paces. Oh and my distance ran this morning was 6.25 miles!

I had a moment of Zen after the run. I'd been trying to increase my pace on Wednesday but ended up going slower!!? Baffled.
Friday, I was pacing myself in the marathon, getting ready for "The Hill" and just trying not to go out too fast so I could make it to the end. But hey, turned out I was going faster without trying. Just concentrating on my form. Brilliant.
More pace, less effort!
Tried "running slow" again last night on a 3miler and beat my prev best by 3mins 52! It's like it's all fallen in to place! Good times.

Ain't it amazing? The less you "try" the easier it gets and the faster you go!

Gotta love relaxin'!

16 miles last week.

I'd been trying to increase my pace on Wednesday but ended up going slower!!? Baffled.
Friday, I was pacing myself in the marathon, getting ready for "The Hill" and just trying not to go out too fast so I could make it to the end. But hey, turned out I was going faster without trying. Just concentrating on my form. Brilliant.
More pace, less effort!
Tried "running slow" again last night on a 3miler and beat my prev best by 3mins 52! It's like it's all fallen in to place! Good times.

Those three things happen to me all the time. Just run! :D

Still taking it easy after the great (double) stone bruise incident of 'ought thirteen. Also started a new job/career and that is taking some getting used to (lots of mental effort for which I am poorly equipped). Feet are slowly getting better. I hope to start running again, in earnest, early next week.

Ran 5 miles at 5:45 am (late start today) 76 deg., 56% rh.. Great run (left calf a little tight but ok). Third day in a row (I do not usually do this). Went for breakfast and rode the mountain bike trail 6 miles excellent ride.
I hope everyone has a great holiday.
Legs good. Feet Good (ready for 1/2 Saturday)

Ran 5 miles at 5:45 am (late start today) 76 deg., 56% rh.. Great run (left calf a little tight but ok). Third day in a row (I do not usually do this). Went for breakfast and rode the mountain bike trail 6 miles excellent ride.
I hope everyone has a great holiday.
Legs good. Feet Good (ready for 1/2 Saturday)
So, you are resting tomorrow, right?

Reactions: Go Barefoot
Just back from a 3 day retreat at a monastery in Yorkshire. I went barefoot the whole time except for a couple of short bits where the steep asphalt drive was wet and the combination of wet and rough felt like it was a good time to try out my homemade huaraches. I was a bit worried it would look like I was trying to out-holy the monks, but no one made any comments to that effect. I got a few 'aren't you cold's and some 'I could never do that's and one possibly slightly hostile 'you forgot your shoes?' which I just smiled at as if it was a joke, which it might have been. One of the other people on the retreat had heard of barefoot running and knew it involved landing on the forefoot and so we got into a discussion and someone else said they might try it so I told them to google a few sites and not overdo it.
Mostly I was just walking around the place but one afternoon I went for a walk of about a mile and a half with some short runs interspersed. My feet felt fine after that; I was pleased.
Wore socks and shoes for the journey back, and my feet now feel what my grandmother would have called 'drawn'.

1st run of the week today...worked too much with almost no sleep thru the week...slept like 15 hours yesterday instead of running. Last nite a min-shodie friend talked me into pacing him at the Peachtree roadrace today so I agree'd on one condition we start at the very very back of the whole race...so we did. Finished in just over an hour...my friends 10k pace, 2 minutes faster than he did last year so I consider that a success...finished faster than 40,000 other runners.

This is always a great people watcher race...saw at least a dozen Vibram runners and some other min-shods...only saw barefooters after the race so not sure if they ran barefoot or not. A great irony was the run-out after the finish was in a grassy park and the recent heavy rain with 55,0000 runners turned this into a virtual mudpit...loved that as the shoddie's had to get their clean shoes very muddy after the race...while I enjoyed the mud between my toes.

13.5km (8.5mi) with 6 x 1.5km intervals, and 2' recovery in between...sunday, long and slow run, I am planning to go to Sydney's equivalent of central park in NY (but just about half the size ;) ) and do a bit of trail running.

Welp, I think I went and overdid it today. Maybe not though. I ran 6 miles in my lunas at an easy 10:46 avg pace and then I went to the gym and did ST of shoulders, back, and legs. I felt great and fine during the run, but within 10 minutes in the gym I knew I was in for a struggle. I had to take a Xanax last night due to the fireworks (yes some of us vets don't do so well with them anymore) and yesterday I had developed allergies/cold. This morning I had taken a Zyrtek which seemed to help a bit, but I think these two medicines did me in today. I am struggling to stay awake and do homework and just move in general. I feel so incredibly weak now. Ugh. At least I have a full weekend of rest planned which should hopefully help me recover. I don't feel like I injured myself at all, just feel like when one hits that wall of no energy that comes after hard exercise and lack of nutrition. Oh ya, ate like crap last night but kept my calories in check so still lost some weight yesterday.

i did 4 miles in the midday heat. no probs for me but the dog was a bit slow. his tongue turned bright red quick and i forgot to bring his water. the streams on the trail were reduced to mostly mud puddles but he got a few sips. he was able to make it all the way and didn't have to be carried at all. it may have helped that i wet him down before we ran and after.

plus side. jen can't run with me in the heat! woohoo!

Umm - don't want to be the bad guy here - but running with a dog in the noon day heat and humidity is positively dangerous for the dog. Remember they cannot sweat like we do - they lose heat from panting - moisture being exhaled and through their paws. Your dog, from your description, was in a great deal of distress.. We see quite a few dogs die horrible deaths here every year when owners leave them in cars or exercise them during the heat of the day. Please check with your vet about running with your best friend in the heat. Advice offered with the greatest of respect - I am dog lover, obedience and agility trainer and my wife worked at a veterinary practice for quite a few years. I run with my dogs from 5AM through to 8 AM at the latest - anytime after that and it is just not worth the risk to my best friends....

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts