Mileage reporting 24th week 2014

Did not get much time to run today and was a bit sore from the 400's speed training yesterday but did run 2.8 something miles on the local trails BF. My wife and I just finished mowing the yard this evening and my soles are stained dark green as usual. Probably time to do some stretches, clean up and then hit the hay. Plan on running 6 miles in the neighbor hood tomorrow evening after work for some sole building.

Wednesday - slowish 5km on the beach. My first run in two weeks after I strained my ankle at basketball. It's still not 100%, but it was good enough to test out, and the little bit of achey pain I was experiencing didn't feel like the sort of thing you feel when you're making it worse. I kept it short just to be sure though. No major soreness afterwards. Yippee!

Winter has come along while I was resting though - it was 4 degrees C (39F) at 6:30 in the morning, and I got that weird feeling you get where it feels like you have a big cake of mud on the sole of your foot, but there's actually nothing there.

The first bit was in the dark, but the end of the run was running towards a glorious sunrise, which made it all worth it. I've missed that.

Egg laying week, though I had to do water exercises/swimming, today, to off-set the 3+ consecutive hours I sat typing at the computer, yesterday. My pecs, sternos, and erectors, were screaming at me all night. Tomorrow I am looking forward to working out ALL day! On a side note, I spend a lot of time rolling out my pecs and sternum, which causes me to put my butt up in the air -and I don't care who sees. I traumatize at least one person a day. The 4 elderly people who just passed by were especially traumatized. Lol!

13.9km/8.6mi with some mild intervals in there. Feels good, weather is getting cold, but not as cold as Larry, down south :). We have about 16C/61F, and it is probably as cold as it will get (well ok, maybe we'll get down to 12C/54F)

Threshold run on a treadmill ...0.5 mile warmup...2.1 miles at oxygen debt threshold...core strength routine, 2 sets each body zone circuit weight training, no break between sets to keep cardio intensity high...one legged squats and lunges...1 mile outside barefoot on concrete to work on running form.

2.7 miles Sandals 1 mile STG

3.7 miles total

Over the last six weeks or so, total miles: 162

YTD: 162

Today was my hard running workout for the week. A total of 4.6 miles that had 6 hill repeats done after warming up for about 2.2 miles. They went pretty well, faster than the repeats I had done back in March on the same hill, even though the dewpoint was about 68 degrees this morning. On the other hand, these were run at higher heart rate than back in March, but I suspect that even if I had backed off a bit to where the heart rates would have been the same, I still ran at a faster pace.

I also suspect that one factor that helped me run these repeats harder is how I've been using the heart rate monitor to keep the easy runs really easy. That's one of the ideas that's appealed to me about using the tool of a heart rate monitor, doing so gives me a good measuring stick to keep the easy runs and the hard stuff hard. It also makes it easier in a sense to run the harder stuff hard because the legs aren't as beat up.

AT LAST! Someone who talks about the dewpoint! The dewpoint is THE difference between being able to breathe while I run, or suffocate!

sunday: nice long hike at the nature center. shoes, moc3s, cuz my feet are still bruised. 5+ miles. Wonderful.
a wee weight session in the evening.

monday; bikeride! bit it cuz I was borrowing a bike and not used to toe clips, and also grace never came easy to me. All bloody on one knee, so swim might be out for a while.
a wee session playing racquetball with friends and my kids. FUN.
a wee little hike to set off the evening and discuss life decisions.
Waiting eagerly for the bruises at the bottoms of my feet to heal so I can once again start doing some more bf trail running!

Man trust me on this, go running with the bruises, it'll make them heal faster, and after a few minutes running your endorphins will mask the pain....I got a heck of a bruise on my left arch the first trail run I did up and down the mountain...just kept running everyday...worked out great ;-)

Thursday - much needed rest day

Friday - 2 miles barefoot (hooray!) around my pond loop. Basically just me, my dog, and the bugs there as early as I went. The die-hard early morning fisherman were in the reeds.

Am riding the spin bike for 45 minutes now. May get to a short swim this afternoon. I guess that would make it a mini-backwards-triathlon

4 super easy miles yesterday, all because I had a bad hangover caused by 1 pint of beer the night before. Weird, I drank plenty of water before going to bed, but my head was throbbing good yesterday morning. Guess I won't have that particular beer again.

5.5 regular easy miles today which went pretty good in spite of this soupy air mass right now. Went good up until my blood sugar went low on me. Don't know why that happened, it's like the liver decided to not kick in this morning. I'll just have to keep an eye on that and see if it was a fluke occurrence or if my body is going to have metabolic cycle shift.

Just finished a nice 6.55 mile run in my neighbor hood this morning. Chose to run on the rough asphalt for some sole building instead of hitting the smooth bike trail. According to my handy dandy new to me running app (Map My Run) my split times were:
1st mi - 8:33
2nd mi - 7:51
3rd mi - 7:57
4th mi - 8:36
5th mi - 8:13
6th mi - 7:54

Was not pushing myself and guess I'm happy with those times for now. Still concentrating on building distance at this time.

I trotted the 7 miles home last night at a leisurely 8:40 pace with an AHR of 117 having run 5 miles to work in the morning about 1:30/mile faster with an AHR of 135.

This morning I got to avoid a run in cold pishing rain as I had to open work early! If it's raining tonight it will, at least, be much warmer :)

Sweet 5 mile run at 5:00 am., 75 deg., 83% rh. Still seeing lighting bugs. I like um.

No running at all today, taking a day totally off from running, am pretty sore from yesterday's workout, so today I will just do a couple sets of 100 ups, and some stretching while watching TV ;-)

15.3 miles of STG trail running with some challenging climbs planned for this weekend...think I'll hit the sack early tonight and sleep 10 hours :)

Wooo...those one legged squats and lunges really did a number on my glutes lol

Very pleased with my easy feeling pace for 6 barefoot miles around my pond loop. I was tired after a lovely, but rather late visit from my oldest daughter and a grandbaby last night, so I knew I was going to have to just take-it-easy. Found myself very, very comfortably, accidentally running around a 10mm pace. A few months ago, a pace that felt that easy would have been 11:00 - 12:00 mm pace. Without trying, ended up faster by a few seconds per mile with each mile. So encouraging. Only almost got hooked by fisherman casting their lines a couple of times. There were quite a few people wandering around there this morning, so can't figure out why they don't look first!

Didn't get to swimming yesterday, but it will be a priority this afternoon.

Sun - 3.5 hours trail hiking.

Mon - upper body ST workout

Tues - 3.5 mile trail run in local woods

wed - lower body ST workout

Thurs - 5 mile run local roads

Sat - 5 mile pavement run plus 2 miles walking up/down Stone Mountain with 2 other Georgia chapter runners

6.57 miles today STG...felt really great...was supposed to be a 5 mile run on the trail, but my day got away from me watching World Cup matches and got too late to drive to trail and complete the run before sunset.

Did the first mile and a quarter on the local track, which is extremely uncomfortable to run on, its hard as concrete with a thin layer of very course sharp sand bordering on gravel...see pick below...its like running on concrete with a thin layer of sharp, non-cushioning gravel on top.

That track forces me to run with proper form, as pushing off hurts a lot, and not landing softly and picking the feet up quickly above 180 steps per minute hurts a lot too.

I had previously only ran a bit under 3 miles STG on concrete, so I wanted to start on that torturous track to get proper form set in before attempting such a big leap in STG concrete miles.

Worked great...no problems at all doubling my previous miles on concrete. :)

Each mile I improved my mile split time...first mile was at 13.28 mm...last mile was at 9:53 mm...peak pace for the last quarter mile was 7:19 mm.

I think I don't really get warmed up and settled into a rhythm until I've ran at least 5k. :-/

YTD miles: 168.5

image.jpg