Mileage Reporting 21st Week of 2013

3.28 barefoot miles. Averaged an 11:54 pace, so I am slowly getting better despite adding on a quarter mile. Also did some ST of chest and triceps today. Feeling pretty good and am really working to lose weight. By the way, how the heck am I the one starting the mileage reporting forum when people like Lee count Sundays as their start of the week????

3 mile recovery run. Discovered that asphalt is a different temperature at 72°F after all day in the sun than it is at 72°F in the morning. Don't see any blisters so far. I could not have comfortably gone farther without some footwear.

Discovered that asphalt is a different temperature at 72°F after all day in the sun than it is at 72°F in the morning.
I see something similar, and also the feets are more sensitive (seems sort of obvious though) to colder surface, if you compare similar roughness

11.5km (7.2mi) recovery run today, very slow @ 5'50"/km (9'20"/mi). Some nice hills to get my heart pumping in the middle, make it just that little bit more interesting !

Have you been getting good quality sleep and enough of it? I find that my muscles start to get stiff and sore if I don't get enough good quality sleep.
Sometimes yes sometimes no. Last week started out poor since I was on call for work, and have to go in early too (get up ~4am). I was only the on call guy until Thursday since I had traded half a week (I would have been the on call guy the weekend of my 1/2 marathon a couple weeks ago). Fri and Sat night was so-so, as I was staying at my MIL's house with her stiff as a board bed (I prefer the floating on clouds super plush mattress, so its a big change).

But I know what your getting at. Many people get by with so little sleep. My supervisor at work who is a health nut and body builder says he can never sleep much more than 4 hours. he says 5hrs is a lot. I honestly start falling apart after just a couple days with that little sleep. 6hrs is probably my norm, 7 sometimes, but usually 8-9 on weekends/non-working days. Unlike those people who just can't sleep that long, I really wish I could sleep longer. Getting a solid 8hrs does seem to make me feel so much better. Its just impractical with a wife and son who have no concept of getting up early or going to bed at a decent hour. I don't even think this year my son has ever been to sleep earlier than I on a weekday, and he is only 7. I was in jr high before I was ever allowed to even stay up till 9! And the hour drive to work doesnt help the issue either.

Hope you dont mind I copied us over to the new thread, didnt want to keep the other one going into a different week.

3 mile recovery run. Discovered that asphalt is a different temperature at 72°F after all day in the sun than it is at 72°F in the morning. Don't see any blisters so far. I could not have comfortably gone farther without some footwear.
I forget your history barefoot running, is this your first summer? Or just forgot about the hot asphalt problem after a long winter? I've got myself in trouble on a couple runs last year during the summer - didnt blister but hurt as bad! Going to have to switch to early morning runs or trail runs that are in more shade from now on.

You're doing great Tristan, be careful though and don't push it too much let yor body recover from the race before you add more distance...just sayin'. Oh wait, you're young..er go on. Seriously, take it easy.
Thanks for the advice Dama, I probably should ask more questions. I think since reading some books and getting advice here my training has become much better. The way I used to train was pretty much a disaster. But now I have some basics down I kind of go off on my own again. I usually go by the 10% rule of thumb that works pretty well for me so far adding mileage. But this is a little different, as its not just a normal week but following a pretty intense for me race. But still its only a half marathon, and it had been two weeks. Was doing 14mi at an average pace too much still you think (with warmup and cooldown only 10.3mi was the main part of the run)? I think the speed work I did last Thursday was probably worse, and I think recovering from that might have been more of a concern than the 1/2 thats been two weeks.

I wish I could recover faster... I do remember back when I was still in high school how we would run every day of the week except some Sundays, and two races per week as well. Never remember being that sore! And still I hear people on here or elsewhere that run every day. Probably easier runs but still, I'd like to be at that level. Need to work on diet more, sleep, stress...

Reactions: Go Barefoot
I forget your history barefoot running, is this your first summer? Or just forgot about the hot asphalt problem after a long winter? I've got myself in trouble on a couple runs last year during the summer - didnt blister but hurt as bad! Going to have to switch to early morning runs or trail runs that are in more shade from now on.
I'm actually starting to lose track of exactly how long I've been running barefoot. I think it's been just over 3 years now. I am always thinking about all the temperature variables, but thought 72 degrees out would be okay. I've run at those temps in the morning, but never in the early evening. I ran when it was close to 80 one time last year, but, again, it was just before noon, so I was able to go about 4.5 miles before putting on shoes with no problem. So the 72 at 4 PM surprised me by having warmed up the pavement that much. I had been working out in the yard barefoot all day, which included a fair amount of time on red brick pavers with no discomfort at all, so I thought I had tested it. I don't seem to have any blisters today, but the feet are still a bit tender. I don't think it will be a problem on my run tomorrow, though, especially if I go when it is cooler.

As for stiffness, I am still very stiff from my half on Saturday. I have never been this stiff after the sprint triathlons I've done over the last 3 years, or after any other race in my past. And I am getting plenty of sleep. I really started having a lot more stiffness over the last couple of years in general, but I am running more miles, too.

Great report Laura, it was a PR for you regardless. I always get inspired by the older runners and I hope I could still running when I reach "that" age.
I am really surprised that you're feeling stiff after the race ever since I started to run barefoot I don't get stiff not even after running a marathon but I remember feeling the way you do when I ran in shoes. Interesting.

Great report Laura, it was a PR for you regardless. I always get inspired by the older runners and I hope I could still running when I reach "that" age.
I am really surprised that you're feeling stiff after the race ever since I started to run barefoot I don't get stiff not even after running a marathon but I remember feeling the way you do when I ran in shoes. Interesting.
Thanks! It may be that I am testing my limits right now. I'm also quite active for the rest of the day during the spring and summer, too, with all the yard work. I'm massaging my legs about every night. I'm having fun doing it all, so it's okay.

Reactions: Bare Lee
3.28 barefoot miles. Averaged an 11:54 pace, so I am slowly getting better despite adding on a quarter mile. Also did some ST of chest and triceps today. Feeling pretty good and am really working to lose weight.
Great to hear of your continued progress Nick! I'm also wanting to lose some weight, but some of it is definitely migrating to the upper body too. I'm starting to notice it a bit in the mirror. Greater consistency in my st is getting results, now that it's been several months without any nagging shoulder stuff.
By the way, how the heck am I the one starting the mileage reporting forum when people like Lee count Sundays as their start of the week????
Jeez Nick, you're not paying attention. You even replied to my comment about running in the rain (which apparently killed my dumb smart phone in my small item belt--I think I'm going to replace it with one of those heavy duty kinds) on Sunday at the end of the 20th week of Mileage Reporting .

(Western) Calendars begin the week on Sunday, but I'm like you, for me, the workout week begins on Monday, and yesterday mine began with deadlifts. Oh yeah. Then Squats. Yes. Then Power Cleans. Uh huh. And so on and so forth. A nice leisurely workout so I ran out of time before I could get to the ankle-weighted mobility stuff, despite taking the whole hour I had allotted myself. But that's OK, my legs will be a bit fresher now for today's run down on the track. Looking forward to my sandy/gravelly massage!

@Nice write-up Laura!

Great to hear of your continued progress Nick! I'm also wanting to lose some weight, but some of it is definitely migrating to the upper body too. I'm starting to notice it a bit in the mirror. Greater consistency in my st is getting results, now that it's been several months without any nagging shoulder stuff.

Jeez Nick, you're not paying attention. You even replied to my comment about running in the rain (which apparently killed my dumb smart phone in my small item belt--I think I'm going to replace it with one of those heavy duty kinds) on Sunday at the end of the 20th week of Mileage Reporting .

(Western) Calendars begin the week on Sunday, but I'm like you, for me, the workout week begins on Monday, and yesterday mine began with deadlifts. Oh yeah. Then Squats. Yes. Then Power Cleans. Uh huh. And so on and so forth. A nice leisurely workout so I ran out of time before I could get to the ankle-weighted mobility stuff, despite taking the whole hour I had allotted myself. But that's OK, my legs will be a bit fresher now for today's run down on the track. Looking forward to my sandy/gravelly massage!

@Nice write-up Laura!
I'm on my phone as doing a research project for school has gotten my computer a virus, so bare with me that I quoted your whole post Lee. I was just giving you a hard time and I remembered that you now start your week on Mondays. In anycase, I do find myself wondering just how much weight I really can take off. I am of the thicker body type, with muscles, so I wonder if I can even take off 30 pounds like I want. 20 pounds might be about my limit without the extreme dieting.

5.5 miles:D

Sunday: 1.5 hr in a new aquatic center, where my kids can go nuts in the water park area while i lap swim. lots of breaks to check on kids. daughter got big goozle and wanted to leave but by the time we were done with showers, she was ready to go again, so since this water park is quite a drive for us, we stopped at one of my favorite dunes hiking/beach areas.

late afternoon; about 3 miles bf hiking, sandy trails w/ twigs and a bit of gravel, some time on the shore with legs immersed (cold!!!). feet were fine. skin was torn up by mosquitoes
sunset: does an evening stroll with ice cream along the boardwalk in the beach town count? half a mile or so. calories in, calories out, calories IN

Monday: swim, about an hour then walk

Tuesday: 1 hr swim this morning, workout at gym (light elliptical and weights here and there), and now i'm at my kids swim lesson. lap swim starts afterwards and its way too hot in here not to want to jump in for at least a little bitty double dip

Sunday: 1.5 hr in a new aquatic center, where my kids can go nuts in the water park area while i lap swim. lots of breaks to check on kids. daughter got big goozle and wanted to leave but by the time we were done with showers, she was ready to go again, so since this water park is quite a drive for us, we stopped at one of my favorite dunes hiking/beach areas.

late afternoon; about 3 miles bf hiking, sandy trails w/ twigs and a bit of gravel, some time on the shore with legs immersed (cold!!!). feet were fine. skin was torn up by mosquitoes
sunset: does an evening stroll with ice cream along the boardwalk in the beach town count? half a mile or so. calories in, calories out, calories IN

Monday: swim, about an hour then walk

Tuesday: 1 hr swim this morning, workout at gym (light elliptical and weights here and there), and now i'm at my kids swim lesson. lap swim starts afterwards and its way too hot in here not to want to jump in for at least a little bitty double dip

The hiking sounds awesome!

The hiking sounds awesome!

It was. lovely dunes-y trails, breeze blowing, mosquitoes making us swift while in the woods then disappearing at the shore. it's a beautiful beach. you have to hike at least 3/4 mile on the shortest trail to get out there, and there are at least a couple miles long of shoreline, my guess, so crowding is never an issue.i took pics but i would have to shrink them. will do if i have time. i want to start bf running out there at least once per week this summer if possible.