Mileage Reporting 1st Week of 2013

The only way to break in the year, look who is in the lead and those are some elite runners back there. And no I did not jump the start. That is all my barefooting power, there baby.........

That is just badass! Gonna be hard to top that pic before the end of the year :D

Me, I ran 13.5Km today, with 412m of ascent, really, really steep climbs, ridiculous terrain - with my dog Leni, of course :D

I wonder if this works for non-members:

http://www.runtastic.com/de/benutzer/william-garabrant/sportaktivitaeten/38043069

There are some pics there as well ...

That is just badass! Gonna be hard to top that pic before the end of the year :D

Me, I ran 13.5Km today, with 412m of ascent, really, really steep climbs, ridiculous terrain - with my dog Leni, of course :D

I wonder if this works for non-members:

http://www.runtastic.com/de/benutzer/william-garabrant/sportaktivitaeten/38043069

There are some pics there as well ...
Unfortunately we cannot see the run details, but 412m ascent is a nice achievement !

And I agree about Barefooting Bob's picture, it is very cool !! (quite literally)

three miles / five km, another half mile / kilometer walking home with my daughter on my shoulders after picking her up at Discovery Club. I stopped to stretch a few times, but no walking breaks now that I'm shod and I don't have to worry about keeping moving. No ITBS, or any other initialisms for that matter, during or after the run, so the year has started well. Knock on wood. It was a pleasant 18 F, no wind, got sweaty underneath my new gear but not too bad. Ran through a nice patch of unshoveled snow and got to test out the tread of my Neo Trails a bit more. So far, so good. An excellent running shoe for the winter, although the clop-clop of the lugs on the dry patches is annoying. The snow also works the glutes a bit more. Nice.

Hopefully this is my first five kilometers towards 2013 km (1250 mi) for the year. My cough is just about gone, and energy levels are returning, so I'm just going to build up slowly again this month and see where I'm at in a few weeks. I won't try any barefoot running until temps are above freezing and the asphalt is dry. My toes are still sensitive to heat (but seem OK in the cold), so I'm not taking any chances; it feels too good to simply run.

A really cool 4 miles tonight around the neighbourhood with the dog. I seriously felt warmer yesterday as I sprinted around the Formal Gardens basically naked.;)

It's great to see you here!

Are there any surfaces that you can go on barefoot comfortably? Personally, I've found grass and sand to be easier on my joints and just a lot more fun to be on.

Hi Sid, thanks. No, I can't trust any surfaces. I keep my floors in my home clean. The other day, my kids and I were baking and decorating cookies. Apparently, one (or more) of those little bitty round sprinkles fell on the floor, and I missed it when I swept. I stepped on that little bastard, and it felt like a dull needle shot through my foot! When I looked at the ball of my foot, I was surprised to see one of those little sprinkles stuck to my foot. How could something so damn small cause so much freakin' pain?! So, I can't trust my own clean floors, I doubt I could even trust sand and grass (or what's underneath them).

I have a lot of nerve damage, not just from the surgeries themselves (and especially the first ones where hackjob didn't know what the f!@# he was doing!), but from all the many injections, the cryosurgery, and shockwave therapies, and more than just the main nerves are affected. It seems even my smaller nerves are damaged, and it only makes sense when these podiatrists are injecting people with sh!t without seeing where they are injecting it. I could go on, but I don't want to bore you. sigh. Thanks for your comment.

8 miles or so today, first run in four days. My ITBS was flaring up for the first time in years.
Sorry to hear that. Have you been taking a lot of time off lately? Maybe you should try a few shorter runs or stop to stretch the ITB in the middle of your runs. Seems like for me whenever I take anything past 3-4 days off, I put myself at risk at ITBS, and so I need to get back at it with a shorter run or two, before returning to my previous mileage.

On my run yesterday, my second run after a week or 10 days off due to illness, I aggressively stretched out my band by doing that cross-legged, bend sideways ITB stretch (pictured here: http://injuryfix.com/archives/knee-pain.php), as well as the put your leg up on something high hammie stretch, at the first/slightest hint of strain or fatigue, long before the onset of any pain. That seemed to help quite a bit. I think I stopped three times over the course of my short three-mile run, mostly during the first half I think. I also did a bunch of mobility exercises/"dynamic stretching" (I think hip abductor/adductor stuff is especially important) and rolled the legs good before heading out. Result: none of the ITBS soreness I experienced on my two-miler on Sunday.

Next run I'll shoot for 4 or 5 miles using the same stop-n-stretch protocol, and vigorous pre-run warm-up/stretching routine. With my MCL-sprain completely gone now, I'm highly focused on keeping the ITBS at bay as I try to build up my mileage again.

Have you been taking your own advice by running faster and doing squats? I'm convinced us guys with heavier builds need to do lower-body ST work to help our knees support our body weight while running. I'll be hitting the deadlifts and squats myself at the end of this afternoon.

Reactions: Sid and NickW
45 minutes of intervals on the bike in the gym. According to the machine I burnt 505 calories. Not sure how much I trust that machine though. I also did about 45 minutes of ST (shoulders and biceps). Feeling really good and strong lately. Also, my PF seems to have gone completely away in my left foot and the right one isn't too far behind I think. It rarely bothers me very much, if even at all (knock on wood). I think the strength training along with the stretching and rolling has really helped tremendously in addition to the cutting down of the miles.

Sorry to hear that. Have you been taking a lot of time off lately? Maybe you should try a few shorter runs or stop to stretch the ITB in the middle of your runs. Seems like for me whenever I take anything past 3-4 days off, I put myself at risk at ITBS, and so I need to get back at it with a shorter run or two, before returning to my previous mileage.

On my run yesterday, my second run after a week or 10 days off due to illness, I aggressively stretched out my band by doing that cross-legged, bend sideways ITB stretch (pictured here: http://injuryfix.com/archives/knee-pain.php), as well as the put your leg up on something high hammie stretch, at the first/slightest hint of strain or fatigue, long before the onset of any pain. That seemed to help quite a bit. I think I stopped three times over the course of my short three-mile run, mostly during the first half I think. I also did a bunch of mobility exercises/"dynamic stretching" (I think hip abductor/adductor stuff is especially important) and rolled the legs good before heading out. Result: none of the ITBS soreness I experienced on my two-miler on Sunday.

Next run I'll shoot for 4 or 5 miles using the same stop-n-stretch protocol, and vigorous pre-run warm-up/stretching routine. With my MCL-sprain completely gone now, I'm highly focused on keeping the ITBS at bay as I try to build up my mileage again.

Have you been taking your own advice by running faster and doing squats? I'm convinced us guys with heavier builds need to do lower-body ST work to help our knees support our body weight while running. I'll be hitting the deadlifts and squats myself at the end of this afternoon.

No to the time off, I ran a race on Saturday and haven't had time or really felt like running. The week before i was kind of tapering too. I have been keeping up with the squats though, but I have not been keeping up with mobility, rolling, triggers and yoga. So I am going to start at least doing one of those routines a day. The relative "cold" is not helping either, I'm already dreaming of 90 degree mornings.

I forgot how much of a pain it is though and how much it sucks the fun out of running. Hopefully we can kick it for good someday.

Yesterday I began noticing that my toes felt funny part way through the day, then today they seem to be even more sensitive. They seem to be a bit swollen and tender, but no blisters or real raw spots. I was fine riding 75 minutes at breezy speeds on the spinning bike, including several powerish intervals. Today, I felt running would not be wise, so was glad that swimming was an option. It was a well spent, most enjoyable 30 minutes I have had in the pool so far, even though it maybe as warm as 30 F outside. :) I'm guessing that the 3 hours dancing barefoot on cement New Year's Eve was harder on my toes than I originally noticed....

Yesterday I began noticing that my toes felt funny part way through the day, then today they seem to be even more sensitive. They seem to be a bit swollen and tender, but no blisters or real raw spots. I was fine riding 75 minutes at breezy speeds on the spinning bike, including several powerish intervals. Today, I felt running would not be wise, so was glad that swimming was an option. It was a well spent, most enjoyable 30 minutes I have had in the pool so far, even though it maybe as warm as 30 F outside. :) I'm guessing that the 3 hours dancing barefoot on cement New Year's Eve was harder on my toes than I originally noticed....

Yeah concrete wears out my feet more than any other surface, hopefully it gets better in a day or two.

Reactions: happysongbird
3.5 yesterday (wednesday) just to get it done, then took kids ice skating, swimming, to downtown library, and shopping.

3.5 today on snowy woodsy hilly trails at out local nature center, where my kids are doing a 2 day winter day camp before school starts up again on monday. The soft snow plus hills plus soft ground beneath worked my feet and legs, so 3.5 felt like a LONG run, and it took forever. Beautiful views, though: winding creeks, half frozen ponds, lookouts over the countryside, deep woods, lovely.

7.7mi trail. Drizzled partway through, but I carried on. Didn't do the full 9+ miles, but that's okay, as it was getting dark. Bumped into a couple of moms and their 5 kids. They were at the fork and wondering which way to get back to the nearby housing development. I pointed them in the correct direction. Clearly, they must have disregarded the warning sign on the bridge: "No trespassing. Violators will be prosecuted". Actually, now I'm wondering if the sign is really there for the purpose of minimizing liability, as the area can get flooded during heavy storms.

5.18 miles tonight with the pooch. Slow and easy. Temps have gotten milder all of a sudden, this winter has been interesting so far.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS