Mileage Reporting 1st Week of 2013

Sid

Barefooters
Jan 1, 2011
Florida
Happy New Year!

9.1 miles trail. A bit tired, but I wanted to start the year off right. Made it without walking, as I hydrated properly. A bit chilly but warmed up. Heard a horse while I was in the middle of the trail, but never saw anyone. They must have gone off in a different direction. Saw two deer, or quite likely when doubling-back, I scared off the same one twice!

Well posted this in the 53rd week of 2012, doh, guess I should be transfering it over.

Starting off the New Year on a big note, ran the Polar Bare (Frosty Nipple) Run this morning. A quick, very quick, loop around the formal gardens in Winnipeg. I was sporting my KittyK original and nothing else (well a hat and pair of gloves were there too). It was a lovely sprint with 40 or so of the locals at a balmy -26 degrees with the WC.

Frosty Nipple Run 2013.jpg

The only way to break in the year, look who is in the lead and those are some elite runners back there. And no I did not jump the start. That is all my barefooting power, there baby.........

Dutchie, how was the Resolution Run, my kids were quite adament about not going out today so i missed it. Really wanted to cheer everybody on too, darn it.

Oh boy, wait till the Oregon crew sees that pic Bob, they will go all out to recruit and entice you to relocate to Portland. While Bob was dancing in the park I ran the Resolution 5k with my son. No I was not barefoot. I looked for you at the "Y" but could not locate you Bob, We will catch up later, probably at the Ice Donkey. Got to check my schedule and see if that weekend is doable. Have a good New Years everyone and may all of you have a lot of PR's in your runs this year. :)

Dutchie, see post 2 up :)

Bob, run was good, it was sold out again this year. My son who had not ran since first week of October beat me. Sigh, oh to be young and just go and run as if it was nothing. One thing I noticed today that I had not paid any attention to before was the fact that he walks and runs on his forefoot. He also does not wear out any runners. He is still using the same ones from 6 years ago. I informed him that he would be a natural barefoot or min shod runner. But he is under his moms influence and is not interested going in that direction. :)

Reactions: NickW and Bare Lee
Woke up with my frost nipped toes burning under the covers. They felt fine as soon as I uncovered them. I guess this recovery process is going to take a bit longer than I thought. I spent all day yesterday tracking down New Year's supplies with my wife and son, so had to skip my chest-n-upperarm ST workout. I did that just now and will put off my first run of the year until tomorrow, when temps are forecast to be a bit warmer and I've had another day to see how the toes are doing. Would've been nice to inaugurate the year in fine style like Bob did!

Reactions: Barefooting Bob
View attachment 1413

The only way to break in the year, look who is in the lead and those are some elite runners back there. And no I did not jump the start. That is all my barefooting power, there baby.........

Kate's tutu must have given you super powers!!

So question...how often do you guys report your mileage here? Once a day? A week? Whenever? And we can post our other exercise stuff here as well? I'm thinking about doing it. I'll probably only report for a week than forgethaboutit. :p I really don't do well with (goals) - I hate the g-word. I think that I had better reconsider that this year, however. I have some bad-a$$ runs coming up. I am particularly enthralled with how well my swimming exercises have improved my trail running form/ability. I almost feel...giddy!!! Oh wait, that's the champagne still coursing through my veins! :D

3.1 in today... First on the First 5k. Since I am no where near as hard core as Barefooting Bob
bowing.gif
I ran it with my Merrells (first race with shoes since September 2011) and since I am not used to such awkwardness, I didn't quite go all out. I seem to have an issue with shoes now... 3 out of 4 runs I get cramps in my arches. Anyhow, I warmed up good, and went out moderate along with the 25min pacer, after the first half mile I went a little faster, 8mm, and over the course of another mile I worked my way towards 7mm but my right foot started to get cramps and backed it off to 8mm. I had plenty enough left for an all out sprint at the end, and for a change I actually beat the fellow who was trying to out sprint me across the line. Still managed a 7:39 average and 23:42.

Jen - I think most 'report in' with what they ran each day, though some like often myself might only give an entire week recap at the end of the week. No set way, just whenever you drop in and feel like sharing your recent mileage!

So question...how often do you guys report your mileage here? Once a day? A week? Whenever? And we can post our other exercise stuff here as well? I'm thinking about doing it. I'll probably only report for a week than forgethaboutit. :p I really don't do well with (goals) - I hate the g-word. I think that I had better reconsider that this year, however. I have some bad-a$$ runs coming up. I am particularly enthralled with how well my swimming exercises have improved my trail running form/ability. I almost feel...giddy!!! Oh wait, that's the champagne still coursing through my veins! :D
Well it all depends, some report weekly, others every day..If you like regular encouragement, then every time you run is the way to go !!! ;)

2.01 miles in my vff speeds (still loving them by the way, although I can't wear socks in them as they are just the right size without socks and too small with socks). Was 29 deg F out and my coldest run of the winter and my first run of the year. Decided to break out my running pants. Bad idea. I sweat my butt off. Also did about 45 minutes of ST (chest and triceps). Happy New Year everyone! Now off to make a new mileage chart for this year in Excel.

11.2km today, very nice and sunny. I still have that groin pain for about a minute or two and then by adjusting my stride, I manage to make it disappear. My suspicion is that I strained my adductor during intervals (pushing a bit too hard and extending my stride too much)
So for now it will be slow runs with very short stride until my groin feels better. I also try to do stretching exercises, and trigger point massaging (with a foam roller)

Walked 1.82 miles in my VFFs. I wouldn't have been able to do it barefoot due to the nerve damage from shoes then the countless procedures and surgeries to "try" to remedy that. I think this is the most I have walked since my surgeries in January and August 2012. Running is not even on my mind at this point. I am just happy to be putting one foot in front of the other.

Wishing you all healthy and happy running and walking in 2013!

Walked 1.82 miles in my VFFs. I wouldn't have been able to do it barefoot due to the nerve damage from shoes then the countless procedures and surgeries to "try" to remedy that. I think this is the most I have walked since my surgeries in January and August 2012. Running is not even on my mind at this point. I am just happy to be putting one foot in front of the other.

Wishing you all healthy and happy running and walking in 2013!
Woohoo! Way to go TJ! Little by little you are getting there! (I'm in vff's now too)

Reactions: Bare Lee
Thank you, Nick.

I would much more prefer to be barefoot, but I guess it just isn't meant to be...anymore. sigh. Seems shoes brought me to barefoot running, and shoes took me away from barefoot running. I'm sick about it. Sometimes, I just want to cry about it. You all have no idea how much it hurts me to not be able to do what I love so much. Enough of that...