Mileage Reporting 18th Week 2013

No, that wasn't what I was trying to say. The last two hundred years of massive increase in human productivity attest to our potential to rise well above mere subsistence. I just object to all the pilfering, swindling, and violence, that's all.
yes, good objection

Reactions: Bare Lee and NickW
Did a half hour of intervals on the bike and then did about 30 minutes of ST doing chest, biceps, triceps, and abs. I ran out of time for my whole ST workout as I got to the gym later than planned. Oh, and Lee, thank you so much (I think it was you) for bringing up dumbbell woodchoppers! Wow, I am going to hurt tomorrow I bet. I couldn't do the exact ones that you showed in the video by Kai Wheeler, too much twisting for my back, so I did a less severe twisting version which works well for me.
I have revamped my workout routine slightly because I really want to focus more on cardio right now and will do more weights later on. I think I like this and will slightly alter things as needed to make it work for me.

Monday:
Long run, easy MAF pace, avg 145 bpm

Tuesday:
30 minutes of intervals on bike

1st: 10 Dumbbell flat benches s (35lbs)
2nd: 10 Machine preacher curls (50lbs)
3rd: 10 Dumbbell standing triceps extension (40)
4th: 10 Dumbbell Woodchoppers (20lbs)

1st: 10 Dumbbell incline bench (35lbs)
2nd: 10 Dumbbell hammer curls (20lbs)
3rd: 10 Cable triceps pushdown (50lbs)
4th: 25 4 count flutter kicks

1st: 10 Dumbbell decline bench (40lbs)
2nd: 10 Dumbbell alternate bicep curl (20lbs)
3rd: 15 Bench dips
4th: Plank (45 seconds)

Wednesday:
Medium length hill repeats run

Thursday:
30 minutes of intervals on bike

1st: 10 Dumbbell deadlifts (40lbs)
2nd: 10 Dumbbell Squats (30lbs)
3rd: 10 Seated overhead presses (25lbs)
4th: 25 4 count flutter kicks

1st: 10 Lat pulldowns (90lbs)
2nd: 10 Seated leg curls (50lbs)
3rd: 10 Dumbbell lateral raises (10lbs)
4th: Dumbbell Woodchoppers (20lbs)

1st: 10 Wide grip machine rows (60lbs)
2nd: 10 Seated leg extensions (30lbs)
3rd: 10 Alternating dumbbell front raises (10lbs)
4th: Plank (45 seconds)

Friday:
Medium tempo run (9-10 minute pace)

Did a half hour of intervals on the bike and then did about 30 minutes of ST doing chest, biceps, triceps, and abs. I ran out of time for my whole ST workout as I got to the gym later than planned. Oh, and Lee, thank you so much (I think it was you) for bringing up dumbbell woodchoppers! Wow, I am going to hurt tomorrow I bet. I couldn't do the exact ones that you showed in the video by Kai Wheeler, too much twisting for my back, so I did a less severe twisting version which works well for me.

I have revamped my workout routine slightly because I really want to focus more on cardio right now and will do more weights later on. I think I like this and will slightly alter things as needed to make it work for me.
We have a pretty similar approach to our three weekly runs, except I prefer to put the long run at the end of the week. Your st routines look like a nice mix of stuff. I used to do a similar division of body areas when I had a two-part weekly st routine--loosely categorized as 'front' and 'back.' Then I split it up into four parts, and now I'm doing it as three parts--top, middle, and bottom. I've attach this latest version. As you can see, it's now more clearly organized according to equipment used and sequenced so that I spend a minimal amount of time monkeying around with it. The Nordic curls, for example, follow the barbell deadlifts, so that I can take advantage of the fully loaded bar and use it as a brace for my ankles, in lieu of a lovely assistant.

I'm not sure where I got the idea for woodchoppers. Until a month or two ago I had never heard of them, but yah, I'm really digging them now. One thing, I use the opposite hand position from your video, with the hand on the side where the exercise begins up on top, so that I get a bit more of a stretch at the end of the movement. If you're trying to reduce the twisting on your back though, this may not be a good idea. Once you have access to a barbell you gotta try the standing woodchoppers, or whatever they might be called, a try too. OK, off to run.

Attachments

• ST-3 -- Top-Middle-Bottom 13.05.01.pdf
    212 KB · Views: 3
We have a pretty similar approach to our three weekly runs, except I prefer to put the long run at the end of the week. Your st routines look like a nice mix of stuff. I used to do a similar division of body areas when I had a two-part weekly st routine--loosely categorized as 'front' and 'back.' Then I split it up into four parts, and now I'm doing three parts--top, middle, and bottom. I've attach this latest version. As you can see, it's now more clearly organized according to equipment and sequenced so that I spend a minimal amount of time monkeying around it. The Nordic curls, for example, follow the barbell deadlifts, so that I can take advantage of the fully loaded bar and use it as a brace for my ankles, in lieu of a lovely assistant.

I'm not sure where I got the idea for woodchoppers. Until a month or two ago I had never heard of them, but yah, I'm really digging them now. One thing, I use the opposite hand position from your video, with the hand on the side where the exercise begins up on top, so that I get a bit more of a stretch at the end of the movement. If you're trying to reduce the twisting on your back though, this may not be a good idea. Once you have access to a barbell you gotta try the standing woodchoppers, or whatever they might be called, a try too. OK, off to run.
For my runs, right now because my mileage is so low I like my long run (roughly 2 miles, although I may slightly increase it in the near future depending on what the mri this coming Friday says) after the nice long two day weekend, kind of a nice way to say, Hey legs wake the frick up, you're going to be used this week! My two medium runs will be around 1.5 miles each (sucks to say thats a medium run). The tempo runs are the hardest on my ankle, so that's also why I have that at the end of the week. I feel at this point my ankle needs the longer recovery time after a tempo run.

Did you get the idea of woodchoppers from Abide maybe? If we move this year like we are planning and hoping, maybe the new place will have a workout facility that has a barbell. Hoping we will have a gym I guess at the new place. I didn't mark down on my workout schedule, but I am also working on my lateral agility and explosiveness while playing with my son outside. He is at that age now where he loves to chase and be chased, so why not work on things while playing with him and kill two birds with one stone? We have a lot of fun doing that and Momma seems to think it's pretty cute too. It's not really something set in stone though and is something we do as time and weather permit.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Six miles so far this week. I've been enjoying the good weather too much, feet are getting tender.

17 miles all in, last week.

Monday
2 miles barefoot on the treadmill

Tues
4.07 miles barefoot at the beach. It was dark, there were dogs and I think my use of Musher's Secret seemed to attract them. I got three canine runners with me along the beach!

Thurs
4.14miles. 3 of them in Vibram Bikilas and the last mile barefoot. I'd tender feet and a sore ankle.

Saturday
6.7miles in Vibram Bikilas
I needed a long run to boost the fitness but the feet aren't quite up to a run of that distance.

A good week for running though.
I'm doing a leg of the Belfast Marathon barefoot on Monday 6th May (4.5 miles). It will be the longest I've run barefoot and the first time running in an event barefoot! I'm really looking forward to it! I just hope my feet are up to it!
I'm half nervous and half looking forward to hearing people's reactions to the barefoot thing. I'm doing the last leg so will have a good crowd. Bring it on!!! Gotta up the training more this week and put in a few more barefoot miles!!

Finally back from Switzerland....had a blast running BF on colder weather (one of my run could even have qualified for the winter challenge, as it was about 4C (39F), but very happy to be back, it is a nice 17C today (63F), and after the 22hours return flight a nice 12km (7.5mi) along the beach with the sunrise was enough to cheer me up for the day :)

I was depressed with my run of only 6 miles because my right leg was getting tight for mile 6 again, but my husband gave me a little pep talk and said it doesn't mean I won't be able to run my race, that it's normal to hit these points when one has been working hard, and so on. So, I'm less depressed now. It was nice to run with one of my daughters and have her chat with me. Wore the Mocs today, as I felt tired enough when going out that I even wondered about lifting my feet.... Rest day tomorrow for sure.

6.5 miles on Wildwood trail - in an hour and forty-five minutes. I concentrated extra hard on keeping my pace steady and, overall, it really worked to the benefit of my energy. It also helped that it was cooler and raining off and on. Muah-ha-haaa!!! And I found a new, kick-a$$ peeing spot! I have photos if anyone would like to see! The peeing SPOT that is... :rolleyes:

Well I did it again! I broke my distance record again and ran 5.86 miles barefoot today. Felt great! Very windy though and it sounds like winter will be back again tomorrow so probably no run tomorrow (high of 41F expected with snow later in the day). This evening walked 3.2 miles barefoot with my wife as we walked our 2 schnauzers. The dogs had fun too! Thats 9.06 miles barefoot all together for me today. I planned on timing my 5.86 mile run today but ended up taking about 5 cell phone calls today during the run and kinda kept forgetting to stop the stop watch while on the phone and ended up with a 7:44 m/m pace. Next time I wont take the phone. Now I know I could do a 10K with out much trouble except maybe my speed could use some improvement. There is a 10K race in a nearby town that is run completely on some paved trails and I decided to run that 10K barefoot. That will be my first race barefoot. Kinda looking forward to it but also a bit nervous about running it barefoot. Gonna run it BAREFOOT anyway!

Well I did it again! I broke my distance record again and ran 5.86 miles barefoot today. Felt great! Very windy though and it sounds like winter will be back again tomorrow so probably no run tomorrow (high of 41F expected with snow later in the day). This evening walked 3.2 miles barefoot with my wife as we walked our 2 schnauzers. The dogs had fun too! Thats 9.06 miles barefoot all together for me today. I planned on timing my 5.86 mile run today but ended up taking about 5 cell phone calls today during the run and kinda kept forgetting to stop the stop watch while on the phone and ended up with a 7:44 m/m pace. Next time I wont take the phone. Now I know I could do a 10K with out much trouble except maybe my speed could use some improvement. There is a 10K race in a nearby town that is run completely on some paved trails and I decided to run that 10K barefoot. That will be my first race barefoot. Kinda looking forward to it but also a bit nervous about running it barefoot. Gonna run it BAREFOOT anyway!
FIVE phone calls and you still managed under an 8min pace? Uh.....

6.5 miles on Wildwood trail - in an hour and forty-five minutes. I concentrated extra hard on keeping my pace steady and, overall, it really worked to the benefit of my energy. It also helped that it was cooler and raining off and on. Muah-ha-haaa!!! And I found a new, kick-a$$ peeing spot! I have photos if anyone would like to see! The peeing SPOT that is... :rolleyes:

A lady must be discerning about her pee spots.

Tuesday afternoon
6.17 mi / almost 10k

With a forecast for rain (maybe even snow!) most of the week starting today, Wednesday, I decided to put off my hills run yesterday and do some running down on the hs track while it was still dry. I drove down there on my way to picking up the kids from day care and discovery club. It was in the 70s and overcast but the threatening clouds never did their business. I was going to do 440 intervals, but I rethunk that and decided it would be best to condition my soles on the track's sandy gravel another week or two before running faster paces, so kept to tempo pace.

I didn't feel the soreness from the prior day's 'bottom' st workout at all, and surprised myself by running 8:38 mm pace overall. After three months of fairly consistent, injury-free running, I knew I was due for a bump up in pace, but that's more than 30 seconds per mile faster than my last tempo run of almost a month ago, which was on smooth asphalt. My fastest mile was the second one, at 8:08 mm pace, and my last mile, my 'cool down', was 9:15, which I ran on the grass alongside the track as the abrasion of the sandy gravel began to get to me a bit. I didn't want to overdue it and get sore soles, and the moist, yielding dirt underneath the grass felt quite soothing.

Today my feet feel fine though--just a bit tingly--so I guess next time I might try some proper intervals. It's amazing how much better it feels to run just a bit faster than usual. I can hardly wait until my LSD pace is under 9mm. I also like how time seems to fly by at somewhat faster paces. The fifty minutes or so I was running felt like nothing.
I posted a blog article just today about how fast people can run when barefoot - I guess I should have mentioned him!
Nice blog Laura, I totally agree with your statement:

"I’ve always liked feeling that I am moving fast."

I know I'm not actually running fast compared to serious runners, but I do enjoy the sensation of feeling my range of motion open up a bit. 8-9 mm pace is just right for me.
Nice running Carey. Sounds like your BFR is really coming along!
I was depressed with my run of only 6 miles because my right leg was getting tight for mile 6 again, but my husband gave me a little pep talk and said it doesn't mean I won't be able to run my race, that it's normal to hit these points when one has been working hard, and so on. So, I'm less depressed now. It was nice to run with one of my daughters and have her chat with me. Wore the Mocs today, as I felt tired enough when going out that I even wondered about lifting my feet.... Rest day tomorrow for sure.
You've been training pretty hard lately, it seems to me, so some rest will probably do you some good, and you deserve it!
For my runs, right now because my mileage is so low I like my long run (roughly 2 miles, although I may slightly increase it in the near future depending on what the mri this coming Friday says) after the nice long two day weekend, kind of a nice way to say, Hey legs wake the frick up, you're going to be used this week! My two medium runs will be around 1.5 miles each (sucks to say thats a medium run). The tempo runs are the hardest on my ankle, so that's also why I have that at the end of the week. I feel at this point my ankle needs the longer recovery time after a tempo run.

Did you get the idea of woodchoppers from Abide maybe? If we move this year like we are planning and hoping, maybe the new place will have a workout facility that has a barbell. Hoping we will have a gym I guess at the new place. I didn't mark down on my workout schedule, but I am also working on my lateral agility and explosiveness while playing with my son outside. He is at that age now where he loves to chase and be chased, so why not work on things while playing with him and kill two birds with one stone? We have a lot of fun doing that and Momma seems to think it's pretty cute too. It's not really something set in stone though and is something we do as time and weather permit.
That running schedule makes sense. For me, now that my long runs are up in the 9-mile range, I find them to be the most taxing on my legs, so I like to give the legs 72 hours recovery before the next run. My MCL still feels slightly sore after running more than an hour. It's usually just for 12 hours or so after a run, but it's a little worrying.

Don't think the woodchoppers were Abide's suggestion, but I could be wrong. Maybe it was from the Bruno site he likes.

Hope you find a nice place to settle, although I would think with another little one on the way, it might not be the best time to move. When you do get access to a barbell, I may be brave enough to film myself doing the standing barbell woodchoppers so you can get a better idea of how I do them. They're right up there with bench presses, deadlifts, and squats as one of my favorite heavy-weight exercises. I've incorporated a lot of lighter weight stuff over the last year, but I still feel like I get the most benefit from the real heavy lifts. I've really been getting a lot stronger lately as I've gone back to making them a point of emphasis. You'll notice in my three weight routines, each day starts with the heavier stuff and then works down to the lighter exercises. That way, if I'm pressed for time, I always get in the most essential lifts.

Did my 5km barefoot easily this morning. For a laugh I jumped on strava to check if there are any segments around the spot where I'm currently staying (I'm on holiday) and managed to place myself mid-pack on a 3.2km segment. I hope the local running club people have a look and say "who the hell is this guy?".

Flying back home tomorrow, but I might sneak out for one last Ballina Beach run before everybody gets up.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts