Mileage Reporting 18th Week 2013

Bare Lee

Barefooters
Jul 25, 2011
Saint Paul
Sunday, April 28th

After two days off--one for moving my brother’s fridge, the other for hanging out in summer-like weather with the fam--I really needed to get in at least a little exercise in order to set up the week properly. I had a lot of yard work to do, so I knocked off work around 2pm and started with a quick bench press, to make up for Friday’s missed st workout. I did sub-max, but still felt an immediate pump, a sign that I had gotten good benefit from last week’s top st workout, when I was able to push things a bit. A return to BW maxes can’t be too far away now.

Then I ran down to the local junior high school track. I needed to run at least three miles or so to make sure I didn’t lose all conditioning. It’s been two weeks without a decent long run. Now that the weather’s decent, I think I’ll have to start doing my weekend long run early in the morning before everyone wakes up. It’s just too easy to get pulled into the vortex of warm weather afternoon activity outside. Hard to justify going out for a run alone when the kids are playing.

The track was dry but bumpy from footprints left in the mud earlier in the week. I ran six 440 laps at an easy aerobic pace. The goal was just to condition my feet a bit on the track’s sandy gravel/gravelly sand in order to prep them for faster paced intervals later in the week. Then going home I ran up the flight of stairs nearby that leads up to the Lutheran Seminary. I want to work these stairs into my hills workout. I just did one flight because the next day, today, is my big legs st day. Then I headed home through my neighborhood’s little village-like shopping district.

My legs were just starting to loosen up and I felt like running a lot more, but I settled for 3.16 miles. It was 78 F out--hard to believe it was snowing less than a week prior. It seems this year we’re skipping spring altogether and cutting straight to summer. It felt great to run in my shorts and break a sweat. A nice Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA greeted me when I got home, and then I set to doing lackadaisical yard chores with my wife and kids. Only got done about half of what I wanted to get done, but at least I managed to get the x-mas tree lights down from the crab apple tree before giving in completely to playing with the kids and their friends.

Edit: I read through the last page of comments from last week. Some folks would like to end the mileage reporting week on a Sunday. Nick has already suggested this. My exercise week begins on Monday, with Sunday penciled in as a rest day, so that would be fine with me. I only begin new threads on Sunday because that's the way most calendars are organized.

Any thoughts? We could take a simple vote and go with the majority.

Sunday, April 28th

Edit: I read through the last page of comments from last week. Some folks would like to end the mileage reporting week on a Sunday. Nick has already suggested this. My exercise week begins on Monday, with Sunday penciled in as a rest day, so that would be fine with me. I only begin new threads on Sunday because that's the way most calendars are organized.

Any thoughts? We could take a simple vote and go with the majority.

Does it really matter? Everyone is going to have different commitments or time zones, and those following a strict training schedule would stick to what they're doing regardless.

Does it really matter?
No, I suppose not. We can just let whomever feels like starting the next week's mileage thread decide. But that can result in what happened today, when some were posting Sunday's workout on one week while others were posting it on another. No biggie, and as long as no one is getting lost on their actual runs, we're good.

Anyway, off to do my bottom st workout to start off my exercise week, which begins today, Monday.

My week ends on Sunday and starts on Monday but you know that already Lee.

Yah, the schedule is arbitrary, not given by the exercise gods. The only issue is consistency, and that's not a big deal either, as you can see by my quoting you before your comment.

My week ends on Sunday and starts on Monday but you know that already Lee.

Ok, well today is the START of my week, the second day of Lee's week, and who knows if anyone else does it any differently, but today I decided to do a really slow (really really really slow actually) MAF pace and I drove down to the big park (really flat) I used to run in all the time when I could run more than 5 miles and could run from the house, there, and back again. Ran an easy 2.01 miles barefeet in the park and felt great. I wanted to see what my MAF pace would be as I have been just running by perceived easy effort lately (between 10:15-10:45 min/mile pace with half the run uphill). No shocker, but my MAF pace was at 13:46 min/mile. I actually should have started walking every time I hit a slight slope as my heart rate would creep up over 145 but really, this was just an exercise in running easy for me and not a true MAF run. I do think I will incorporate one run a week at a MAF like pace, which will be my longer run. The two other runs I will keep at my normal pace and will be my shorter runs. Feet feel great and body feels pretty good. I really did struggle slowing myself down to the MAF pace as my body naturally wanted to go faster. It was nice to just enjoy everything around me in the park at that slower pace and I really don't sweat much at all at that pace either which is a big plus.

No, I suppose not. We can just let whomever feels like starting the next week's mileage thread decide. But that can result in what happened today, when some were posting Sunday's workout on one week while others were posting it on another. No biggie, and as long as no one is getting lost on their actual runs, we're good.

Anyway, off to do my bottom st workout to start off my week.

Yah, the schedule is arbitrary, not given by the exercise gods. The only issue is consistency, and that's not a big deal either, as you can see by my quoting you before your comment.

:wideeyed:

1-2 mi trail walk, mostly bf, put on shoes when things got gravely. feet did better w/o shoes but on soft ground. on the hard ground, the stiffer shoes do better. weird. must be the bruising.

~55 min swim,but not anything intense

foot hurting worse than ever (new bruise on 5th metatarsal from kicking the lane divider yesterday is looking naaaasty and dark and menacing and is almost on top of the bruise from last week. clutz!)

We have conventions? I just post in the first mileage thread I can find. :)

Beach run at Ballina today. I wanted to run up to a rocky point to check the surf and back, would have been a fraction over 8km, but for some reason I felt completely empty and stopped half way back, had a little walk, and jogged a little more to make up 6.5.

The usual scenario - late night, causing me to sleep in, causing me to run later in the day, in the sun, with no breakfast. It never ends well. Hoping to do 5km barefoot tomorrow morning.

I ran 4 miles today and 3 yesterday. around my neiborhood.Great runs great weather clear and app. 68 deg. . I heard the owls and saw a opossum and rabbits . I am still working out a few sore spots from the Big D marathon I did 4-14-13. Feet are good. I hope others get out and touch the ground with their bare feet!

Monday afternoon
Started my strength training session 15 minutes earlier, but still ran out of time towards the end. Didn't get in any of my jumps, hops, or mobility stuff. With two kinds of deadlifts now, I'm really getting held up up at the top of the workout. May have to alternate trap bar deadlifts one week, and barbell deadlifts another, or perhaps alternate max lifts on one, and sub-max lifts on the other. Decisions, decisions. I'm really getting a lot of benefit from the new trap bar deadlifts, that's for sure. I agree with Abide that they're probably the single best thing a runner can do to increase lower body strength. I'm anticipating a real surge in my pace in a few weeks once my body has had a chance to fully adapt to the greater stresses.

The rest of the workout went well too. My squat form is getting smoother. Almost ready to jump up 50lbs but I'm holding steady at 125 until I feel absolutely confident in my technique. Even more so than in running, form is everything in lifting. My shoulder feels 100% again so I did 125 lb power cleans, and will hold at that weight for a while longer until the form there feels better too. I notice I favor the right side of my body on the initial heave-ho. And I'm loving the new emphasis on my hammies and calves. Very sore today. It was great to workout shirtless in garage. We're supposed to have summery temps today too, and then perhaps some bone fide spring weather the rest of the week. Today's supposed to be my hills day, but I'm feeling more like a nice long aerobic run. Decisions, decisions.
Ok, well today is the START of my week, the second day of Lee's week.
Monday's actually the start of my workout week too, and it starts with deadlifts, and ends with a long run on Saturday, alternating st & runs in between:

M: Wrestle with my demons
Tu: Chase my demons
W: Wrestle with my demons
Th: Chase my demons
F: Wrestle with my demons
Sa: Chase my demons

Sunday's my rest day, just like God's, although the Devil sometimes allows me to use it as a make-up day, like two days ago, if the debt of my sins has not yet been paid in full.

In more mundane terms, Sunday's also the start of the calendric week. That's all. Dang Humanists mucking up the cosmic order.

P.S., how'd you like the Hawks draft? I'm very happy with the Vikes.
I ran 4 miles today and 3 yesterday. around my neiborhood.Great runs great weather clear and app. 68 deg. . I heard the owls and saw a opossum and rabbits . I am still working out a few sore spots from the Big D marathon I did 4-14-13. Feet are good. I hope others get out and touch the ground with their bare feet!
Hey, great to have you participating on this forum RL!

In more mundane terms, Sunday's also the start of the calendric week. That's all. Dang Humanists mucking up the cosmic order.
From what I read, the 2 day weekend is mostly the result of economic prosperity. Given our current economic trend, it could become a thing of the past!

From what I read, the 2 day weekend is mostly the result of economic prosperity. Given our current economic trend, it could become a thing of the past!
As soon as we arrest the banksters, we'll all be working half-days! There's enough wealth in the world for everyone to live at the level of middle class South Koreans, but most of it is tied up in luxury yachts.

In any case, I certainly don't want a two-day weekend for workouts, six days a week works well for me. Two days of rest always feels too long.

Monday's actually the start of my workout week too, and it starts with deadlifts, and ends with a long run on Saturday, alternating st & runs in between:
Sunday's my rest day, just like God's, although the Devil sometimes allows me to use it as a make-up day, like two days ago, if the debt of my sins has not yet been paid in full.

P.S., how'd you like the Hawks draft? I'm very happy with the Vikes.
I guess I could have swore Sundays were your beginning to the week, a calendric week as you put it. I figured it out yesterday why I go by Monday as the start of the week and not Sunday, and it's because as you said above, Sundays Gods rest day. I was raised going to church every Sunday for years and years and had the Sunday is the rest day and the day you should spend worshiping God ingrained in me. To me it just makes sense to rest from the week at the end of the week, not needing a break before the week has even started...

As far as the draft, I am really excited about a couple of the guys that the Hawks picked up, Christine Michael and Jesse Williams. the rest I really don't know much about. Not many well known names, but from everything I've read they fit what the Hawks need, not necessarily what the rest of the league deems is good or needs. I've read a lot of criticism of the Hawks for selecting Christine Michael because the Hawks already have Marshawn Lynch and Robert Turbin, but people don't seem to realize two things, 1. Lynch has a nagging back injury which has caused him to miss a couple games here and there, which really hurts the rest of the offense because Turbin is not the same kind of running back that Lynch is. 2. Pete is well known for having a big stable of running backs. I think I saw a stat the other day where when he was coaching at USC the main back only got 42% of the carries (right now Marshawn carries 70'ish % of them). Limiting your main back's carries like this prolongs their health and keeps them strong from the first quarter to the fourth, both in game and in season. In any case, the rest of the guys I am just kinda, meh, about. They definitely improve depth which is something Seattle sorely lacked last year in certain positions.

I guess I could have swore Sundays were your beginning to the week, a calendric week as you put it. I figured it out yesterday why I go by Monday as the start of the week and not Sunday, and it's because as you said above, Sundays Gods rest day. I was raised going to church every Sunday for years and years and had the Sunday is the rest day and the day you should spend worshiping God ingrained in me. To me it just makes sense to rest from the week at the end of the week, not needing a break before the week has even started...

As far as the draft, I am really excited about a couple of the guys that the Hawks picked up, Christine Michael and Jesse Williams. the rest I really don't know much about. Not many well known names, but from everything I've read they fit what the Hawks need, not necessarily what the rest of the league deems is good or needs. I've read a lot of criticism of the Hawks for selecting Christine Michael because the Hawks already have Marshawn Lynch and Robert Turbin, but people don't seem to realize two things, 1. Lynch has a nagging back injury which has caused him to miss a couple games here and there, which really hurts the rest of the offense because Turbin is not the same kind of running back that Lynch is. 2. Pete is well known for having a big stable of running backs. I think I saw a stat the other day where when he was coaching at USC the main back only got 42% of the carries (right now Marshawn carries 70'ish % of them). Limiting your main back's carries like this prolongs their health and keeps them strong from the first quarter to the fourth, both in game and in season. In any case, the rest of the guys I am just kinda, meh, about. They definitely improve depth which is something Seattle sorely lacked last year in certain positions.
Well, I've only recently granted myself a scheduled rest day, partly because I need to leave space for making up missed workouts, which seem to happen at least twice a month, but also because I've changed from four st workouts a week to three, and have upped the time per workout to 75-90 minutes instead of 60, which makes having a rest day a little more necessary. But I've always felt like Monday was the beginning of the workout week. I've only suggested Sunday as the beginning of the reporting week because that's how calendars are configured. If I've changed my mind without realizing it, I refuse all responsibility for accurately representing my past comments.

As far as draft analysts go, I think they're all a bunch of jokers, especially Mel Kiper. How he's convinced anyone to pay him for making bad predictions is beyond me. The fact is drafting is a crap shoot, right? I liked the Vikes draft a lot, but I'm not sure what the plan is for linebacker. At least this year we'll get to see if Ponder is the real deal or not. We've got a good set of receivers finally. See you in the NFC Championship game!

Reactions: NickW
Hahaha! If the Vikes can beat out the Niners to get there, I will gladly see them there in the NFC Championship! I think 1 or maybe both of the wildcards may come out of the NFC West (Best) this year. St Louis is quietly building a force to reckon with too and they gave both the Niners and the Hawks fits last year. Not to mention that the Cards may have fixed their offensive line enough to give Palmer a chance to throw the ball without getting murdered. They have a killer defense already so if they get the offense going teams are going to have to watch out for them too.

Reactions: Bare Lee
As soon as we arrest the banksters, we'll all be working half-days! There's enough wealth in the world for everyone to live at the level of middle class South Koreans, but most of it is tied up in luxury yachts.

In any case, I certainly don't want a two-day weekend for workouts, six days a week works well for me. Two days of rest always feels too long.
There you go talking like wealth (and prosperity) are a finite quantity... given enough freedom to allow real prosperity, we could all have luxury yachts! Except, I'm going to trade mine in for a splendid sprinkler system for the yard and some pretty colored landscape rocks I know of. We all have our preferences. :)

There you go talking like wealth (and prosperity) are a finite quantity... given enough freedom to allow real prosperity, we could all have luxury yachts! Except, I'm going to trade mine in for a splendid sprinkler system for the yard and some pretty colored landscape rocks I know of. We all have our preferences. :)
No, that wasn't what I was trying to say. The last two hundred years of massive increase in human productivity attest to our potential to rise well above mere subsistence. I just object to all the pilfering, swindling, and violence, that's all.
Hahaha! If the Vikes can beat out the Niners to get there, I will gladly see them there in the NFC Championship! I think 1 or maybe both of the wildcards may come out of the NFC West (Best) this year. St Louis is quietly building a force to reckon with too and they gave both the Niners and the Hawks fits last year. Not to mention that the Cards may have fixed their offensive line enough to give Palmer a chance to throw the ball without getting murdered. They have a killer defense already so if they get the offense going teams are going to have to watch out for them too.
Yah, we're lucky. It looks like the Bears and Lions will continue on in their mediocrity for at least another year or two. And we already know we can beat the Pack . . .