Mileage reporting 12th week 2014

Bare Lee

Barefooters
Jul 25, 2011
Saint Paul
One-mile run-commute, surfaces were completely dry, so even though it was 6F/-14.4C, 4F/-15.5C windchill, I was pretty comfortable the whole way, although I was happy to get inside at the end of it too. This is the first time that kind of temp has felt comfortable for a loooong time. It's amazing how much of a difference even a little moisture--snow, ice, slush, water--can make. I think next winter I'll avoid moisture altogether. Just not worth it.

For 'people of the book,' "[t]he Bible clearly makes the Sabbath the last day of the week, but does not share how that corresponds to our 7 day week. Yet through extra-biblical sources it is possible to determine that the Sabbath at the time of Christ corresponds to our current 'Saturday.' Therefore it is common Jewish and Christian practice to regard Sunday as the first day of the week (as is also evident from the Portuguese names for the week days). However, the fact that, for example, Russian uses the name "second" for Tuesday, indicates that some nations regard Monday as the first day" (Wikipedia).

I'm beginning to suspect Sid is secretly a Russian separatist seeking weekday autonomy.

For Muslims, it's the 14th of the fifth month, so I guess that makes this the 22nd or 23rd week of the year, right?

Me, I just follow my computer calendars. Computers are smart, aren't they?

Go Team Monday!

My first run for the week was 8km on the beach - I think. My running watch had a flat battery, so I had to go naked, so to speak. Kinda fun to amble along without knowing anything about your pace and just run for a change. Daylight savings is still in effect here, and I'm ready for it to end now. My 6am run is now starting in darkness, with the sun coming up closer to 7.

Me, I just follow my computer calendars. Computers are smart, aren't they?
http://www.epochconverter.com/epoch/weeknumbers.php
Week 11 is from Monday March 10, 2014 until (and including) Sunday March 16, 2014.
Week number according to the ISO-8601 standard, weeks starting on Monday
https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-time.html
International Standard ISO 8601 specifies numeric representations of date and time. This standard notation helps to avoid confusion in international communication caused by the many different national notations and increases the portability of computer user interfaces.
https://xkcd.com/1179/
iso_8601.png

Reactions: Bare Lee
That fun little sprint I had yesterday at the end of my race was making my calf muscles ready to cramp all day today. I opted for slow activity for much of the day because sitting or moving fast both seemed to stimulate cramps. Got a fair amount of low exertion gardening done. Now for a hot bath and more leg massage!

I don't know about any religious meaning, but to me, the week-end finishes on Sunday ! :cool:

So by definition the week starts on Monday ! :D

Anyway, whatever works for anyone, it all evens up at the end of the day, specially with timezone differences !

I have nothing to report today, but just wanted to add my grain of salt :D

Anyway, whatever works for anyone, it all evens up at the end of the day, specially with timezone differences !
That's it, live and let live! As long as everyone is happily reckoning their runs, who cares, right?
Wow Sid, you're really invested in this. You realize, of course, that just like punctuation and spelling rules, these things come from humans, not god, and are just conventions, right? Are you really willing to throw away thousands of years of glorious Judeo-Christian tradition--the pageantry, glamour (<US spelling convention violation), hypocrisy and slaughter (<US punctuation convention violation)--in favor of nerdy Swiss profiteers?

Here again is a quote from that impeccable source, Wikipedia:

"Criticism

With the exception of a small number of isolated standards,[18] ISO standards are normally not available free of charge, but for a purchase fee,[31] which has been seen by some as too expensive for small open source projects.[32]

The ISO/IEC JTC1 fast-track procedures ("Fast-track" as used by OOXML and "PAS" as used by OpenDocument) have garnered criticism in relation to the standardization of Office Open XML (ISO/IEC 29500). Martin Bryan, outgoing Convenor of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34 WG1, is quoted as saying:

I would recommend my successor that it is perhaps time to pass WG1’s outstanding standards over to OASIS, where they can get approval in less than a year and then do a PAS submission to ISO, which will get a lot more attention and be approved much faster than standards currently can be within WG1.​
The disparity of rules for PAS, Fast-Track and ISO committee generated standards is fast making ISO a laughing stock in IT circles. The days of open standards development are fast disappearing. Instead we are getting 'standardization by corporation'.[33]

Computer security entrepreneur and Ubuntu investor, Mark Shuttleworth, commented on the Standardization of Office Open XML process by saying "I think it de-values the confidence people have in the standards setting process," and Shuttleworth alleged that ISO did not carry out its responsibility. He also noted that Microsoft had intensely lobbied many countries that traditionally had not participated in ISO and stacked technical committees with Microsoft employees, solution providers and resellers sympathetic to Office Open XML.

When you have a process built on trust and when that trust is abused, ISO should halt the process... ISO is an engineering old boys club and these things are boring so you have to have a lot of passion … then suddenly you have an investment of a lot of money and lobbying and you get artificial results. The process is not set up to deal with intensive corporate lobbying and so you end up with something being a standard that is not clear.[34]"
Yah, that's the way I write dates. It orders my docs nicely. For example, "Sid's calendar rant post.14.03.17" would come after "Sid's calendar rant post.13.10.06."

Now that I know how much the Sunday/Monday thing gets you going, I think I'll make sure to post all my Sunday activities, and thus start a new week's thread, as soon as possible. This, despite the fact that I had recently resolved to just post at the end of the week, with a weekly summary of running/st/plyo.

Oh, yeah, so back to mileage, er, I mean kilometrage. Yesterday afternoon, I ran another 5k, 3.1 miles, at 25F/-4C, 21F/-6C windchill, then I made up the Cables ST--pulldowns, chin-ups, seated rows--that I missed last Friday. I think I like the cables workout best of all because there's almost no technique involved.

This morning, one-mile run-commute, at 22F/-5.5C, 5F/-15C windchill. Now that I'm back to bare full-time, I'm having trouble establishing my early morning runs. With today's windchill, and just a touch of snowy frosting, one mile was about all I was good for, although with more resolve I could've gone further. It's just easier to wait until the afternoon and sunshine. But then it's harder to get into my ST in the afternoon right after a longer run. What to do? Life is full of tough decisions.
My running watch had a flat battery, so I had to go naked, so to speak. Kinda fun to amble along without knowing anything about your pace and just run for a change.
I've been running numerically naked for a while now, and really like it. But I don't race or anything. The only use I have for my Garmin now is for keeping track of distance, but I've kind of gone back to Google Maps for that. Plus, after a lot of exploration last year, most of my route distances are now known to me. I mostly need it on my back-n-forths and loops up in the fairgrounds. Maybe when it gets a little bit warmer I'll start pushing the pace again and put on the Garmin in hopes of some manifest progress. But I think if I fail to get much faster this year, I'll just give up on the idea altogether.

Well, I posted on 8 other topics yesterday (several much more serious ones), and this is the one that you chose to give a response, with a rather lengthy post, with several citations. So, who's more invested? :p
My BRS activity is mostly restricted to this forum and a few threads on other forums, like the Winter Challenge thread. I sincerely admire you activism but I only check out other forums once in a while. And this is the only post I'm aware of in which you quoted me, and note I'm just giving you trouble after you initiated the topic, keeping it light with (hopefully obvious) silly quips and ironic citation ;). I hope this has all been taken in that spirit. I don't have anything against you or the good ISO folks in Switzerland. And for the record, I can see the whole Monday/Sunday thing either way. Like Andy says, technically, the weekend includes Sunday. But all my calendars start the week with Sunday. In general, I don't take sides in issues of pure convention. I'm happy to go along with institutional tradition, or the majority, whatever makes everyone happy. If there's no consensus, I'll just stick to habit. That's why I still use our nonsensical US customary units of measurement and Fahrenheit system. When I'm outside of the States, I'm happy to use the metric system. If everyone here on Mileage Reporting said, "Let's always start the week on Monday," I'd go along, but we've had this discussion before, and we're divided, so let's just leave it at that, OK? Besides, with the time zone differences, as Andy has noted, does it really matter?

sunday morning, Lisbon half marathon, 1h26, tarzan style (no shoes/no chrono/no powerade)
my second one barefoot,
my first one without blister,
so happy me !

a big big thank you to you BRS people for the motivation and inspiration (KB Saxton most of all, your book is a kind of new born for me)
still not ready for the whole marathon, but it will come, right ?

OK, sorry Sid, this whole exchange has left a bad taste in my mouth. I looked back at the 5:28am post, and I did exceed the limits of civility. I was just trying to have fun, but perhaps I veered into open sarcrasm, or was taken more seriously than I intended. I apologize. I consider you a good forum friend, and have learned a lot from your comments and links. I don't recall any disagreements in the past, and certainly don't want to create one out of nothing now. No hard feelings.

My exercise week starts on Sunday because it makes me feel like I"m getting something extra before the work week officially starts.
I'd rather that whatever I do on Sunday be the beginning of something than tacked on to the end, because then I feel like I can control starting over on the right track, or something.

I ran 12 minutes after my workout today. Can't increase tomorrow. My ankle now started to let me know it doesn't like this. If it's not one thing it's another. Sigh. It's always the left foot. There has never been anything with the right one. Why's that?? Good thing one food is great though :D
I will try 12 again tomorrow if my foot lets me, and then I'll stay at 12 for a while I guess :)

My exercise week starts on Sunday because it makes me feel like I"m getting something extra before the work week officially starts.
I'd rather that whatever I do on Sunday be the beginning of something than tacked on to the end, because then I feel like I can control starting over on the right track, or something.
It's funny, but my running week kind of ends on Saturday, with a long run, Sunday then being a rest or recovery day, which could make it the end of the exercise week, as God intended the Sabbath, but with my new, revamped six-day-a-week ST routine, the lifting week now has to begin (ideally at least) on Sunday, even though it feels more natural for it to begin on Monday. It doesn't because with my current focus on heavy lifts, the exercises divide up naturally into seven main lifts--deadlift, bench press, rows, squat, pulldowns, shoulder presses, and power cleans, with the last two combined in one workout--and if I started on Monday then I'd have to do ST after Saturday's long run.

I've noticed the same psychological effect that Scedastic describes. When I get in my deadlifts on Sunday, I feel like I've gotten a headstart on the week. Kind of like how an early morning run sets up the day nicely.

Still, I guess the Sun-Sat calendric diagram is drilled into my head enough that Sunday, whether an exercise, rest, or recovery day, always feels like the beginning of the week, albeit weakly. Maybe it harkens back to my youth, when Saturday night was the culmination and highlight of the week's activities.

At least we can all agree on month and year, right?

Meanwhile, some snow this morning, more on its way. Oh well, the dry surfaces were fun while it lasted. Back to the Sockwas for a few days.

Reactions: scedastic