Mileage Reporting 10th Week of 2013

Tues 45min swim. Chlorine itch! Going to try some products and showering before and after. Apparently, dry skin and hair sucks up water/chlorine.

Wed 25min exercises from Anatomy for Runners. Thinking about adding a 2-3mi run after my swims. We'll see.

They are now coming out with swimming pools around here that use saline (?) instead of chlorine. LOVE them!!! Chlorine makes me into a giant rash also.

Reactions: Sid
wednesday:
~35 min at the gym: 15 min elliptical to say I did, some abs, very few weights to save my arms for swimming

~55 min swim, alternating between using new swim toys (paddles and fins oh my), practicing backstroke, kicking, freestyle, etc. Good workout. Head still hurts from hitting the wall, only twice, practicing on my back. Oh, yeah, I'm graceful in the water.

~25-30 min light hiking, rolling hills of slushy snowy trails, at the local nature center

thurs:
so far, i'm guessign about 4 miles, not the highest energy i've been (didn't sleep much last night), but it happened. had to sweet talk a doggie who usually stays by his house but is starting to get a little jealous of running humans, imho.

planning on swimming at some point again today. spring break, got the time, lap lanes sparse, why not.

They are now coming out with swimming pools around here that use saline (?) instead of chlorine. LOVE them!!! Chlorine makes me into a giant rash also.
Chlorine skin allergy from the HS pool is a good part of the reason I didn't learn how to swim until I was 24. But I do fine with Chlorine now, so I wonder if it was pyscho-somatic.
3 miles in the pouring rain and LOTS of puddle jumping!!!
Do you squat-jump the puddles?
RumbleLargeBlack500.jpg
I got one of those, terrific! I use it along with my regular extra firm foam roller, 'stick,' dynamic stretches (mobility exercises), static stretches, finger massages, Knobble, and electric massager. As you can see, I'm quite catholic in my approach to remaining leg-loose & niggle-free; each one has its role.

Wednesday afternoon
Nice Shoulders and Lats ST session. My shoulder felt totally fine, although I still kept everything at about 80%, and came close to getting a proper 'pump'--the strength-training equivalent of 'runner's high.' Here's my yet-again revised st workout, in case Nick or anyone else is interested. I've incorporated the clubbells and suspension straps.

Attachments

• Strength Training Routine & Maxes 13.03.07.pdf
    238.3 KB · Views: 1
Tues 45min swim. Chlorine itch! Going to try some products and showering before and after. Apparently, dry skin and hair sucks up water/chlorine.

Wed 25min exercises from Anatomy for Runners. Thinking about adding a 2-3mi run after my swims. We'll see.

The dryness is getting to me too. If I'm hyper-vigilant about lotion afterwards, it's not so bad, but I'm not hyper-vigilant. My hair is doing surprisingly well though; although even with the swim cap, my hair will get somewhat wet, I never forget to rinse it out and/or wash it well and put in conditioner after every swim.

Nice workout schedule Lee, but I seem to get an error on the pdf that says my subscription to pdf complete has expired. I don't know what it is but the display of this error blocks the first four top rows of each page. Do you like that knobby roller? I've contemplated getting one like that, but it looks really evil and I'm not sure how much better it is than my other foam roller.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Nice workout schedule Lee, but I seem to get an error on the pdf that says my subscription to pdf complete has expired. I don't know what it is but the display of this error blocks the first four top rows of each page. Do you like that knobby roller? I've contemplated getting one like that, but it looks really evil and I'm not sure how much better it is than my other foam roller.
That's irritating. I deleted that program and converted to PDF just using my Excel program. I hate those invasive programs. I'll try again here.

Here (again) is the weekly context of the st workouts:

Sunday: Macro run (LSD--endurance)
Monday: Front ST & micro-run
Tuesday: Meso-run (Intervals/Fartleks/Hills--speed/power)
Wednesday: Top ST & micro-run
Thursday: Meso-run (Tempo--stamina)
Friday: Bottom ST & micro-run
Saturday: Back ST & mini-run

As for rolling, I like the knobby roller, but I don't think it's essential, and it's pricey. I probably wouldn't buy it again. I use my regular foam roller more, but the knobby one is good for a little extra torture. I mainly need the foam roller for my iliotibial band, and for that, the regular foam roller works fine. I roll the other sides of my upper leg too, and for that, the knobby roller digs in a bit deeper, which is helpful because the quads and hammies have more give to them than the outside of the leg. But I feel like just regular stretching pretty much keeps the hammies and quads good-to-go, so rolling them is supplementary. The ITB is a bit trickier and gets tight from running, so it gets extra attention, and rolling it seems almost as important as the ITB stretch--you know, that one stretch where you stand crossing legs and lean down to touch the floor opposite of the straight leg. I also got a softball for the glutes--wiggling around on top of that seems more effective than rolling. I also like the piriformis stretch for the glutes, and a ham string stretch bending over and moving my butt from side to side is good for the glutes/ITB too. (I hope I'm not making Jen all hot and bothered with these descriptions.) I find stretching and massaging the glutes is just as important as stretching and massaging the ITB for keeping the ITBS monster at bay.

Attachments

• Strength Training Routine & Maxes 13.03.07.pdf
    238.3 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Sid and NickW
I like the knobby one, but have not used a regular one. The knobs get in deep, where I don't think that a regular one could. I even used it on my neck this morning. I'm okay with torture. I had a whole body deep tissue massage yesterday, and I was too sore for my workout this morning. I'm going to start using the roller on my off days.

I do NOT jump-squat the puddles, but I should start!!! :playful:

Hot and bothered...lol! When am I NOT hot and bothered! :D

What is that knobby roller called, it's actual name? I may need to get one of those. And I think Mike may want to also, for those "hard to reach" places. BWAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAA!!!!! :eek:

Ok, that wasn't that funny. :meh:

As for Mike thinking he has witnessed the jump squat with gutteral sounds...he may be confusing that with when I've had to use the woods for a bathroom. HAH! :rolleyes:

The knobs get in deep, where I don't think that a regular one could.
Yah, I agree. I think the knobby roller is much better for places that have deeper tissues, like the quads and hammies, and feels pretty good on the back too. Just to clarify: I mainly need a roller for my ITB, and for that, a regular roller is fine, equal to or perhaps better than the knobby roller, because I'm specifically targeting something close to the skin. For most other areas, rolling isn't as necessary (for me), but I think the knobby roller is usually going to be superior to the smooth roller for those areas. But each form of attack, including vibrating electric massages, and dynamic and static stretches, have their value.

Stretch, knead, and vibrate, basically.
That's what keeps me
leg-loose and niggle-free,
feeling
footloose and fancy-free.

Edit: here's the one I got, Jen: http://www.amazon.com/RumbleRoller-RR316-Full-Size-31x6-Blue/dp/B0042JFAUK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362677297&sr=8-1&keywords=rumble roller

Reactions: jldeleon
Much better Lee. Thanks for the advice about the knobby roller. I had been thinking about getting one of the smaller ones and not the big mama jama I always see everybody get. I like rolling occasionally, but really I only wanted the knobby for getting the meatier parts of my legs better. I've actually been using one of my sons hard little plastic basketballs to dig in a bit deeper, but it's a pain to adjust though as you have to get it in just right spot. A roller is easier to adjust with.

I forgot to mention yesterday I had no real exercise although I did go in to the PT and he worked on my hamstring, heel, and ankle as my ankle seems to have been jamming up lately. Will be going to the gym in a little bit for todays exercise session.

I woke up this morning and my left scapula decided to take a trip. Damn. No running until it comes back. It "might" have something to do with suddenly running 16 miles in 5 days........... :shy:

I had been thinking about getting one of the smaller ones and not the big mama jama I always see everybody get.
I got the bigger ones and one small one for my office, but I think the smaller one is all you need for your legs, especially since rolling is more effective if you just roll one leg at a time and keep the other leg up so that more weight is on the leg being rolled. Edit: For the back, though, you'd definitely want the full-length one.

Reactions: NickW