Midfoot vs Forefoot Landing

What does that doggie have on his head, Lee?

I'm so sorry to hear that TJ. I know your frustration. I believe you will get better. I don't really know anything about the scar treatments other than what I've read on here, but I hope that is not causing you more problems...

Sorry to hear of your struggles and pain TJ. I hope you start feeling better very soon.
That was a thing I made for my dog in Africa, to keep the flies off while her ears healed from a flea and tick infestation. It worked! I like the way it makes her look like Underdog. Unfortunately, I've heard she hasn't been doing too well since we left.

I'm sorry about that, Lee. I hope it's not serious, and she will be fine.

Thanks for the support, you guys. It's difficult, especially the not knowing what is going on, not knowing what will happen, not knowing what I am facing.

Thank you, Gburg. It's getting more difficult as the days go by, the pain and not knowing how I may "be."

Thank you. I'm starting to wonder if I have neuropathy. There are other signs that go along with that, that I haven't meantime on here that fit me as well.

I'm sorry to hear TJ.
Get the best advice you can.
Get well soon.

I have no idea, Gburg. I hope to find out soon. (One thing I have brought up about me in the past, is that certain antibiotics in the floroquinolone/quinolone family can cause neuropathy.) After my initial visit on the 19th, they will do a nerve conduction test (EMG) that will tell us if there is something more systemic or autoimmune going on. There are different types of neuropathy (symmetrical peripheral neuropathy, mononeuropathy, mononeuritis multiplex, polyneuropathy, autonomic neuropathy, and neuritis.)

There are certain things the nerves control in the body that we take for granted. The nerves control autofunctions/autosystems, things that we don't have to consciously think about, such as temperature, urinary retention, breathing, etc.

I don't think the hand pain is sympathetic. With symmetrical peripheral neuropathy, if one side of the body, say the left foot is having problems, then the right side will too. If one leg is having problems, then the right one will too, and so on. My left wrist and hand were the first to experience the pain I described and has for a very long time now (although it diminished from time-to-time, it never disappeared), and now my right wrist and hand are experiencing the same exact pain. I have not found that if the feet are affected, the wrists and hands will be too. I am wondering if it is not nerve damage, then could it be arthritis...at 45 years old?! :(

Well, I hope for the best for you.
I have no idea, Gburg. I hope to find out soon. (One thing I have brought up about me in the past, is that certain antibiotics in the floroquinolone/quinolone family can cause neuropathy.) After my initial visit on the 19th, they will do a nerve conduction test (EMG) that will tell us if there is something more systemic or autoimmune going on. There are different types of neuropathy (symmetrical peripheral neuropathy, mononeuropathy, mononeuritis multiplex, polyneuropathy, autonomic neuropathy, and neuritis.)

There are certain things the nerves control in the body that we take for granted. The nerves control autofunctions/autosystems, things that we don't have to consciously think about, such as temperature, urinary retention, breathing, etc.

I don't think the hand pain is sympathetic. With symmetrical peripheral neuropathy, if one side of the body, say the left foot is having problems, then the right side will too. If one leg is having problems, then the right one will too, and so on. My left wrist and hand were the first to experience the pain I described and has for a very long time now (although it diminished from time-to-time, it never disappeared), and now my right wrist and hand are experiencing the same exact pain. I have not found that if the feet are affected, the wrists and hands will be too. I am wondering if it is not nerve damage, then could it be arthritis...at 45 years old?! :(

I'm in the midfoot landing camp. It would probably be more accurate to call it flatfoot. I don't pay too much attention until I start to get tired, them I'm more focused on form so i don't do something stupid and get hurt.

Sorry to revive this old thread. I just finished watching this rather long video by Dr. David Lieberman
http://achesandjoints.org/2012/04/25/lieberman-barefoot-running/
It is interesting, but there are many of his points that I would question.
I think what bothers me most is that all of his research is based on his belief that barefoot runners land on the forefoot.
I would be curious as to what percentage of BRS members land forefoot.
I am a midfoot lander. I find that forcing my forefoot into stones hurts.
I believe my midfoot landing does send a significant shock through the body, but puts less strain on the metatarsals and tendons than forefoot landing.
I know we are all different, but I have always had a hard time trying to land forefoot.

When running I am, mostly, a mid-foot lander - when sprinting I land forefoot and my heel doesn't get close to the ground.

Jason Robillard described his ideal landing best - pancake flat!

I think most of the "shock" of mid-foot landing is absorbed by the flexed ankle and knee and does not get much higher up the leg.

I'm a beginner here, so what I do is probably not relevant. But I have difficulty visualising what a 'mid foot' landing would be. I have flat feet, but even my feet have an arch when I am about to 'touch down'. I can visualise that I could land heel first or ball first or try to touch both simultaneously, but the only way I could land mid foot would be to roll my foot and land on the extreme outside edge. Is that what you mean? If so, I think that was what I was doing to begin with, because i had a mental image that that was correct, but then I realised that I could only do that if I was reaching my foot out in front of me. Once I started landing my foot under me, I think forefoot followed by heel became the only mechanical possibility.

[quote="barefootn, post: 133978, member: 1704" ]I find that forcing my forefoot into stones hurts.]

[/quote]

Also, I'm guessing that 99.9999999% of people would agree with this statement, which makes me think that you must mean something different by 'forefoot landing' than the people who do run comfortably like that. It sounds to me like that experience would tend to suggest that you were landing your foot in front of you while moving towards it, rather than under you where there is no relative speed between it and the ground.