Michigan Runner Magazine

dirtdemon77

Barefooters
Apr 4, 2010
I was excited to be handed a copy of the May/June issue of Michigan Runner magazine this morning. On the cover was a headline about barefoot running.

Inside was a well written review of Born to Run, followed by another columnist that wansn't so hot on the book.

What caught my attention was a full page article entitle barefoot-running movement gaining momentum.

The one barefooter the author claims is one of a very few in Michigan, only trains one or two days a week barefoot, to work on his form. Otherwise, he does his running in shoes, which is typical of most barefooters. They only use it as a training technique.

The author was considerring trying bf training, but was going to do it at a local highschool athletic field where he could run on the soft turf.

I haven't been able to find the article online, but if anyone does, it's worth reading, just to see what kind of myths exist.

We are here to dispel the

We are here to dispel the myths... We have a long road ahead of us.

i'm kind of getting tired of

i'm kind of getting tired of all things barefoot bieng about born to run. yes i love the book and yes i appreciate what it's done for recognition but it's a story. it's not a how to book and i see a lot of people being led into injury because of the enthusiasm of that book. it also seems like a lot of articles miss the point of barefoot running because their only real point of view is that book. do some research people!

I have never even read the

I have never even read the book. I actually learned about bf while searching Jason's site for ultra info. I did send the author a rather lengthy e-mail with links to articles and information to help better inform him.

I liked the book, but I

I liked the book, but I thought it was really more about the mindset of people who can seemingly run forever and w/o injury. It was more about the joy of running, I think. Barefoot running was almost an afterthought that really only got a chapter (if I remember right)! Christopher McDougall ran in shoes then!

that's what i find so

that's what i find so amazing about that book and that it is the reference point for all barefoot info in the media. i know part of that is mcdougall is now a barefoot runner and promotes the heck out of it but the book is not about barefoot running. in fact there's more talk about the sandals they wear than there is barefoot running in there except for barefoot ted. i just made some tire hurraches and they are not minimal in the sole at all so i dont get it.

I'm glad I started barefoot

I'm glad I started barefoot running before the book came out, about three months. I had no expectations. Some read the book and begin having expectations. That's a no-no and will get you injured.

I thought I was an oddball when I started running barefoot because no one else was doing it...or so I thought. It wasn't until I googled barefoot running did I realize I wasn't the only oddball out there after all. There was a whole group of us, although small at the time.

fetish4running wrote:I liked

fetish4running said:
I liked the book, but I thought it was really more about the mindset of people who can seemingly run forever and w/o injury. It was more about the joy of running, I think. Barefoot running was almost an afterthought that really only got a chapter (if I remember right)! Christopher McDougall ran in shoes then!

That's how I felt about BTR, too. Of course I had already started my BF-transition so it wasn't my main introduction to it.

One of very few in Michigan,

One of very few in Michigan, eh? He must not have been at the barefoot meetup for the Fifth Third. Hmmm...

DD, who was the author? I'm curious if I know them or not...

I agree with Born to Run. I thought it was a good book, but it wasn't about barefoot running. McDougall kinda poked fun at Ted for it. It was more anti-modern running shoe than anything else.

For awhile, it annoyed me when people would ask if I ran barefoot because of Born to Run. I got tired of feeling like I had to explain my running history to people that had no interest in BFR.

Jason, it was written by Ron

Jason, it was written by Ron Marinucci...never heard of him, probably some downstater. Oops, sorry LOL

The review of BTR was written by Dave Foley, whose Cadillac XC teams I ran agains in high school.

I feel your pain Jason.  I

I feel your pain Jason. I run into the same thing all the time. Especially with the vffs. I got mine over 3 years ago but everyone thinks they just came out as the "new running shoe" so they think I've just jumped on board. I had to just get over it and realize we're all on the same wave.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test