metatarsalgia - can't pronounce it, but I got it

BFwillie_g

Barefooters
May 17, 2010
Kulmbach, Germany
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/metatarsalgia/DS00496

anybody else? This is what was causing the numb toes I wrote about a couple weeks ago. I've felt this in the ball of my right foot for quite a while, in fact, but it never crippled me and goes away very quickly if I run on a softer surface - I've done the bulk on my running on a grassy meadow lately and would only feel this if I hit a hidden rock or hard lumpy thing.

But I was in the city with the group last week, running BF on cobblestones and I think that sent me over the limit. The ball of my foot is swollen and tough, and was sore all day yesterday and last night. Today, it's already letting up and I think I'll run tomorrow. I have to be careful, though. Gonna wear my Aquashoes.

One thing that I've noticed is I feel this more when I wear my Huaraches than when I'm BF - does that make sense somehow? Maybe just because of the enhanced feedback of the Naked Soles?

Anyway, if there are a few more of you out there, let me know how you've made out with this! The WORST thing is landing on a rock, btw. That mght be another clue to my Huarache problem - I wear them on rocky trails as opposed to the smoth pavement and grassy farm fields I do my nude running on.

Bummer Willie! Have you been

Bummer Willie! Have you been in to be seen? What will this mean for your immediate future running wise?

@Mike - yeah, I assume it's

@Mike - yeah, I assume it's something like that. Although I do my best to run lightly with or without foot covering, I guess that extra serving of sensory feedback from the naked skin on the ground just fine-tunes the whole package.

@Zumba - Hey you :) Yeah, good question. At the moment it means my foot hurts and I won't be barefooting on hard surfaces. I am going to run on my meadows, though, and I'll have to get a few runs in with shoes as well. But there are three races over th enext three weekends that I was supposed to take part in and I think I'm just gonna blow them off. They're not really that important and I have a larger goal of completing an ultra in the Spring 2012.

But I'm going to experiment and see what works and what doesn't.

My biggest concern is that this may be the kind of thing that just doesn't go away permanently. I have a feeling that I'm going to be dealing with this a lot in the future and will have to compromise more than I want to.

I'd really like to hear of other people's experience with the condition but it doesn't seem all that common. I did search for it, of course, but there's not much there.

Up the chia, it's an

Up the chia, it's an anti-inflamatory, hopefully that will help some.

I have no experience, though remember seeing a post about it on here a while back. Maybe search back a bit? I hope it isn't something that is there indefinitely