Merrill Trail Glove concerns

LavaRunner

Chapter Presidents
Jun 4, 2010
First off, applologies for not being around. Life is busy and moving fast. I'll try to be better in the future.

I am starting a training program for a 50 miler this winter. http://www.stone-mill-50-mile.org

I will do this minimalistic and the shoes I thought I would choose would be the Merrill Trail glove based on the feedback and reviews. However I have only done short trail runs in the Merrill and yesterday I started my Trail Tuesdays plan which is my long trail run since I work from home on tuesday and can get started early.

The result after two hours of running a rather hilly trail, a nasty blister behind the ball of the right foot . I have run 1/2 marathons BF, 10 Milers BF, Trails BF and all of the afformentioned in VFF's and although early on I had a few blister on the ball of my feet, I never had a blister in the arch. What gives?

I did a google search and I am not alone. This seems to be a problem with the Trail Glove. Has anyone else had these blisters and do the shoes break in anough that it goes away?

It is early enough in my plan to switch gears to another tread but I have serious doubts right now about the Merrill Trail Glove.

The EVA in the midsole breaks

The EVA in the midsole breaks down as you run in them, and I've found that this decreases the likelihood of blisters. I used to get blisters on my arch from the TGs, but nothing recently.

To be a devil's advocate though, why not try the run in some VFFs? If not your current ones, then a pair of Treks. At least then you know what you're getting is a product that works for you. I'm a super big fan of the TGs on the trails, but you should go with what works best for you.

Wish I could help ya. I've

Wish I could help ya. I've put a couple hundred miles on my TGs and never had a blister.

saypay45 wrote:The EVA in

saypay45 said:
The EVA in the midsole breaks down as you run in them, and I've found that this decreases the likelihood of blisters. I used to get blisters on my arch from the TGs, but nothing recently.

To be a devil's advocate though, why not try the run in some VFFs? If not your current ones, then a pair of Treks. At least then you know what you're getting is a product that works for you. I'm a super big fan of the TGs on the trails, but you should go with what works best for you.

Good to know they break in a little. I wear them a lot, just very little running time in them. I loved running in them yesterday and felt nothing while running. Maybe I am brain dead, a complete possibility since no brain no pain. It wasn't until I removed them that I saw the gnarly blista. The TG's are by far not my favorite street shoe if I wear shoes at all. They suck on the road IMHO. However, on the trail they are a dream, with a very slight amount of Rock plate and good traction, they are great. However the Blister was a shocker. I have done 18 mile trail runs in VFF KSO’s and come out with a smile and only soggy feet. This trail has a lot of little pointy rocks, tough areas and can be prone to lots of mud, something VFF’s are not great at. I have some treks, they are so worn down that they are just as slick as my KSO’s. I’d man up and do it barefoot but not after seeing Nate’s feet :0 Seriously, I want to finish the 50. Speed is not an issue and I have completely changed how I train from miles and pace to time on the trail. Hour out hour back, two out, two back and how far I get depends on how I feel. I just ain’t ready to nail the whole 50 BF, but then, November is a long ways off and it could change.

Timely post. I will run my

Timely post. I will run my first trail half marathon on the 29th and was planning on getting a pair of Merrell gloves for that occasion. I can get 20% off if I wait until May 20, assuming my REI store still has my size in stock by then. And that would leave me only 1 week to break them in. Maybe it's not such a good plan.

I'm curious to see how many women have the same blister problem with the Pace Glove. Maybe the women's model doesn't have that problem. Or maybe I'll have to run my race BF.

SP talks about the midsole breaking down after a while, can you just remove it? Would it help with blisters.

I'm still quite the

I'm still quite the tenderfoot in barefoot running, but overall I like the TG's. I agree with you LavaRunner about them being better on the trail. I'm wearing them at work today, basically just to keep strengthening my feet since I'm still in the early stages, and I realized I like them much better when they are very loose. I pretty much have them as loose as I possibly can get them. There loose enough I can pull them on and off. I don't even have the laces put through the last two holes. I'm not sure how this will transition on the road or trails, but we will see.

BTW... do any of you have any recommendations for a street minimalist shoes? Right now I only have the TG's, but feel that something else would be better.

As far as street Minimalist

As far as street Minimalist shoes. I just don't think Vibram Five Fingers can be beat. Great ground feel, Comfortable, last forever, well designed. I am still trying to wear out my three year old pair and I got a pair of Classics from 2007 that I occationaly wear when I want to look like a strange ballerina

Another option are the NB Minimus, A great shoe but certainly not minimalistic but not a high heeled sneaker either. I tested a pair and still wear them as one of my most comfortable shoes I ever owned. In the winter I ran in them and they insulated me from cold ground better than the VFF's

It is now summer and I dare say, it is full on barefoot season. Skip the shoes unless you are working and build up the pads on your feet. They are as minimal as you can get. If that is too much too soon on tenderfeet, try a cheap pair of socks.

i have some TG i'm testing,

i have some TG i'm testing, and i'm not liking them. i'm trying to be fair and give myself some time to adjust but its just not happening. i get pain in my left leg, knees, and shin splints. i again had to go bf because i couldn't deal with the pain. i have no problems bf, in huaraches, or vff. these just seem to be too much shoe for me. i'm going to give them another try and then give my review.

Mike

migangelo, are you wearing

migangelo, are you wearing them on the road?

I CANNOT run on the road with these shoes, there is something about them that almost makes it harder to run. I BF to the trail then put them on. Maybe it is the Rockplate, or that they almost feel to have a negitive lift.

only on the trails. i know

only on the trails. i know i'm heel striking in them. they felt great first time i put them on. next time i'm going to wear them during a cycle and not at the beginning of one. i want to see if that will help.

I just got the women's

I just got the women's Merrell pace gloves last week and am really curious how they'll work for me. I picked them up at my local REI so I can test them out and return them if I hate them. I have had multiple issues with my VFFs (I have webbed toes), but, like Sloutre, I plan on doing my first trail half marathon at the end of August, so I need something more than BF, which is how I run now. It'll be interesting, though, seeing as my form seems to deteriorate the more shoe I have on. Bad form = pain, so we'll see how it goes.

Gotta look for another

Gotta look for another aggressive trail shoe. These Merrells just don't cut it. I am running different segments of the Greenway Trail in Maryland that will ultimately be a 50 Miler this fall but the shoes are not going to cut the mustard.

Every time I run in them I get listers on top of my feet. The blister on the arch was healed and now doesn't reoccur. However when the shoe bends it forms several blisters ont eh top of my feet and when I sweat to the point they become saturated they get really slippery inside. THis causes me to tighten them even more and tehn they start to hurt. Just too many issues to deal with. I just want to run. These trails aren't really made for VFF's or Huaraches, Just can't see me making any time with those and bareboot I would end up hurting myself or slowing way down to pay attention to the myrads of poity things, roots and rocks. The trail has a lot of wet areas of Maryland clay, I seem to spend more time on my Arss than running in that stuff unless I have a little traction.

I think I'll take a look at the NB MT20 or MT10 if I can find a pair locally. They look to have promise and come in EE widths wich I need.

I did a 20-miler last

I did a 20-miler last Saturday in my MTGs last weekend and ended up pretty bloody afterwards. I typically go without socks and the seam near the big toe rubbed the side of my foot pretty raw. The trail I am tackling is pretty gnarly and I feel it is a good test to see how good minimalist footwear will perform for me on my upcoming 50 miler (Oct).

Rather than throw in the towel on these I plan to do another 15 - 20 miler this weekend but will wear some injinji socks and see how they fare this time around.

I have a 50k out in the same area on July 9 and am hoping to wear them but I have the Treks as a backup plan.

I thought about socks,

I thought about socks, especially since I get so dang sweaty and the shoes get soaked. I thought that maybe hauling along a few pairs on long runs would keep my feet from turning into prunes and as one pair got soaked, the others could dry hanging on the Nathan in the wind. However, I tried them and they bunched up on me, it seemed like the MTG's suck socks down inside. Granted I used low ankle socks, maybe something like the ininji's might be better, something to try. A higher sock would be nice since the trail I am running is tearing my legs up. They would also stop a lot of the slipping around inside after they get wet.

Right now I need to disinfect the MTG's, they have a funk that would scare away vultures. I actually put them on my feet last night and was gagging. Not a good way to start a run.

The good news is that I have covered every inch of my November 50 miler. I know know what sort of hell to expect.

Tonight I had to banish the

Tonight I had to banish the MTG's to the Garage. I have tried all the tricks and they stink so bad that having them in the house was causeing threats to call teh board of health.

I ran out of sink the stink, tried several cleaners but to no avail, they are officially rotten.

i washed mine and they

i washed mine and they smelled and looked like new. machines can be good.

I use odor eaters foot

I use odor eaters foot powder. Works like a charm for my Vibrams between washings. Not a heavy perfume. Not really sure what's in it but works immediately. About 5 bucks a canister, and lasts for months. I never plug a product, but I'd hate to be without this stuff.

John T.

Lavarunner, Try soaking

Lavarunner,

Try soaking them in the bucket of water overnight with 4-6 denture cleaning tablets. I read about that in a VFF stench thread and have used it with good results with both my VFF's and my Trail Gloves.

I decided I'd take the VFF

I decided I'd take the VFF Treks out this weekend (with socks) and see how they would fare on the weekend trail run. I ended up doing 21 miles but my feet were hurting at around mile 17 or 18. The balls of my feet got really hot and felt as if they were on fire. Had to stop a few times and soak in creeks. When no creeks were available, I'd resort to a quick walk but walk on the outer parts of my feet until the pads felt cool enough to run some more.

Wasn't the best run but I got it done. The sad part was that the 21 miles were done on the same trails I will be doing the 50k on in 2 weeks. I really need to figure out some footwear.