Merrell Introduces Barefoot Running Education Site Barefoot Connection By Jason Robillard

merrellssite.jpg

Merrell Introduces Barefoot Running Education SiteBarefoot ConnectionBy Jason Robillard
Merrell has launchedtheir barefoot education microsite. This is the first wave of education materials I have been assisting in producing. For those of us that have long-complained that shoe companies didn’t listen to the needs of barefoot runners, this represents a HUGE turning point.

Not only has Merrell produced a great tool for us to use when we encounter terrain or temperatures that prevent us from being barefoot, they decided to take an active role in educating all outdoor enthusiasts transitioning to better form. I genuinely believe this step will cause other companies to follow suit and release education programs of their own.

For years, the barefoot running movement has been a ripple in the pond. This education program represents the building tidal wave that will soon engulf the entire shoe industry! It’s an exciting tie to be a barefoot/minimalist shoe runner!

MERRELL LAUNCHES INDUSTRY FIRST BAREFOOT RUNNING EDUCATION SITE

Go-To Barefoot Running and Adventure Resource Includes Merrell Bareform Training Technique That Blends Proper Running Form with a Total Body Strengthening and Flexibility

ROCKFORD, Mich. (February 1, 2011) – In tandem with its first barefoot collection of shoes hitting market, Merrell launches a new microsite, merrell.com/barefoot, the “go-to” resource on how to begin and train for barefoot running and adventure. As part of the launch, Merrell will introduce the Merrell Bareform Training Technique that incorporates proper running form, body strengthening and a flexibility regime for top condition training. Partnering with key barefoot and running ambassadors, such as Walt Reynolds, a top trainer, coach and owner of NovaSport Athlete Development, and Jason Robillard, barefoot ultra marathoner and founder of the Barefoot Running University, the site will introduce barefoot adventure to fans through videos, tips and news articles related to the growing barefoot movement.

“As we looked at the fast-paced barefoot movement and listened to key influencers in barefoot running and lifestyle, we realized there was no place consumers could go to learn about the necessary training and education needed for barefoot adventure,. said Craig Throne, vice president of global marketing manager at Merrell.

“My primary decision to work with Merrell was based on their dedication to education around barefoot,” said Jason Robillard, barefoot ultra marathoner and founder of the Barefoot Running University. “To date, every other manufacturer of minimalist shoes has done a poor job of educating people about proper running gait when transitioning from traditional running shoes to minimalist shoes or barefoot. Merrell is the first to fill this education void, and I am more than happy to help them do so. My ultimate goal in the promotion of barefoot running has always been education. We can help fuel their enthusiasm about barefoot running while providing solid information to prevent them from injury.”

“I am a firm believer that everyone can ‘move better’ and barefoot is the best way to do so,” said Walt Reynolds, long-time trainer, coach and owner of NovaSport Athlete Development. “I am thrilled to help Merrell develop an educational program that supports their new barefoot line of shoes. The Merrell Bareform Training program combines the benefits of proper running form with total body conditioning, strength & mobility exercises that apply to hikers and climbers as well. This is a whole-body program that will benefit every active person, no matter what outdoor adventure they choose.”

This March Merrell is planning to introduce a barefoot training iPhone application designed to introduce runners and outdoor enthusiasts to the barefoot movement and provide the education needed to begin to run and move.

Merrell Barefoot will be available at retail stores and on merrell.com in February. Merrell Barefoot blends minimalist design for added foot freedom with specific traction zones to meet the needs of any terrain – from street to trail. The designs help engage the feet for a more natural stride by moving the wearer off the heel and encouraging forward momentum to a mid-foot landing with lower impact and a more aligned and efficient gait. This technique helps stimulate and strengthen muscles in the legs and feet.

Merrell® is a brand within the Outdoor Group, a division of Wolverine World Wide, Inc. that also includes Chaco and Patagonia Footwear. Merrell believes in encouraging everyone to get outside, be active and have fun, and is the largest outdoor brand partner of the National Park Foundation. Wolverine World Wide, Inc. is headquartered in Rockford, Michigan. The company’s portfolio of highly-recognized brands includes: Bates®, Chaco, Cushe®, Hush Puppies®, Merrell®, Sebago® and Wolverine®. The Company is also the exclusive footwear licensee of the following popular brands: CAT®, Harley-Davidson® and Patagonia®. The Company’s products are carried by leading retailers in the U.S. and globally in nearly 180 countries and territories. Merrell, 9341 Courtland Drive, Rockford, Mich. 49351. Phone: (800) 789-8586; Fax: (888) 746-3329. FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/merrell TWITTER: @merrelloutside.

Stay tuned- I’ll be posting about my “behind-the-scenes” experiences while producing the Merrell videos! Preview- Hollywood won’t be calling any time soon.
icon_smile.gif

Finally…

Exactly why Merrell with the help of Jason and others in the BFR/MR community are doing all they can at this time to promote barefoot first (at least barefoot technique) through their educational programs and videos.

It's a start, but we have some work ahead of us; for example, the BRSencourages "barefoot-inspired footwear" terminology over "barefoot running shoes."But at the same time, being someone who has been damaged for life by traditional running shoes, I see the value in this type of healthy, alternative footwear over the garbage of yesteryear, and therefore, I have no problem supporting them as they bring healthier, happier running to many more people.