Men's Health screwed up but has a good article

dmcchesney

Barefooters
Feb 25, 2011
The article it has good points but not quite there. They think BFR and Minishod running is the same, and the picture is the absolute worst example of BFR! Its just an actor that don't know sh*t about proper form! That pissed me off!

Yea, the picture is corny.I

Yea, the picture is corny.

I loved that they didn't blame BFR for the injuries but blamed minshoes instead:

But injuries are rising with shoe sales, says podiatrist Marybeth Crane, a foot and ankle surgeon in North Texas. “I’d say that 85 percent of my patients get injured trying to transition to the new shoes.”

The problem for those trying it isn’t the shoes, though, but weak feet and poor form, according to emerging research.

The statement that ticked me off was this one:

...newfound devotees are hobbling around with stress fractures, plantar fasciitis, achilles tendonitis, and neuromas in their toes.

Wait a minute! Aren't these the same injuries people in shoes are always going to their doctors for? Adding neuromas to the comment really makes me angry, since studies show that shoes are the number one cause of Morton's neuromas. I wanted to yell at the podiatriest, "We don't develop neuromas in our toes, you moron! We develop them in our feet between the mets. Act like you know something!"

I love the way these reporters/podiatrists count the numbers of patients they are seeing now due to the new way of running. BS! There aren't that many of us out there! They see more shod runners than they do barefoot or minimalist runners. I would like to know what the numbers of shoddies being seen are.

Stomper- Of course that's my

Stomper- Of course that's my comment as David M. hah

TJ- yeah we are getting the word out there, but they did screw up a little bit but getting better. Those quotes you pulled got to me too, they need to start comparing shod and BFR injuries and not shod vs. minishod

Okay, I toned it down a

Okay, I toned it down a little. Here's my post, but first, did you notice all the sales pitches in the posts? Hysterical!

At the very least, they didn’t blame BFR for the injuries but blamed minshoes instead.

“…newfound devotees are hobbling around with stress fractures, plantar fasciitis, achilles tendonitis, and neuromas in their toes.”

Wait a minute! Aren’t these the same injuries people in shoes are always going to their doctors for? Adding neuromas to the comment really makes me angry, since studies show that shoes are the number one cause of Morton’s Neuroma. I developed MN while I was running in Saucony Grid Ignitions and Asics Kayanos over many years of shod running, not while running barefoot these past three years! Is it Dr. Crane or Cane? The article calls her both. Dr. Crane, we don’t develop neuromas in our toes as you stated; we develop them in our feet between the mets. You of all people should know better. Running in bare feet doesn’t cause people to develop neuromas, shoes do!

I love the way these reporters/podiatrists count the numbers of patients they are seeing now due to the “new way of running.” Nonsense! There aren’t that many of us out there! They see more shod runners than they do barefoot or minimalist runners. I would like to know what the numbers of shoddies being seen are and exactly what there injury rates are.

MH is a joke of a mag. I came

MH is a joke of a mag. I came across one in a cafe last month here in Ireland, UK version of the mag. Had an article on BF running, fair enough. On the very next page - an article on the wet test and how to choose the correct motion control/stabalizing shoe...

They have good info on

They have good info on lifting, dieting and staying healty. They are also getting on the right track because their articles on BFR on getting better

LOL!  Anyone who's run

LOL! Anyone who's run barefoot for longer than 3mo knows that guy with the grin, doesn't! Little calves, chasing his head, leaned way to his left...there is all kinds of wrong going on with his form!

I also love how people who have not studied running form, gone barefoot running or heard more than one person's opinion on the subject, think they are qualified to advise the world or speculate on the motives of those who actually do BFR!

-Jonny

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test