Member Profile of the Week - Mary "Barefoot Mary" Hartman - Mizunos No More

huronriver3.jpg

Member Profile of the Week
Mary "Barefoot Mary" Hartman
Mizunos No More

Mary Hartman, also known as Barefoot Mary on the forums, is 23 years old and recently moved from Big Rapids, Michigan, to Arvada, “smack dab between Denver & Boulder,” where she works as a Catering Manager at Panera Bread Co. Mary attended Ferris State University, where she earned a Bachelors of Science degree in Technical & Professional Communication. She has two tuxedo-colored blackandwhite cats named Ruby and Stewart.

She is married to Matt who also runs barefoot with her. She shares, "His motivation was to get fitand eliminate his yucky yellow shoe-induced calluses at the same time. I will admit, strange motivation. However, it's working! His itchy annoying calluses are scraping offin the shower, replaced by strong reddish foot pads like mine. It's really incredible to watch! And very weird!"
She considers all of her runs unusual because she has a habit of listening to NPR podcasts while she runs, such as Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, All Songs Considered, This American Life, etc., etc. Her most memorable run comes from the time she spent giggling to a David Sedaris monologue in the pouring rain on a muddy dirt road one summer. She says, “I was miles from home, absolutely drenched, and loving every minute of it!”
Mary has been running for the past five years. Her favorite distance is anything above the half marathon. She adds, “I'm excited to get back to my long runs once my feet adjust...patiently waiting now...!” Her favorite race was The Dexter-Ann Arbor Run Half Marathon because “It's a beautiful course, all along the Huron River [pictured above], through the lush Michigan woods, and across railroad track crossings. I really should go back next year. The people are just so nice. There was a moment when a cover band was playing Gimmie Shelter as a train went roaring by the course. PURE MAGIC. That moment powered me through my last 2 miles. :)
She just ran her first completely barefoot 5K on October 10 at the Red Rocks Amphitheater. Her PRs consist of 28:39 for the 5K, and adds, “I ran that during a St. Patties Day 5K. I was really bookin’ it after I learned only so many racers would get their novelty beer stein at the finish! I HAD TO have mine! Lol.”; and 2:08 in the half marathon.
She says she enjoys running because “It makes me feel strong and free, in control. It makes me think better after I've had a bad day. It brings out conversations that my husband and I would never have at home on the couch. And now, barefoot, I feel closer to my natural self.”
She explains what brought her to barefoot running. “I read Born to Run, like everybody else. It started as a barefoot “experiment,” since I'd never been seriously injured ever before (not counting one time when my shoes got so old, they overworked my top-of-foot muscles and strained them. I couldn't run for 2 weeks. That was wild. Or was it a sign of my weak feet?) Anyway, at first I intended on keeping my beloved Mizunos on my feet forever. My third barefoot run ended in blood blisters, but I was so in love...and my feet have changed to the point where my shoes feel horrible and uncomfortable. I really don't know why I started. I guess I just wanted to run, and I love sprinting so fast and smooth. No more bouncing or jostling. Just straight, soft, speed. It's addicting.”
Mary enjoys knitting, playing trombone in a community band, drinking interesting beers, Yoga, hiking, reading (biographies and memoirs mostly), cooking, and says, “I have a knack for tofu, hummas, and soy, since I was raised a vegan but have since fallen to the dark side. I ate my first hotdog at the age of 13.:)
Mary shares a couple of interesting facts about herself. “I know 2 different ways to solve the Rubiks Cube and competed in the U.S. Open in Chicago a couple years back.” [Awesomeness right there, folks!]
She says her reason for joining the Barefoot Runners Society is “to learn from other barefooter's experiences, as I am still a noob to all this. I am so grateful for the resource too! The Barefoot Runners Society is like nothing else on the internet. No other forums come close for good information or debate that's relevant and important to barefoot running!”
Mary.jpg

Idefinitely have to agree with you on the sprinting, I tend to find myself randomly flying down the road, until I get tired from going too fast, haha. Then I walk a couple feet and take off again.

Ineed to get my friend to teach me how to solve a rubiks cube, I can do everything but the last layer.