Meet Me Downtown 5K / Colossal Cave 5K

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by devilnuts, Jun 3, 2011.

1. devilnuts

devilnuts Barefooters
    1. Hawaii
    2. Arizona -...

Anyone running either of these? I am doing both. The Meet Me Downtown 5K is tomorrow evening (7 p.m.) downtown and has about 1400 people registered for it. So that should be quite interesting. The Colossal Cave 5K is next Saturday morning at 6 a.m. and gets about 150 people out there.

The course for the Colossal Cave run is not very BF friendly if I remember correctly. It was the first run that I used my VFFs last year. Wow...time flies...hahaha.

There is also a 4th of July 5K at the Golf Links Sports Complex at Golf Links and Craycroft (right across from the DM entrance). This is a moderate BF course. There are many surfaces that you run over (packed dirt, loose dirt, rocks, concrete, grass, and one pass over a rickety wooden bridge...hahaha), so it might not be the best for someone that doesn't have a lot of BF miles yet.

The Colossal Cave and 4th of July runs are done by Tagg Running. They generally attract about 100 to 200 people of all ages (I think the youngest I've seen was 5 and the oldest was 78) and all abilities. There are some people that walk the entire course (and there is an award for "Last and Proud of It") and some that are very fast. It is a smaller more friendly group. Some of the people at the SAR races take it way too seriously and some of their events have a crapload of people (1400 is A LOT).

I would love to see some of you out there some time. I know that I'm not the only barefoot runner. I know there are at least 5 more in Tucson (since we have 6 members). It would be awesome to see you guys out there. I'll get a pic posted as soon as I get one of me running BF. Haven't managed to get a picture taken of me running BF yet, but when I do...

Hope to see you guys out on some of these runs!

-James

2. run_barefoot_az

run_barefoot_az Barefooters
    1. Arizona -...
    2. Arizona -...

Wish I saw this before I ran. I did run in the Meet Me Downtown 5K.Saw a lot ofVFF's, I had the palm/gray KSO's. It was good to see so many out in VFF's.

Chris

3. devilnuts

devilnuts Barefooters
    1. Hawaii
    2. Arizona -...

Yeah, there were a lot of VFFs down there. I saw two other people running BF, so there were at least three of us. The road was alright for the most part, but the last .35 miles or so was friggin' rough. I probably lost almost a minute off my time because of that. I don't know if I'm doing the Colossal Cave run BF. I might wear my VFFs. I seem to remember the road being a little more rough last year. If they repaved it or if there is enough dirt to run on, I might run BF, but if it is rough like that last part of the Meet Me Downtown run, then I'm not going to. On the bright side, it will be a heck of a lot cooler in the morning than it was at 7 p.m. hahaha.

4. run_barefoot_az

run_barefoot_az Barefooters
    1. Arizona -...
    2. Arizona -...

I figured the street was rough and hot. I could feel it through my KSOs. I passed one BF runner who was walkingalong Meyer, the only one I saw actually, so I figure the course was beingtough on BF. I think the next one I do will be Saguaro Natl Park in September. I got to get my pace below 10 mins.

5. devilnuts

devilnuts Barefooters
    1. Hawaii
    2. Arizona -...

Ahhh, so you are doing the Gabe Zimmerman Triple Crown? I am as well. A 10 min pace is good for BF. I think that mine was 9:02/mile for the downtown run. Not my best time, but considering that it was 95 degrees at the start...not too shabby. I hope to be below 8 by the Saguaro race. Hopefully into the 7:30s...but we'll see. You're doing the half marathon as well, right? Yeah, I saw one of the other barefooters walking as well. He evidently started ahead of me, but didn't keep the pace up...hahaha. I'm more about slow and steady than sprinting then walking.

-James

6. devilnuts

devilnuts Barefooters
    1. Hawaii
    2. Arizona -...

Okay, I didn't do the Colossal Cave run BF. When I got out there, I could see that the road was really rough. So I wore my VFFs. I didn't have that great a time, but I was about a minute and a half faster than last year...hahaha. I made up for it by running 5 miles around Reid Park/Randolph Golf Course this morning. LOL.