Med City Marathon

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Barefoot Dama, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Barefoot Dama

Barefoot Dama Barefooters
    1. Minnesota
    2. Iowa
    3. México

Hello my friends! we, at BRS are getting a group together to run the Med City Marathon in Rochester MN.

The marathon is on memorial weekend.

Are you game?

2. ajw1970

ajw1970 Barefooters
    1. Iowa

Sounds great! Looking forward to it.

3. Barefoot Dama

1. Minnesota
    2. Iowa
    3. México

Are you telling me that you'll be there?

4. ajw1970

ajw1970 Barefooters
    1. Iowa

That'll be my goal... I put it in my calendar. My half marathon is still my longest run as of yet. I'm working on adapting to indoor running right now.

5. Angie Bee

Angie Bee Barefooters
    1. Oregon
    2. Iowa
    3. Kansas
    4. International

This would be fun!! I will keep it in mind. Not sure if I will be running again or not but the idea is great!

6. Barefoot Dama

1. Minnesota
    2. Iowa
    3. México

Angie,I am so sorry to hear that,what's going on? are you still having heart issues?

I have been thinking of you lately and wishing you good health.

I hope you resolve whatever is going on soon and hopefuly will see you in Rochester.

Keep possitive.

John, where are you doing your running? on the mill or on an indoor track?

I very much dislike indoor running but is either that or nothing.

What are your plans for the marathon? BF or minimal?

I think you shouldstart adapting your bare feet to the mill, is not that bad really.

Go bare till you feet say--ok enough!!! and if you want to go longer then you can put some socks on.

7. ajw1970

ajw1970 Barefooters
    1. Iowa

On the mill. I was using minimal on the mill and just switched to socks this morning. Went well. I think I'm breaking the gym rules by using socks and so going bare may be pushing my luck... I may try that some day if nobody else is up in the cardio loft but that's rare. I went with black socks so as to not draw attention to what I was doing... figure anybody who noticed would assume they were aqua socks or something.

I'd plan on doing the marathon bare. I'm hoping that indoor running doesn't set me back too far from feet conditioning but I'll have a couple months to figure that out in the spring. May get some outdoor runs in here or there through the winter too... never can tell with Iowa. We have a treadmill at home I could try too but I've had problems with the belt slipping on that one before and that wreaks havok on my knee when it happens... so I avoid that like the plague.

8. taterman

taterman Guest

You should tighten the belt. It's not difficult to do, usually just an allen wrench will take care of it. If you're not comfortable with that, call for a tech to service/clean it. We had one work on ours about a year ago and it only cost us about $100. Much cheaper than knee surgery. Having a mill at home is nice because you can do what you want.

9. taterman

taterman Guest

I usually go to the Indy 500 that weekend (not an event to go to barefoot unless you really enjoy having beer/mud/whatever else on your feet).

Question for Dama, do you get blisters from the mill when barefoot? I tried it and felt like I was getting blisters from the heat so I've been socked up when on the mill.

Have fun at the marathon. If Indy falls through, I may show up.

Nate

10. ajw1970

ajw1970 Barefooters
    1. Iowa

Yep... I've done that... may need to do it again I guess as it may have loosened up more since then. I'll probably just stick with the gym for now though.

11. Barefoot Dama

1. Minnesota
    2. Iowa
    3. México

John, I agree with Nate, get your mill fixed as soon as possible so you can contron when and how far you go.

Nate, I've never gotten blisters when running in the mill and I have ran very long distances on it. In fact I have gotten only one blister and it was when I ran Des Moines in socks and I atribute that to the sock getting wet when going thru the water stations and the friction from the wet socks give me that blister.

You should continue to run BF like you're doing, when your feet feel uncomfortable then put socks on.

Your feet will adapt, just like anything else.

Good luck and have fun at the Indy 500 miles race ;-).