Date Reviewed: 11/22/2010
Review Type: Race
Barefoot Friendliness: 3 Average

418 E. 2nd Street
Tulsa, OK
See map: Google Maps

Picture:
pub_run_004.jpg

The McNellie's Pub Run was held on Saturday afternoon (which really helps with the festive, beer swilling atmosphere). There is a 1 mile fun run, a 4 mile timed run, and the 4 mile run with the "Guiness Challenge" tacked on. The Guiness Challenge requires that you drink a 12oz Guiness every mile.

The run starts in the Blue Dome District, in Downtown Tulsa. It winds through downtown, and ends up about 1 block from where it started. The beginning is in front of the Fleet Feet store, and the ending is in front of McNellie's Pub.

There were three barefoot runners (out of 1500 total runners). They were Barefoot Metalman & sloPanda from the Wichita, Kansas area and myself. We saw a couple of other people in VFFs, and one guy running in huaraches. Metalman chose to do the Guiness Challenge, but sloPanda and myself chose the "run 4 miles as fast as you can, then drink beer at the end" option.

The weather was fantastic! In Oklahoma (in November) you never know just what kind of weather you are in for, but this year it was perfect! It was the first time I have met with other bf runners before and after the race. Pretty cool!

Some of the streets in downtown are rather "textured". Metalman & I were going to give the run lower marks because of that, but sloPanda didn't think they were that bad. So we averaged it out to a three.

But the layout of the course, the volunteers, and the beer were all fine. There weren't any large areas of rocks or gravel, just the old asphalt. We all had fun running and had more fun after the race standing around talking "barefoot".

All in all, a good day.
smile.png