[May 4, 2014] 2014 International Barefoot Running Day (Connecticut) -... (Collinsville, CT)

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Barefoot TJ, Apr 24, 2014.

2014 International Barefoot Running Day (Connecticut) -...
Start Date: May 4, 2014 12:00 PM
End Date: May 4, 2014 02:00 PM
Time Zone: America/New_York -04:00 EDT

41 Bridge Street (Route 179)
Collinsville, CT 06022

Posted By: Barefoot TJ

Confirmed Attendees: 0
This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
  1. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

2014 International Barefoot Running Day (Connecticut)
    Sunday, May 4, 12:00 p.m.

BRS Chapter Name or Other Entity: BRS CONNECTICUT
    Name (First, Last): JEFF DILL
    BRS Screen Name: JEFF CT
    Contact Email: dilljeffrey@yahoo.com
    Event Country or U.S. State: CONNECTICUT
    Event City/Township: CANTON
    Address & Location of Meeting Point: Collinsville Canoe and Kayak, 41 Bridge Street (Route 179), Collinsville, CT 06022
    Meeting Time: 12:00 Noon
    What distance will you be hosting?: 5 Km
    If you selected "other" distance above please enter the distance:
    Is the meeting part of another event?: No
    Name of Other Event (if "yes" above):
    URL of Other Event (if "yes" above):
    Other Information: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/400026726; free parking in the immediate area (don't park at the Canoe and Kayak, please); flexible route-1K to 10K available; route does cross roads, but is a paved rails to trails route with several sections of grass as an option.

2. JEFF CT

JEFF CT Chapter Presidents
    1. Connecticut
    2. Massachusetts
    3. Presidents

Well. IBRD came and went. I brought my kids to the meetup spot. Had them take some photos of me and my bare feet and eventually packed it in. This has been my first completed year of running around barefoot and there were some good things I thought of, just a little too late.

(1) wrong focus. I started my plans around trying to get some barefoot runners together. CT isn't the biggest state but asking people to drive an hour to meetup and then an hour home is not ideal for the weekend. NEXT TIME... I would invite the experienced barefooters still, but focus on trying to get some local-ish newbies together.
    (2) advertise! In New England, we get snow. I went out for a long awaited barefoot run mid March. Went out with ice on the ground in one small area, but it was enough to cause blisters. This pushed back my next barefoot run by 2 weeks. But I was racing a 10k BF but April. This was a great opportunity to advertise! As would some Shamrock races! People are just waking up to running again that time of year. I'd plan to advertise with a t-shirt, business cards and a couple fliers - maybe at the library and definitely at the health food store! I could also have an inexpensive lawn sign printed up and stick it next to a couple running trails.
    (3) distance. I was shooting for a bunch of people to do a 5k barefoot, because to me that is easy. But my focus should have been on a meetup, some handouts maybe, but definitely a brief talk on Why barefoot and How. Distance of 1k with part of that on grass might have been best.

This could be a great chance to grow the BF community, it just didn't work out for 2014. I'd love to also host a BF 5k, but that would require a bit more planning and demand.

paulbeales likes this.
  3. paulbeales

paulbeales Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Hi Jeff,

Glad to hear you are still trying your best. We do know from experience how difficult it is to get people together in one place at one time.

FYI - I tried to organise a 10K this year, but I only had a very small number of people interested. A couple of people have told me since that 10K is just too far for most people in bare feet. (Note I said most. I know there are people in the club that think 10K a doddle)

5K is also quite a distance for newbies. I am trying to get as many barefooters as possible to do their local parkrun on Aug 9th this year to support one girl who has been working up to a barefoot 5K for many months and is still nervous about doing it.

I attended a meetup last weekend which was billed as a 5K fun run. There was a turnout of about 16 people. Admittedly there was a supplier of interesting chain mail running shoes there as an added attraction, but I thought the interesting part was that they ran for 1 to 2K and came back, had a chat, ran again, had another chat, ran again in a different direction etc. It was a really good friendly day. No pressure to run far or run fast. No-one left behind. People stopped to chat (and jump in the lake!) and everyone made new friends

Maybe you could try something like this Jeff?

Don't give up. Anything you can do to keep your chapter alive will be great.