[May 3, 2015] IBRD™ Phoenix Arizona Chapter Fun Run (Tempe, Arizona)

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Ken Hopes, Apr 13, 2015.

IBRD™ Phoenix Arizona Chapter Fun Run
Start Date: May 3, 2015 07:00 AM
End Date: May 3, 2015 09:00 AM
Time Zone: America/Phoenix -07:00 MST

Tempe Town Lake, Parking lot under freeway overpass south of Marquee Theatre
730 N. Mill Avenue
Tempe, Arizona

Posted By: Ken Hopes

Confirmed Attendees: 1
This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
The following users have RSVP'd "Yes": 1
  1. Ken Hopes

Ken Hopes Chapter Presidents
    1. Arizona -...

Sunday, May 3rd is International Barefoot Running Day™ (IBRD™). Many Barefoot Runners Society chapters traditionally stage some kind of celebratory barefoot running event on this day. Yesterday evening I ran barefoot 4.6 miles around Tempe Town Lake. I found the run very enjoyable, and access and parking easy, so I’ve decided to schedule an informal IBRD group run there at 7:00 am. I suggest that we head over to a nearby restaurant after the run.

This is not a timed event, just a fun, social, group run that you can do either barefoot or in minimalist footwear. There are drinking fountains along the bike path and bathrooms available at Tempe Beach Park and also on the north side of the lake. The course I chose can be seen on this g-map pedometer link. It’s 4.6 miles long, not accurate to race-course standards, but measured using the g-maps online tool and my GPS watch. With the exception of a very short section after coming off the north end of the Rural Road bridge, the running surface is concrete. The concrete is in very good condition and relatively free of debris. Free parking is available near the start at a lot underneath the AZ202 freeway viaduct. Enter the lot by turning right from southbound Mill Avenue at the driveway that also serves the Marquee Theatre (730 N. Mill Ave.). After entering the driveway, the parking lot is to the left (under the freeway structure). If you’re arriving by freeway (AZ202), use Exit 6 (Priest/Center Parkway). Take Center Parkway north a short distance and turn right onto Washington Street. Then turn right onto southbound Mill Avenue, and look for the Marquee Theatre driveway on your right.

The run starts on a sidewalk that connects the south side of the parking lot to the north end of the southbound Mill Avenue Bridge. It then crosses over the bridge to the corner of Rio Salado Parkway and Mill Avenue where it enters Tempe Beach Park. The course runs through the park (past bathrooms) to the meandering bicycle path along the south bank of the lake. We’ll head east to the Rural Road Bridge, cross to the north side of the lake and head west. The we’ll turn inland and run around the back of the marina. The path will take us underneath both Mill Avenue bridges, a railroad bridge, and the Metro light rail bridge, before connecting with a pedestrian bridge at the lake’s west end. After crossing the bridge we’ll make a left turn on the plaza in front of the Tempe Center for the Arts, head back toward Tempe Beach Park, then take the Mill Avenue Bridge back to the parking lot where we started.

After the run we can decide where to go in the area to eat. Please consider wearing a BRS shirt to wherever we decide to eat.

Please RSVP to Ken at khopes@cox.net.

Barefoot TJ and paulbeales like this.