Made My Own Custom Minimal Shoes

1babystep

Barefooters
Mar 30, 2011
Undecided on where to start in the way of a minimal shoe, decided to give a go at making my own. I'm very pleased with the first pair, and plan on making a second pair. "If" I can learn how to post pictures here, I'll do a step by step.

Until then, here is what I made them from:

Pair of injinji toe socks $12.00

Pair of oversized generic insoles that a local running store gave me for free.

Tube of Amazing E-600 contact cement $4.00

Truck inner-tube (like what you use to float down the river) $10.00 (enough to make about 5 pairs)

Wearing the toe socks, put a coat of the E-600 on the bottom of the socks. Next, I put a coat of the adhesive on the insoles. After a few minutes to let the cement partially cure, placed my feet into the insoles and stood up to let my body weight compress the insoles to the socks and mold them to my feet. After about 20 minutes or so, carefully slid off the socks/insoles to finish setting up. The next day, I layed out the rubber inner-tube (after cutting it into strips) and glued the rubber to insoles using the same process as the sock/insole gluing. Waiting another day, took a pair of sissors to trim away all the excess material.

I only have logged about 20 miles in them. So far, they are very comfortable. I have no clue how many miles I'll get out of these. Mostly run barefoot so I'll probably use these just for lomger runs and races...

Tom

no pictures!!!?!?! COME ON!!!

no pictures!!!?!?! COME ON!!! haha

(i can help with the picture posting if you want it)

they sound awesome, and pretty cheap. good job!

totally agree.  pictures

totally agree. pictures please! but one question. do you need the sole under the socks? or could you have made your shoes w/ just the injin socks?

either way, great work! s/s.

Yes,  AA has become a real

Yes, AA has become a real picture insert expert. ;-)

Have you thought about what you will call these here (or them there) minshoes?

shawshank- Don't know if the

shawshank- Don't know if the insole is absolutely necessary. I utilized it more as a starting platform. This was an experiment. On my next I pair am planing to leave off the the insole and laminate just the rubber to the sock. This will give me both a pair of minimal and minimal minimal shoes...

Now that's a marketable name

Now that's a marketable name right there! I'd go with that.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test