LTC Rex Hall Returns

I had the privilege of running at Fort McPherson with the recently-moved-away Colonel Rex Hall today. He had returned for the day in the course of his travels, and I bumped into him as he was headed toward the gym with another mutual friend of ours. He ran barefoot, and I ran in VFFs the first two miles, then ditched them for the last mile barefoot. I'm just not safely up to 3 miles bare yet.

This was my first run with another barefoot runner, and he gave me some great feedback on form and some other technique issues I've been verbally sparring at with many of my fellow BFRers here on the site. THe advice has been great, but having a live person for personalized, experienced feedback is fantastic!

That's all, folks. Just wanted to share a great experience.

He's moved to DC then

He's moved to DC then already? I sure will miss him. He's a good guy.

TJ:He actually got diverted

TJ:

He actually got diverted to Camp Shelby, MS upon nearly arriving in DC. But while he was back here, he told me how to speed up by lifting my feet for longer while leaning forward (falling) rather than lengthening my stride, which could be problematic with my worn-out hip. I tried it out today, and was able to get in 3.7 miles in my VFF KSOs at an average pace of just under 7:30/mile. Not flying, but I'm very happy with that. Now to get there barefoot. Still poking along on that front.

Will he be coming back to

Will he be coming back to Georgia at all in the future...to live or visit?

Ken Bob talks about lifting your feet just before they touch down, like as in reverse-thrusters. Is that similar to what Rex was showing you? I'm sure with this new method you're trying, you are bound to stop that heel-striking.

He was just on an official

He was just on an official visit. He'll probably make others, but I'm not in contact with him directly, I just stumbled across him on Monday by a happy accident.

That sounds like it. My speed certainly improved, and did so efficiently. And I seem to have kicked the heel-striking habit as I've gotten more certain and comfortable with my form.

That's great that you are no

That's great that you are no longer heel-striking. I'm happy for you. This barefoot running thing is great, isn't it?

So many people thought they

So many people thought they would never be fast again, but then found they were running barefoot faster than they ever were shod. We'll see.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test