Loss of a friend

rickwhitelaw

Barefooters
Apr 27, 2011
Beryl Utah
Mood is a little somber in So. Utah this week. We lost a member of our running club in a cycling accident this week. I did not know Braydon personally, but I remember him at races always smiling and encouraging others and shouting out "go barefoot dude". I wish I would have had the chance to know him better.

Please be careful out there. As barefoot runners we tend to sneak on to the white line or even into the travel lane thinking cars will avoid us. They won't, I've had a few close calls. One of the reasons I avoid traffic as much as possible.

A great blog post by my friend Cory Reese to remember Braydon. http://www.fastcory.com/2013/09/life-lessons-i-learned-from-braydon.html

So terrible one can never be too careful around trafic. Sorry

Sorry to hear about your loss Rick. Several years back a guy that I was in a cycling club with was hit and killed by a lady, who then fled the scene. It's a hard thing to deal with and is why I don't like cycling on the roads anymore. It was a real eye opener that people driving just don't pay as much attention as I had believed. Shortly after that I was nearly hit by a UPS truck that crossed over into the bike lane. Haven't ridden on the roads since after my big race I had been training up for that year, my family needs me around and people seem to be getting even more distracted while driving now a days.

Reactions: Bare Lee
In this case it was an accident. Sun was in both the biker's and driver's eyes. The thing that is bugging me, other than the heartache for his family, is that these accidents discourage people from being active. We take a risk every time we go out that door, but it is a bigger risk to be inactive. I have a hard time with death, but Cory's write up helped. I am focusing on the positive, what he brought to the running community. Even though he finished nearly last in every race, he had the most fun and the biggest smile. That is running for me and inspiration to be a better person.

death always sucks. i was almost run over by a delivery truck while riding my bike to work. guy saw me and sped up then turned right in front of me. no blinkers. just turned. if i didn't have good brakes and quick reflexes i would've wound up under his tires.

Reactions: Bare Lee
What a beautiful tribute Cory made for his friend. I scanned the blog looking at all the wonderful pictures of this man, reading the titles, then I saw that last photo...and it made me cry. I had to go back and read it all from the beginning, and I don't even know this man. It's nice to be remembered the way Braydon is being remembered. I hope we can all achieve what Braydon achieved before it's time for us to say good-bye.

Condolences. My heart goes out to the young man's family and friends.
Everytime you venture out on a bike or running on the roads you literally take your life in your hands. I have not been on line much or done any running this summer since my 20 year old daughter had a moped accident and suffered a broken left femur and lacerated her right leg so badly it required a major skin graft. A titanium rod now holds the left leg together and the skin graft is healing well. She developed the MRSA virus in hospital as well. It has been a summer of fracture clinics, rehabilitation visits to the hospital and lots of tears. I am happy to report she is now back in college in Canada and doing well. When I look at the front of the Honda Fit she hit - no windscreen and severely dented front end and her Suzuki bike that no longer resembles a bike - I say a silent thanks that she is still with us and will recover completely and more importantly never get on a bike again. I treasure the fact that the last words we said to each other that fateful June morning was "I love you." So folks always remember - those 3 words should always be the last thing said before going off on any errand/advendure/bike ride/hop scotch game as you never know what will happen.

good healing ronnie.

must've been friday or saturday night at work. i asked about a regular whom i hadn't seen in maybe a year. i was told he got married, an inheritance, and was doing great. tuesday i found out he died on sunday. liver failure. went to the hospital friday or saturday and they told him he wasn't leaving. must've been why i was thinking about him.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Thank God she will be alright now, Ronnie.

So true, take nothing for granted.