Losing a running partner

When I was in middle school I had a great running partner. He was by my side no matter how far or fast I was going. If I ran thru the woods he was right beside me. If we were on a road with lots of traffic he was on my tail tucked in safetly behind me.

There were several occassions when he would chase off vermin that wasnt welcomed (mainly skunks) and he also kept stray dogs at bay. I never felt like I was im danger with him around.

I still remember when he went shooting across the road after some other dogs that were coming up very aggressivley. They tied into it in the middle of the road when a dump truck came around the corner taking all 3 of them out.

The driver jumped out and apologized to me over and over again. I couldnt respond. I just stood there staring at the best dog I ever had lie there lifeless.

I was only about 2 miles from the house when it happened. So I scooped him up in my arms and walked back to my house with tears streaming down my face. He rests in my moms backyard now next to a few dozen other dogs that we lost over time.

I have had lots of other dogs / running partners both before and after Newt, but none of them came even remotely close to his greatness.

Reactions: Abide and migangelo
i've lost pretty much all my running buddies. do to my school. then there's me dealing with my limp.

Chase, that sucks man. i always worry about that happening to my little dude.