Long Walks with torn Paroneal Tendon with Boot on?

NotSoDoomedRunner

Barefooters
Apr 27, 2011
I am trying to stay in, or get in shape while my torn paroneal tendon gets better. Currently I am riding the stationary bike as much as possible and doing the non-jumping Insanity workouts (like yoga with planks and slow squats) while wearing the boot. My doc told me I could ride the bike but to not stand and ride it as this puts a lot of pressure on the tendon. My areas is all hills, so that takes out riding my real bike much.

Here is my question:

In the boot, can I either really slowly jog OR go on a long (3-4 hours) walk? What about elyptical?

Here is the exact wording from my MRI on 1/18/2013:

Impression:
1. Mild longitudinal tear and tendinopathy of the peroneus longus tendon.

2. Mild posterior tibial, flexor digitorum longus, flexor hallucis longus tenosynovitis.

As a follow up, my doctor said that it could be as soon as 8-12 weeks when I get the boot off and get going again, but he predicts closer to the 6 month time frame. I was surprised to read "mild" on there given this diagnosis. Does 6 months really seem likely given that it is mild?

Thanks!

I'm no doc, but having spent 3 weeks or so in a boot last year, I found walking to be particularly hard on the rest of my tendons and joints. The boot demands an altered walking gait, and my hips took a lot of the torque of uneven heights (and yes, I tried to equalize with higher rise shoes on the other foot, but the gait is still really altered because the one leg simply can't rotate like it should due to the boot). After the boot came off, it took a while for the rest of my lower body to readjust.

Reactions: Hobbit
Walking in it seems pretty easy for me. I was tired after keeping up with my wife at the mall, but she was like a shark with blood in the water since I said we could go shopping for her some new work clothes.

Reactions: scedastic and NickW
I've worn a boot once and I can't imagine going on walks that long. Just because you can do it doesn't mean it's a good thing. I've heard from both my PT and podiatrist they only use boots when necessary because it can really mess up your hips from the altered gait. My PT knows my minimalist/barefoot style and the day I told him I'd been put in a boot he said "GET IN A THICK SOLED SHOE RIGHT NOW!" He said he relatively frequently has to treat hips when someone gets out of the boot.

I wouldn't do the long walk thing. Your foot needs rest.

Jim

What I am wondering is how you tore the peroneal tendon. This is not a typical injury. Did you turn your ankle? Do you have severely overrpronated feet, perhaps more overpronated on the side of the injury?

Usually, without a mitigating circumstance, these types of injuries occur because of problems in the kinetic chain. I am willing to bet there are other issues as well, perhaps not as pressing as this tear which is requiring the wearing of the boot.

I agree that you should be careful on how you load this but once you get the boot off, perhaps you may wish to visit with a chiropractic sports physician and have your gait process evaluated. In doing so, you will likely mitigate future injuries.

What I am wondering is how you tore the peroneal tendon. This is not a typical injury. Did you turn your ankle? Do you have severely overrpronated feet, perhaps more overpronated on the side of the injury?

Usually, without a mitigating circumstance, these types of injuries occur because of problems in the kinetic chain. I am willing to bet there are other issues as well, perhaps not as pressing as this tear which is requiring the wearing of the boot.

I agree that you should be careful on how you load this but once you get the boot off, perhaps you may wish to visit with a chiropractic sports physician and have your gait process evaluated. In doing so, you will likely mitigate future injuries.

I was running a race coming down a rocky decline at almost a straight drop... a severely steep rocky hill when a person about 10 feet down from me stopped to turn around suddenly. When I tried to stop myself, my left foot rolled so that I skid down ten feet on the ball of my ankle with all my weight. I then raced 12 more miles on the same type of terrain, barely able to walk. I was wearing thicker trail shoes than usual so my balance was not as great as if I had stuck to something thinner.

Boot is evil. Do not walk too much in the boot. It can make you all wonky and imbalanced. As long as you've had an issue now, I'd recommend you take the rest and start rebuilding once you're whole again.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts