Long runs and the anaerobic threshold

According to my all mighty and all knowing Garmin I burn around 145 calories per mile on average, regardless of pace. My average pace is around 10:00 MM, or 6 mph.
How big are you Chaser?
I'm intrigued because I seem to burn around 85 Calories a mile at my monthly average of 8.20 pace - I'm 5' 8" and 148 lbs.
My longest run this month (23.5 miles) had me at a 9.37 pace for 3:45 hours, AHR of 120 and a total consumption of 1931 calories (according to my Polar HRM)
My fastest run was 3.58 miles in 22:50 min (6.23 pace), AHR of 159 and 321 calories.

Im hefty compared to you... lol. 5'9.2567983" and currently around 195 pounds. At my lightest I was 180ish. I need to get to 170 bad...

Im 6'4'' around 185 lbs so burn around 90 cals per km ( according to my garmin thats pretty constant regardless of speed, ie comparing a fast marathon to an ultra )

My last race was a 73km ( a tad short of 50 miles ) trail run with a moderate amount of elevation change (+1700m/-1200m). During the race i had a total calorie burn of around 6427cal

In that race i consumed 7 gel packets, lets call that 800 cal's. 2hrs Prior to the race i had a reasonable breakfast, around 500 cals, and was pretty much fully loaded in terms of glycogen ( btw the body typically stores 1800-2200 cals of glycogen ) So my total calories available from glycogen were ~3500 give or take. Which means 3000 or something there abouts must have been supplied from fat metabolism.

As for the actual race, during the race i didnt feel as though i crashed, in fact i got continually faster and finished in a pretty decent time, top 5% from a field of 2500+

The reason i suggest ensuring calorie consumption matches absorbtion rate is because of how nasty it would have been if i had tried to consume an additional 3000 calories during that run... actually if i tried that im not sure id have finished it. I am reasonably certain that i can absorb more calories per hour than i took... id suggest probably double that, but i ran into transportation issues, namely i just couldnt fit any more gel packets into my pocket and didnt want to cary any excess baggage. I was also wary about using the slower to absorb solid foods available at the food stations, for such a short venture.

would i have been able to run faster if i had been able to take more gel with me? ... perhapes i could have, maybe have been able to push a bit harder on the flat sections, maybe my power hiking on the hills would have had a bit more zing...will be interesting to experiment with on future races.

Great Article Jason, At the begining i though it was going to be one of those 'You dont need to do ANY Aerobic work, just High Intensity Training' sermons. But it presents a well belanced summary. In my interpretation its not saying you should not do LSD, its also not saying you should just do intervals, its saying do both.

"I have found the bigger the base, the faster I am able to go in my speed sessions and the better racing season I can have," says Erholtz. "Once the endurance is there, begin to add some variety in the form of speed." My interpretation of what he is saying, is build an aerobic/endurance base, then sharpen with more varied workouts heading into the race season... exactly what i do.

"A study published last year in the British Journal of Sports Medicine compared the effects of long, slow distance training to high-intensity interval training. One group was prescribed six intervals of two minutes each to complete three times a week, while the other group did 60 minutes of slow, continuous running five days a week. After six weeks, the results were conclusive: the interval-trained group showed significantly more improvement in VO2max, despite the fact that they ran fewer days."

Ofcourse a study like this will show that the group doing the intervals improved the most, Anaerobic condition responds quickly to training. When i only have 6 weeks to my next 'A' race then my training also switches to concentrating on Anaerobic improvment. However for an 'A' race i usually have at least a 4 month buildup, for Boston this year i started in Nov. Saying that this study shows that Interval training is more effective than LSD (btw, can hardly call 60 mins LSD) is misrepresenting the situation, all it shows is that Intervals will give the most improvement over a 6 week period.

FWIW its just as easy to perform studies that show that LSD is more effective than Intervals.... and there are im sure hundreds of studies that do just that, and they are equally misquoted and missrepresented in other articles.

One really good point made was that in a trail ultra you will have periods of faster running and periods of slower running (even walking) IMHO it is necessary to train at all of those different speeds, both the fast sections, and yes even the Walking.

One final note. I think it allways makes sense to know exactly what training effect your trying to achieve with each session, if the session is supposed to be developing your Aerobic base then whats the point in running fast up the next hill? however if the session is supposed to be developing the ability to switch speeds on tired legs, then running fast up the next hill at Km 40 might be just the thing.

I agree, Kiwi. Knowing why you're doing what you're doing is important. Cycling is important. Build up the endurance base with long runs, then work on building speed, then build specific skills for the course you'll be racing.

It's important to note that endurance base takes a LONG time to go away. Once you get to the point where you've run several ultras in a year, you probably don't need to revisit the aerobic endurance-building cycle again unless you take more than a year off.

so basically, this article is saying prety much the same as any other training plan I've read, anywhere.

Build a base before you start doing the faster stuff.
Periodic cycles on both a macro and micro basis work i.e. build the base in the off season, faster stuff in the racing season and the build up
Don't do exclusively LSD or intervals, once you've established your base, mix it up from session to session, but not within sessions.

Yep, I'd agree, but i'd use fartleks as part of an organised plan as well, as a deliberate act rather than just poor control of a session.

After all, a fartlek is no different really to a less structured interval session with higher intensity interspersed with either walking or jogging recoveries, or in soem cases both in the same session. In fact some of my favourite interval sessions are variable duration/distance intervals and rests, pyramids etc

Yep, I'd agree, but i'd use fartleks as part of an organised plan as well, as a deliberate act rather than just poor control of a session.

After all, a fartlek is no different really to a less structured interval session

I think of Fartlek as all play with precisely no structure. If I feel like running faster I do - but only until I've satisfied that need. Sometimes the effort is longer than others. The only constant is that there is guaranteed to be neither pattern nor theme.

So the gu's and cliff bites with water only was a success. The vanilla clif shot tastes like cake batter. It's awesome.

I got a pair of minimus's the MO10s, anyone here ever cut the rubber strap? They are a little tight in that area but other wise fit great.

So the gu's and cliff bites with water only was a success. The vanilla clif shot tastes like cake batter. It's awesome.

I got a pair of minimus's the MO10s, anyone here ever cut the rubber strap? They are a little tight in that area but other wise fit great.

I've heard of quite a few people cutting the strap with no ill effects. I'd give them a few runs, though. When I first tried them, that tightness annoyed me. Eventually it started feeling more comfortable. I think it might play an integral part in keeping the shoe anchored on the foot.

Reactions: Abide

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7