LHRT in Conjuction W/BF Running?

1babystep

Barefooters
Mar 30, 2011
Just wondering if there is anyone else out there running barefoot for the purpose of LHRT? After reading material written by Phil Mafetone/ Stu Mittleman/Hadd, wanted to spend some time exploring the benefits of this type of training for endurance. From what I understand, the hardest part is having to go "slow" enough to reap the rewards... So, since going sans shoes pretty much initially forces one to slow down, thought perhaps this would be a good match...

Thoughts, comments, concerns?

Tom

I think the low heart rate

I think the low heart rate training is a great way to get in shape. I have Phil Mafetone's newest training book...it fits very closely with the way I like to train. The slow part is based on roughly a 70 - 75% max effort which is basically just easy running to build up a running base then later add in small amounts of speedier runs at around 90% effort. I have been doing this for about 3 - 4 years...I had just gravitated to this on my own and later discovered Phil Mafetone has been advocating this for many years. Over time your slow runs wont be so slow but it could take a while...my slow runs have increased by about 2.5 - 3 min per mile over that time...LHRT isn't the only reason but for sure part of it.

The down side would be using the heart rate monitor...that may too gadgety for some but I think you can do this without one but you will have to learn body awareness. Learning body awareness and barefoot running go hand in hand and both can take awhile.

I would love to get a hold of

I would love to get a hold of Mafetones his first book-I believe it is still out print. I have seen a few on sale via Amazon, but they are going for 3-4 times the cover price... I think to get the most out this training (from everything I've read) a heart monitor is imperative. By keeping your HR within the zone and keeping track of pace would be the best way to monitor progress. I had a Garman 205 that bit the dust last year and found a 305 for song. It is still in the box though-guess it's time to break it out...

I use the 305 also for

I use the 305 also for run/bike ...it works well. Its hilly around where I live so its pretty impossible to keep heart rate exact on the ups and downs for the bigger hills. If you see that happen just do your best to slow down or speed up but dont worry if its not exact...its the average for run that matters most.

Something else I've noticed is if you spike your heartrate extra high early in the run it might take awhile to get it back down to normal...you may have to go annoying slow for way longer than you think is right...try not to spike it at the start, do a very gradual warmup to speed.

Another good indicator of your fitness: over time not only will you get faster for the same heart rate but it will also change faster...it will drop/recover faster when you slow down, you can keep track of this when you stop your run. .

I use LHRT to help build up a

I use LHRT to help build up a endurance base and also keep me going slow for long runs which should be slow to reap the full benfits. My pace is getting faster with my HR staying reasonable low. I seem to recover quicker after going up hills which is great. The 305 is my only watch so i have nothing to compare it with but I might upgrade to the newer HR strap. Less plastic so it might feel a bit more comfortable.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test