Lets Make This A BRS Event! The North Face Endurance Challenge

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by barefoottyler, May 25, 2010.

1. barefoottyler

barefoottyler Barefooters
    1. Georgia

The race consists of a 5K, 10K, Half, Full Marathon, Marathon Relay, 50K, and 50 Miler.

The 50 miler is calling me. I have only been running for 2 months. Do you think it is possible for me to train up to the point of being able to complete the 50 miles in 13 hours?

http://www2.thenorthface.com/endurancechallenge/races/2010/ga/index.html#a1

2. Jimmy Hart

Jimmy Hart Barefooters
    1. Arizona -...
    2. Texas - Dallas
    3. International

that would be a tall order my

that would be a tall order my friend. anything is possible but to get the training needed in such a short time might be pushing for a 50 miler. more so a 50 miler on technical single track trails than anything else. do you do much trail running? it's a lot tougher than just trucking it down a paved road. still i would never step on anyone's dreams. i would just say study up hard on this type of racing and go from there with the training. you never know, maybe you break the mold and get it done.

3. barefoottyler

1. Georgia

I appreciate the motivation

I appreciate the motivation and support! I figure if worst comes to worst I could do the 50K. I intend on running A LOT of trails until this race.

4. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

You want to make this a

You want to make this a Georgia Barefoot Meetup? It would be more fun to do the marathon relay, work as a team, all that. Thoughts?

5. mokaman

mokaman Chapter Presidents
    1. Georgia

From the race reports I've

From the race reports I've read about the 40 mile Ultra on the same course... its not an easy course, doesn't sound barefoot friendly either. I've considered one of the distances but not sure what kind of mileage i'd be in for above the half marathon. The 50k would be in 5 hour range for me I think maybe more...much more.

6. Warren Dickey

Warren Dickey Chapter Presidents
    1. Florida - Tampa
    2. Florida -...
    3. Florida -...

I would probably be willing

I would probably be willing to come up from Florida for that since I love trail running. The marathon relay does sound like a better idea from a team-work perspective.

It could say "TEAM BRS" on our Under Armor running shirts.:)

Semper Fi,

Warren

7. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

That would be nice,

That would be nice, Warren.

Mokie, I ran a 25K barefoot in 2:52 with four neuromas in my feet. You could definitely do a 50K in about 4 - 5 hours, no problem. And yes, I've factored into the equation trails versus road. You're just that fast!

8. barefoottyler

1. Georgia

Hmm that would be cool! Great

Hmm that would be cool! Great idea!

I am actually unsure of my ability to make this event. I work at a restaurant and that is on the one weekend of the year everyone and their mother floods to my town. Maybe I will have a better job by then.

Oh TJ, thanks for the info on the trail. I wasn't sure about its barefootability. Maybe I will save my first ultra for another day.

9. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

That would be Mokie, Tyler. 

That would be Mokie, Tyler. He knows a lot about the trails around Metro Atlanta. You will get to meet him this Monday at KB's workshop.

10. sherrhod

sherrhod Barefooters
    1. Florida -...
    2. International

I was hoping I could join

I was hoping I could join y'all and make it a Florida meet-up as well, but I will be in Germany for the whole month of October. There's no reason other Florida folks couldn't have a chapter meet-up there, though.

11. jamesjoshua1119

jamesjoshua1119 Barefooters
    1. Georgia
    2. Florida -...

Wish I could join you guys

Wish I could join you guys in October, but will more than likely be out of the country. The marathon relay sounds like a blast.