Leg length discrepancy

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
I remember reading somewhere that leg length discrepancy is "normal" to a point and that nearly everyone has this. Is this true? Have any research or links for me?

Reactions: Pawmaline
This study seems interesting:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5376249/

"1.1.1. There are basically two definitions of LLD
True leg length discrepancy (TLLD) is defined as the anatomical difference between the lengths of the two limbs between the proximal edge of the femoral head to the distal edge of the tibia which can be congenital or acquired. Congenital conditions include mild developmental abnormalities found at birth or childhood, whereas acquired conditions include trauma, fractures, orthopedic degenerative diseases and surgical disorders such as joint replacement. A systemic review evaluating the prevalence of LLD by radiographic measurements revealed that 90% of the normal population had some type of variance in bony leg length, with 20% exhibiting a difference of >9 mm.16

Functional leg length discrepancy (FLLD) is defined as a condition of asymmetrical leg length, not necessarily a result or compensation of a true bony length difference. FLLD may be caused by an alteration of lower limb mechanics, such as joint contracture, static or dynamic mechanical axis malalignment, muscle weakness or shortening. It is impossible to detect these faulty mechanics using a non-functional evaluation, such as radiography. FLLD can develop due to an abnormal motion of the hip, knee, ankle or foot in any of the three planes of motion."

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Due to a car accident when I was 13 that broke my femur and shin, fractures which were poorly treated afterwards at the hospital, I have a left leg that is 0.7 inch (1.8cm) shorter than the right. My left shin is actually longer than the right one now, but the left femur much shorter.

Over time that resulted in a very pronounced double scoliosis. But my spine and its muscles have adjusted to their beautifully crooked state, and even walking and running barefoot now isn't giving me any issues with it. Though I developed a specific health regime and a daily routine for myself to support recovery, body homeostasis and regeneration. I feel that it makes a big difference for my health in general.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barefoot TJ
This study seems interesting:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5376249/

"1.1.1. There are basically two definitions of LLD
True leg length discrepancy (TLLD) is defined as the anatomical difference between the lengths of the two limbs between the proximal edge of the femoral head to the distal edge of the tibia which can be congenital or acquired. Congenital conditions include mild developmental abnormalities found at birth or childhood, whereas acquired conditions include trauma, fractures, orthopedic degenerative diseases and surgical disorders such as joint replacement. A systemic review evaluating the prevalence of LLD by radiographic measurements revealed that 90% of the normal population had some type of variance in bony leg length, with 20% exhibiting a difference of >9 mm.16

Functional leg length discrepancy (FLLD) is defined as a condition of asymmetrical leg length, not necessarily a result or compensation of a true bony length difference. FLLD may be caused by an alteration of lower limb mechanics, such as joint contracture, static or dynamic mechanical axis malalignment, muscle weakness or shortening. It is impossible to detect these faulty mechanics using a non-functional evaluation, such as radiography. FLLD can develop due to an abnormal motion of the hip, knee, ankle or foot in any of the three planes of motion."
Thanks, Paw.

Reactions: Pawmaline

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts