Left ankle driving me nuts! Help!

Jonny00GT

Chapter Presidents
May 19, 2011
I've been having some pain/soreness in my left ankle...but it moves.
I run barefoot, always.
I took last week off after a bad run, where I just couldn't get in a groove.
My ankle felt a lot better by the 5k race on Saturday. Sunday, it was a little stiff, but loosened up and felt fine for my 11 miler, although the whole thing felt tired by about mile 9 and I didn't feel like or have time for all 13mi that were on the schedule.
After I sat for a bit, the soreness returned and the next morning, it shifted and is still bugging me today.

I had my left ACL replaced with a hamstring muscle some time ago. I found that when I started running barefoot, I would baby that side. Rather than push evenly with both legs, I would sorta roll through with my left and use my right to do all the work. My right calf was getting bigger than the left and the right arch had drawn up more. That brings us to the source of my pain.

It originally started on the instep directly under the ankle because I had adjusted my form to try and force more weight on the left arch. It's a bit flatter than the right and I thought it was pulling my hips out of alignment...anyway. When I started getting the pain, I went back to my usual form and it started to get better, then moved above the ankle in the same spot right after running or at the start of a run...and then it started to shift to the outside, about 30deg left of center where the ankle and the foot meet, above where most people have that muscle buldge. The soreness runs about half way down my foot, too and it feels like sore muscles when I rub down between the bones.

Is this just my left side compensating cause I'm making it work now or something else?

Any insight would be great!

Thanks!
-Jonny

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test