Lakeshore Miracle 10k

lmr2012-web.jpg
Lakeshore Miracle 10K
By Scedastic

My first race report, and only my second race (the first was a 5k a couple of weeks ago).

The course:
The Lakeshore Miracle Run 10k (I believe it's called miracle b/c it benefits the local children's hospital, NOT because it's a miracle if you can do it ;) )takes place near and along the eastern shores of Lake Michigan. The first mile is on a chip/seal country road, followed by a gravel road for about 0.25 mile, then the path winds through narrow, sandy, hilly trails to the beach. On the beach, the course goes north along the shore (the sand was very loose up to the water’s edge, with a steep entrance to the water, so runners were single file), to a water station, then back south, to a pair of steep dunes. After the second dune descends abruptly, the course returns to the sandy, narrow trail leading back to the gravel road, the paved road, and the finish line. It was beautiful scenery, in a heavily wooded area. The trail was lots of fun, with branches and sometimes fallen trees and logs to jump/climb over. Most of the time it was only possible to run single file.

Barefootin’:
I brought my huaraches with me just in case, but they were not needed, and it rather annoyed me to have to hold them the whole time. I did slow down for the gravel road a bit, but that wasn’t long enough to worry over. The only issue is that the exfoliating nature of the sand has left my soles soft as a baby’s bottom when I had just been getting to the point of tolerating hotter pavement when running barefoot, so my skin will likely take a while to thicken up again. Other than the free pedicure, and having to watch out for branches and rocks in the path, it was very barefoot friendly. In fact, for those poor suckers who kept their shoes on for the beach run and on the dunes, I expressed sympathy more than once when people looked miserable sloshing around in wet shoes on loose sand. Yick.

The workout:
I began the race terrified about my peroneal tendonitis being aggravated by all the uneven ground, but I felt just fine. I ran the whole course, with the exception of the last part of the steepest dune, and a water break at the beach to talk to a sweet little ~3yr old girl handing me the cup who said “nice job running.” My foot muscles definitely got a big ole workout, and I can feel it a bit the morning after, but no soreness.

I do think that this course would be especially difficult in shoes, since so much of the run was on sand, and right at the water’s edge. I saw several women who ditched their shoes for at least the beach part of the run. Splashing in the water was lots of fun.

The dunes were fine. I’ve run up dunes many times before, and as part of workouts years ago when I lived closer to the lake. When I take my kids to the lake shore now, we always go to state parks with big dunes and race to the top as many times as they will tolerate it. The reward is the flying-run down and splash into the cold water of the lake.

Being more used to dunes may not have given me an advantage in technique, but I think it might have helped psychologically, since I knew what I was in for. Some appeared a bit more overwhelmed by the idea.

All in all, it was a blast. I’ve never done group runs before this summer. It’s a rush. Now I finally figured out why people sign up. Though I don’t get competitive (I’m too slow for that), I do like seeing people out there running. My goals for this race were to enjoy the scenery (check!), NOT reinjure my peroneal tendon or get overwhelmed by the heat(check!), NOT to finish absolute last after everyone else is gone (check!), and to have fun (check!).

I ran nearly the entire time, even when in the water, but at a relaxed pace, enough that I could chat with those around me (to their annoyance? Dunno, some folks looked really serious, and most people at the starting line looked pretty fit to me), and I managed to do about an average time overall (6th place in my age group---but keep in mind, the times for this 10k were abominable, due to the challenging course). Nevertheless, I finished with energy to spare, which was a bonus.

I will definitely try to run this again next year. Road races don’t get me all excited, but this was fun, different, and full of beautiful scenery.

Nice write up...sounds like a great Michigan 10k
Dunes can be hugely demoralizing if you are not psychologically prepared....so it looks like you had an advantage there.
I bet your feet are a bit tired from running those dunes....it is amazing how sand can wake up certain parts of the feet even in the most seasoned athletes :)
It's nice to see that there are other BF runners in the state!!

Thanks for sharing:barefoot:

Hi TJ,
it sounds like your feet are getting better after your operation. The soft sand should give them a good massage. I remember when I first ran on sand at the beginning of my barefoot journey, I think I actually got blisters and it felt like I'd rubbed 10 layers of skin off. This would have been because I had no idea how to run correctly but was running similar to how I did in shoes.
This morning I ran 22km on sand and road and my feet hardly even noticed it, I'm feeling more like Forest Gump every day.
Great race report and good to hear you enjoyed it.

Thank you, Neil, except this is Scedastic's report. I wish I could say I ran a 10K...again. The software doesn't allow me to choose the author's avatar when creating an article or post on behalf of someone else, so instead, I add the author's name to the By line.

I bought an ultrasound unit, but I have no patience running that thing over the bottoms of my feet as slow as I can go for a half an hour each at a time. I've heard some say it works and some say it doesn't. Instead, I have been seeing a lady from Thailand twice a week to break up the scar tissue. I think it's helping, but with the medication I take for this, its' hard to tell which is doing the trick, if either of them really are. I believe with her help, the pads are a lot more subtle and soft. Either way, I can stay on my feet for a bit longer than before her help, but my toes don't go numb as often just minutes after standing, my toes don't fire through the night as often as they used too, but then again, my meds dosage has gone up too. Thanks for asking about me, Neil.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts