Kysymys suomalaisille

BarefootPeter

Barefooters
Aug 28, 2019
I have a question for you Finns out there: I may have an opportunity to relocate to Oulu in a couple months. How's full-time barefooting perceived over there?

I've been there many times on business trips, but never stayed long enough to experience more than the odd looks. Mostly people didn't seem to care much, but I can't really tell whether they were grossed out but too polite to say anything, or whether I was truly ignored and accepted as I was. It's sometimes hard to read what people really think in Finland :)

Anyhow, if anybody's in the area and wants to meet up for a drink, I'll be there next week.

Kiitos paljon etukäteen!

Last edited:
Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Welcome, Peter!

Hello Peter, and welcome to Finland! I can't of course talk for everybody, but I think for most of the people it's quite OK. Odd looks every now and then is guaranteed, but don't let that bother you; deep down majority of Finnish people are pretty open-minded. And we tend to mind our own business mostly :)

I suppose some restaurants, or even shops, might have only-in-shoes policy, but I don't really know as I a) live in East Finland (Joensuu) and b) wear shoes most of the time (I just run barefoot).

Winter time can be challenging as there will be snow, ice and pretty cold weather... Anyway, I hope you enjoy your time in Finland! Once again, welcome!

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Thanks.

Glad to hear Finns are open-minded. I mean, I already knew they were, just wasn't too sure about their attitude towards barefooters specifically.

As for Finnish winters, I know what they're like. I used to go to Oulu 6 or 7 times a years, and I did that for a number of years. Down to -5, I'll go out barefoot (the colder it gets, the less I stay out obviously). Down to -15, I'm happy enough with one to three layers of thick woolen socks and sandals. Below -15, I dig out the snow boots.

I always enjoy my time in Finland :) That's kind of why I want to move there, and why I've been learning the language for the past 4 years (not too easy here in Belgium, but I'm getting there...)

Did the police find you suspicious? Like you were running away from something?

I was never bothered by anyone either really. But there's a difference between people being polite, and people truly not caring about someone going about unshod like here in Belgium. From what you're telling me, there's every chance that the Finns too are genuinely laid back about the whole business. Good!

I flew to and landed in Oulu yesterday, checked myself into the hotel, and this morning went to my first day of job interview at my prospective future employer, all of it barefoot. Then I went do some shopping downtown - not that I needed anything other than booze to bring back home at Alko, but I wanted to study people's reactions carefully. Now I'm outside sitting at a terrasse and enjoying a beer.

I'm now fairly convinced that people here truly don't give two shits about barefooted people.

Reactions: Acorn63
I went for a 10 mile walk in the forest today, followed by more shopping downtown in the biggest (and only, to my knowledge) mall in town to buy a pair of trousers - including trying different sizes on and all - and pick up some Finnish vape flavor concentrates at the vape shop on the way. Then I came back along the beach and stopped for a brewskie at the beach bar shack.

Well, not a peep from nobody - not the other hikers, neither the folks going about their business in town, the store clerks or the bartenders. Not even odd looks or stares or anything. I'm as good as invisible here. And I thought I had it good in Belgium: Finland is even better :) I love the heck out of it.

Reactions: Acorn63

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts