knock, knock, knock Longboard. knock, knock, knock Longboard...

The Ramzev

Chapter Presidents
Jun 14, 2010
Milford, DE
I'm looking for asome advise. I'm looking to get myself a longboard (with wheels) and I'm trying to figure out the best type. I'll be using it for just cruising around, I live in a fairly flat area so hills aren't prevolant.
It looks like the drop through trucks would be a benefit due to a lower deck for a lot of kicking? Looks like these are better for turning also?
Any recommendations? I'm not looking to break the bank for my first one, maybe <$150 for a complete to get started.

Reactions: RunningPirate
Drop throughs are easier on the quads on the non-pushing leg, and are pretty common now. When we were building the family fleet they were'nt even invented yet, so I went with a few downhill boards that were low to the ground because they were shaped in a press. We did get a drop through when they first came out...my son loves it but I hate having so much hardware on top of the board because I always ride barefoot. Of the four skaters in the family we all have different favorites. I do the most long haul pushing though, and my go to board for that is my 46" Gordon & Smith Pintail with 76mm Gumballs. The normal height doesn't really bother me for longer cruising, but if you don't mind metal and bolts on the top of the deck you'll probably like the drop through better.I've tried larger diameter wheels all the way up to 101mm, and have two boards right now with large diameter Flywheels, but they take so long to spool up.
I'll leave for FL Friday for a week and unlike the old days only bring one board per person. We each will stick to riding only our favorite.
Tons of info here:
http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/forum.php

OK, admittedly, up until now, I thought Longboard was in reference to the surfboard, a la
images

Reactions: NickW
My 9' custom shaped noserider DOES rule!
One board apiece is fine for the roads, but leave any of the foam and glass fleet behind for a FL trip? NO WAY!!

Reactions: RunningPirate
NINE FEET????!!!! No way! Gotta see this! Got a picture?

My 9' custom shaped noserider DOES rule!
One board apiece is fine for the roads, but leave any of the foam and glass fleet behind for a FL trip? NO WAY!!

I took a "surfing" lesson from the Waikiki Hilton - they had me on an SUP that was slightly smaller than a garage door. I think it was something like 12' x 3'; it was impossible to dig in while paddling out, so I had to do this crippled turtle paddling motion, which really makes it hard to look cool...next time, there's a surf camp in Costa Rica that I'll be trying out.

NINE FEET????!!!! No way! Gotta see this! Got a picture?
TJ the 9 footer is a SURFboard, about as short as they get for a longboard.
My son and I DID build a ten foot skateboard though! Pretty hard to turn, but definitly a head turner.
Took the wheels off that and put them on a street luge we built, but none of us are brave enough to ride that anymore!

Ha! I was wondering...

I'm looking for asome advise. I'm looking to get myself a longboard (with wheels) and I'm trying to figure out the best type. I'll be using it for just cruising around, I live in a fairly flat area so hills aren't prevolant.
It looks like the drop through trucks would be a benefit due to a lower deck for a lot of kicking? Looks like these are better for turning also?
Any recommendations? I'm not looking to break the bank for my first one, maybe <$150 for a complete to get started.

Just don't do any of this... http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/man-faces-arrest-speeding-68mph-skateboard-234748474.html

Or, if you do, don't make a video of it :cool:

First of all, those people are driving on the wrong side of the road. Hee.

We used to do that all the time where I grew up, never at those speeds though.

First of all, those people are driving on the wrong side of the road. Hee.

We used to do that all the time where I grew up, never at those speeds though.

You'd just load your Winger tape into your Walkman and let it fly, did you? :D

I used to think other folks drove on the wrong side of the road until I left the US and realize that we're the ones driving on the wrong side of the road..

When I was young and game to try crazy stuff all we had on our boards were steel wheels with non-precision unsealed bearings. Couldn't get into too much trouble! The wheels as well as trucks were straight off of old school roller skates that used a key and strapped onto shoes. At least the invention of the skateboard freed us from the shoes! Walkman? A friend of mine had a 6 transistor radio, but he was RICH!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts