Ken Bob's Storms the Nor'east in 2013 June, and More!

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Zetti, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Barefoot Ken Bob

Barefoot Ken Bob Administrator
    1. California...

Alternative to Lansing might be something between there and Detroit?

2. Mark Wilkinson

Mark Wilkinson Barefooters
    1. Michigan

Milford has a nice park (Kensington). You could even think about the Pinckney/Hell area (where the annual trail running festival is), there are extensive trails in the area, and lots of areas that might be good for running clinics and the like. You would likely have to present outside though. If you want to go even further south you could do something in my area (Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti). Heck, I am sure you could do a presentation in the Burns Park area (http://www.burnsparkrun.org).

3. Barefoot Ken Bob

1. California...

I was thinking more along the lines of a store to host my multimedia presentation and where I could sell some books to help pay for my travel. We had a nice one in Okemos in 2010, but haven't got a reply back from them yet. My alternative would be to meet in a park near my sister's home, since that would save some travel time and gas (at least for me - and I'll already be traveling some 10,000+ miles round trip!)

4. Longboard

Longboard Chapter Presidents
    1. Michigan

Running Fit is based in Ann Arbor and has a store in West Bloomfield as well as a few other locations. They put on the Woodstock trail run event that Jason ran the Hallucination 100 barefoot and in Vibrams in a few years back, and their recent barefoot running claim to fame is that a photo of their Red Carpet Run finish line was featured in the Wall Street Journal article on barefoot treadmilling this past March. Possibly they might be interested.

5. Barefoot Ken Bob

1. California...

I've sent requests to each of the 5 stores in the area (I sent similar request last week to the 2 in Traverse City as well since I'll be up there in early July). We'll see if we get any bites.

6. Barefoot Ken Bob

1. California...

I've sent requests to each of the 5 stores in the area (I sent similar request last week to the 2 in Traverse City as well since I'll be up there in early July). We'll see if we get any bites.

7. Barefoot Ken Bob

1. California...

8. Barefoot Ken Bob

1. California...

Due to family obligations, I only have time for one stop in southern Michigan. My sister in Grand Ledge is hosting me, and we'll be visiting with family celebrating that my brother is a year older, etc.. then I need to boogie over to upstate New York and drop my wife off for 4 weeks of Yoga Teacher Training. Then after I pick her up, I will head up to Traverse for the Cherry Festival and also visiting family, before we boogie back to Southern California, via Northern Minnesota to visit another family member whom I haven't seen in more than two decades.

That's the reason I'm not making an extra stop, but with the lack of cooperation/welcome in the Lansing area, I did contact the Running Fit stores (both in Traverse City and the Detroit area)... haven't heard back from them yet either. May need some personal contact. If anyone does want to contact these or other stores for me, let me know and I can give you my mobile phone number to share with them.

9. Zetti

Zetti Barefooters
    1. Michigan

I am going to go to Playmakers today.....that is ridiculous.
    I'll see what we can get figured out.

10. Barefoot Ken Bob

1. California...

Maybe they're just not dog friendly. I do remember in 2010 Curt Munson (PlayMakers owner?/manager?)offered to keep Herman at his place during my Play-Fun-Shop (then known as "workshops"). But, there isn't any good reason that reasonably well behaved/controlled dogs shouldn't be allowed in any sporting goods store with their family - granted Herman is also known as Psycho Herman ... but that is all just his flair for the dramatic (ie: he just wants to see if he can scare some people)... but now that he is older, slower, and wiser, he realizes that he gets a lot more back scratching by being nice :)

11. Barefoot Ken Bob

1. California...

... and actually, in Michigan, I could leave Herman at my sister's in Grand Ledge, or my parents' near Traverse City ... but then, why should we be required to leave a family member at home? Especially since Herman is part of the show. He's featured in Barefoot Running Step by Step, and he generally does his amazing "roll-over" trick at my Play-Fun-Shops... and no, it is well worth your time to marvel in Herman milking what should be a very simple dog trick for 5-10 minutes!

12. Longboard

1. Michigan

I get the impression that the running stores don't really like promoting the barefoot message even in conjunction with minimalism. Sure, most attendants will opt for a new pair of Vibrams or other "barefoot" shoes rather than stick with skin to the ground true barefoot after listening to the presentation, but the possibility of customers ditching shoes for good probably scares them!
    Running Fit was thrilled that the photo from their finish line including their logo made not only the Wall Street Journal U.S. paper and digital editions but the European and Asian editions as well, but look at the message it sent......all you need to successfully run a race is a pair of non-athletic shorts...and nothing else! I'm sure they weren't too excited about THAT message.

13. Mark Wilkinson

Mark Wilkinson Barefooters
    1. Michigan

What about REI? Just a thought. They may not show the bias, and the barefoot crowd and the REI crowd intersect quite a bit. :)

Longboard likes this.
  14. Longboard

1. Michigan

Good idea Mark, REI also became officially barefoot friendly store wide a few years ago.

15. Zetti

Zetti Barefooters
    1. Michigan

some places may require women to wear something up top :p

Yeah...I'm not too sure about Playmakers now :(
    They have always been really cool about me being barefoot in their store....but then again I guess they see me as a customer...
    They closed earlier than I thought today....I'm going to swing by on Sunday with my wife though.

That would be unfortunate...I'll try to get to the bottom of this so at least we can get a definitive answer.
    I would have no problem going to the Detroit area if Playmakers bows out.

I do remember REI's official acceptance of bare feet in their stores....and I have had good experiences with running fit as well.

16. Barefoot Ken Bob

1. California...

Keep in mind, that my presentation also covers minimalist footwear (any footwear for that matter). It's mostly about technique, and of course, using barefooting as a tool to help learn - just as a blindfolded dart thrower might practice without the blindfold at least occasionally. Otherwise, how would he/she know which way to face to hit the target?

How to Run and Walk Forward without Breaking your Feet or other Body Parts –
    EVEN in “Barefoot Shoes”
    by: Barefoot Ken Bob Saxton

17. Barefoot Ken Bob

1. California...

More people discovering they are able to run without injury or pain, with or without shoes, is always good business for running stores!

(Hey, I think I'll include THAT in the introduction to my presentation :)

Zetti likes this.
  18. Longboard

1. Michigan

44 degrees F at high noon here in Detroit this Mother's Day, with very strong northerly winds and clouds. It just started raining as well.
    I can't believe you left all this behind for Huntington Beach!

Zetti likes this.
  19. Barefoot Ken Bob

1. California...

So, at this point I'm thinking of meeting up at Jaycee Park on River Street in Grand Ledge (near my sister's home) for a Play-Fun-Shop with a raffle - no fancy presentation and no book sales - but I can still auto-foot-print-graph copies you buy before I get there. And there's a running trail along the river.

The question is, will anyone else be able to make it on May 29 Wednesday at, let's say 7:00 PM?

Alternatively, you could all head up toward Traverse City for an event on July 3rd (or if you like we could do an event late morning on the 4th, before the fireworks)?

This is getting pretty close, and I need to know if it's going to be worth my time to hold an event near mid-Michigan?

20. Longboard

1. Michigan

Can't make any Wednesday unless it's after 7:00 and close to Detroit. I was the last guy to pull into Hines Drive three years ago but it was well worth it!
    Spending the Fourth around our home area as well.