Keep This in Mind When Listening to Podiatrist's Opinion

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
Reactions: Sid
Should work now Chris

So what I got out of this is that 84.29% of podiatrists surveyed believe that 100% of humans have been born with defective feet. I can't imagine what people did before the profession was invented.....way back in the 1960's!
I was actually a middle schooler before the profession was even created!

I liked Chris's response. Invalid URL! :asshat:

Checked out the highlights of their upcoming issue - there'll be an article about what we can learn from Thomas Edison, the prolific inventor. Ugh :p

The whole rag seems to be about nothing more than marketing and increasing profits in the pod practice.

You can't conclude that 84.29% of podiatrists believe we were born with defective feet.

All you can say is that 84.29% of "podiatrists" asked in this survey "don't recommend barefoot running".

Reactions: NickW
My guess is they don't know anything about it, haven't done any research and their answers were what they thought their colleagues wanted to hear. Barefooting is still way out of the mainstream. When I mentioned to my chiropractor that I was working toward minimal running several years ago, she was quite taken aback. Her immediate response was that the cushioning in running shoes is important, and that minimal shoes send more shock through the knees, etc.(!) I explained my view and she quickly moderated her stance. This really surprised me since chiropractors usually believe in the body's ability to heal itself. This also showed me that she had never given the idea any thought.

Reactions: happysongbird
You can't conclude that 84.29% of podiatrists believe we were born with defective feet.

All you can say is that 84.29% of "podiatrists" asked in this survey "don't recommend barefoot running".
You are absolutely correct. They might fully accept the idea of barefoot locomotion as the way to go, but also think that the act of running wastes too many heartbeats from one's alloted lifetime total max.

My guess is they don't know anything about it, haven't done any research and their answers were what they thought their colleagues wanted to hear.

That's probably true for a few of them but podiatrists as a group are well-aware of what we do. And they don't like it (because it cuts into from their revenues?).

Except, most of them probably equate barefoot running with minimal shoes, which we know aren't the same thing. And, they do love to sell those orthotics, which don't stay in place well on bare feet ;)

I hate stats and I hate that I understood exactly what your saying... My stats 243 teacher would be so proud... :facepalm:

That's probably true for a few of them but podiatrists as a group are well-aware of what we do. And they don't like it (because it cuts into from their revenues?).
No, really. It's ignorance. Docs used to think that tv caused myopia. Recent research shows that it's lack of sunlight which decreases dopamine in the eye, since kids spend so much time indoors now. Other examples abound.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts