[Jun 14, 2014] Glow Worm Trail Run (New South Wales)

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Neil_D, Apr 18, 2014.

Glow Worm Trail Run
Start Date: Jun 14, 2014 08:00 AM
End Date: Jun 14, 2014 09:00 AM
Time Zone: Australia/Sydney +10:00 AEST

Newnes
New South Wales 2330

Posted By: Neil_D

Confirmed Attendees: 1
This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
The following users have RSVP'd "Yes": 1
The following users have RSVP'd "No":
  1. George Carter

George Carter Barefooters
    1. Australia

Thanks guys :blackeye:

2. Spiderweb62

Spiderweb62 Barefooters
    1. Germany &...
    2. Australia
    3. France

Kali, it looks like you'll be alone on that one !

At the Botany trail, I woken an old groin injury, and while I can still run, I don't think I'd be ready for a 21km trail...It's a bit too far for me

3. kalipyjamas

kalipyjamas Barefooters
    1. Australia
    2. United Kingdom

:(
    Manuwi......? o_O

4. Neil_D

Neil_D Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Hi Kal,
    I know what it's like to find your team crumbling around you. I did a MovNat course today and of the people that said they were going to come down I was the only one to turn up. It was still good though.
    I hope some will come out of the woodwork. I'll post it on the Facebook site as well.

paulbeales likes this.
  5. Manuwi

Manuwi Barefooters
    1. Australia

I'm super keen. Got a pair of breath trails by vivobarefoot. Did the dural road trail a fee times in them and the kicked arse. I'll try to get a photo below. My wife, kids and I are all doing the 6km on Saturday then sleeping the night (brrrr) before I hit up the full on Sunday. Geeeeeeeeeze I'm pumped.
    Is it just you and I now kali?
    BTW. File is too big to post and I'm too incompetent to reduce the file size.

kalipyjamas and Spiderweb62 like this.
  6. kalipyjamas

kalipyjamas Barefooters
    1. Australia
    2. United Kingdom

Yowzers you brave campers!!!!!
    Yup I shall be there, with Geordie in Lunas and also 3 shod runners :)
    We might see you Saturday, as we are all entered into the half.......but driving down that morning, no canvas for these lightweights :)

paulbeales and Spiderweb62 like this.
  7. paulbeales

paulbeales Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Good luck Kali et al!

8. kalipyjamas

kalipyjamas Barefooters
    1. Australia
    2. United Kingdom

hmmmmmm okaaaay then

9. kalipyjamas

kalipyjamas Barefooters
    1. Australia
    2. United Kingdom

Untitled.jpg

10. Manuwi

Manuwi Barefooters
    1. Australia

Chance of rain. So a chance of sun too! I'll take those odds. I'll cheer you on in the half. If you're sticking round for dinner I'll buy you a drink! See you tomorrow.

kalipyjamas likes this.
  11. kalipyjamas

kalipyjamas Barefooters
    1. Australia
    2. United Kingdom

Spiderweb62 likes this.
  12. kalipyjamas

kalipyjamas Barefooters
    1. Australia
    2. United Kingdom

I'm ALIVE!!!!!!!:barefoot:
    WOW WOW WOW
    Isn't it always the way, that sometimes we fail to realise what is right under our noses? Having lived in this area for nearly a decade I had no idea that such a stunning place as the Wolgan Valley existed just a few hours down the road!
    So.......Glow Worm Tunnel Trail Half Marathon........
    Well, the weather forecast was going down hill all week leading up to the event so I had to cram my pack full with all the mandatory bad weather gear ...... it started raining Friday night, so hard it woke me up and I lay listening to the rain on the roof with a sinking feeling. Alarm clock was set to 3.50 am, as we had arranged to all go in one car and wanted to leave by 5am so I needed to leave my place by 4.30. Rude time of day to wake up.
    It was still wet and windy when I woke up but I double checked the radar and it really did look like it might be clearing.
    Was a 2.5 hr drive to Newnes in some fairly wild weather....luckily when Emirates put in the luxury Wolgan Valley Resort they tarred the road to their front gate so it was only the last section that we had to negotiate on slippy wet dirt.
    The place was abuzz with campers who had spent the night and we wasted no time in picking up our bibs etc and then standing by a huge fire pit...there were lots of heaters in the tented areas which was most appreciated it was SO COLD!!!
    Organisers announced that we would only needed basic gear plus rain coats so that lightened the load a bit.
    The start just crept up and suddenly we were off. I was wearing Sockwas, which I had put on to keep my feet warm......but as we took off and I saw the leaders plunge into the knee deep river crossing it seemed a bit silly to keep them on, so apart from the first few hundred metres, I ran the whole thing barefoot. The drizzle had stopped and it was only another kilometre before I was peeling off layers and actually cursing myself for having worn tights and not a skirt as the temp in the forest was fairly close.
    Anyhoooo........I ran with my friend G for the first 5kms and then told her to take off and make up some time ( she is a serious sandal wearing ultra runner there was NO WAY I was going to keep up with her cracking pace o_O)
    After the river crossing we ran along the side of the river which was a lovely mix of mud, dirt, tree roots and damp forest debris. The trail was an old railway line and the incline was so gradual it didn't really register. We climbed around the edge of a huge hill and got some beautiful views back out over the valley, but nearly 100% of the run was in the forest with tree cover which was fabulous. As we began to head deeper into the rocks the foliage changed to rainforest.
    I have to apologise for the crappy photos they simply do not do the place justice - in my defense the pack was quite tight in the first half and the track so narrow that I was trying to minimise stopping and holding up those behind me so they are a tad blurry ;)
    Had a lovely chat with a chap who was running for Soldier On and quite a few genuinely interested folk cam e and ran with me to ask questions about barefooting which was great.
    HOWEVER ....... my feet were sooooo cold it took ages to warm them up enough to get good ground feel and in hindsight that was my undoing. The first 10km took us through creek beds, up and down muddy stairs, climbing over rocks and branches.....it was definitely a "hands on" course . I was loving the feeling of the squishy mud between my toes and getting fairly good purchase on the slippery surfaces, although a few times the mud became so claybased that it was touch and go if I was going to stay upright!!
    We finally reached the tunnel itself - it felt like we were on a movie set or something it was almost surreal to think that a train had once run through here. It was pitch black inside and you couldn't see the end. There was a lot of water on the floor of the tunnel and I tried to keep to the higher dry ledge. It was hard going because everyone was waving their torches around and it played havoc with my eyes. A few times I began to worry that there was a chance i could really hurt myself in here, but thankfully my tootsies gave me the info I needed to take the right steps and make it through in one piece.
    BUT.
    A BIG BUT.
    The water in the tunnel made them freezing cold again, and this time I really struggled to get them to warm up. BAD MOVE KALI.
    There was a steep scramble up the "Pagoda Track" and then we began the 10km mainly downhill return . The track became fire trail for a little bit, but it was very doable and mild compared to the ones here at home, so I began to get fairly confident that I would be able to finish barefoot. Running down hill was more challenging than usual because it was soooo slippy but I still managed to keep up a fairly good pace.
    BUT I STILL COULDN"T REALLY FEEL MY FEET.......o_O
    I had the "BEND ZEEEE KNEES" mantra running through my head, but a fair few times I would scuff the bottom of my foot across the top of a rock, and I stubbed my toe twice ( more on that later)
    So now it goes more like "BEND ZEEEEEE KNEES..........AND LIFT YOUR BLOODY FEET UP WOMAN!!!!"
    Thankfully after what seemed like hours of running downhill on mud and gravel the path became single track forest trail again. ( We had in fact rejoined the river path to return to the start / finish line but thanks to my nonexistant sense of direction I didn't realise this until I heard the cheering from across the river :D)
    After we hit the river track again I became aware that the balls of my feet were........tingly? sore? itchy? burning? I don't really know. It certainly wasn't enough to make me want to stop running, but I did wonder if I had trodden on a cat head, or maybe sustained a teeny cut or something. My feet were covered in mud and still cold so I wasn't bothered that it would stop me finishing.
    Another plunge through the river and then back up the dirt road to the finish.
    By this time it had turned into a marvellous day. The atmosphere was terrific and I quickly got my feet into nice wooly socks and warm boots and then headed off to find a chai and hot chips .
    From past experience I have had that "sensitive tingly feet" feeling after a long run, that you don't really become aware of until you stop for a spell, and then start again, so it wasn't until I got home that afternoon, and as I took off my socks thought euwwww my left foot still feels really damp.
    Hmmmmmm.
    That would have been the blood from the toenail I had snapped in half and ripped off.
    And the tingle?
    I guess a blister the size of a 50c piece would feel like that. One under my left big toe and one under my right ball.
    The toenail didn't bother me but I was soooooo pissed off about the blisters....how could I have let that happen???? GRRRRRRRR
    But hoorah as well. My feet had been cold, wet and muddy the entire distance. But I finished. And I finished smiling and loving every minute it of it. In all honesty, in dry weather, I don't think you could find a better barefoot course. It was spectacular terrain, constantly changing, sometimes challenging but definitely not uncomfortable.
    In fact I can't wait to go back and run it again.
    When the weather dries up.
    And my blisters heel.
    :p

Here are the pics. You need to go see this place in person. Jurassic! june 2015 006.JPG june 2015 007.JPG june 2015 008.JPG june 2015 009.JPG june 2015 010.JPG june 2015 011.JPG june 2015 012.JPG june 2015 013.JPG june 2015 016.JPG june 2015 018.JPG june 2015 020.JPG june 2015 021.JPG

Unfortunately I completely missed Manuwi. Not helped by the fact I had no idea what he looked like or what his name is. (such are the perils of hooking up with complete strangers you meet over the internet ;) ) Hats off though, he was doing the full marathon course the next day, the second half of which was the course that I had run, the first half being quite the most ridiculously hard gradients I have ever seen it would have been a tremendous effort so big barefoot running love to Manuwi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh, and I shouldn't forget this pic :vomit:
    1402726321794 (2).jpg

13. paulbeales

paulbeales Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Well done Kali :)

kalipyjamas likes this.
  14. Neil_D

Neil_D Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Well done Kal,
    I hope the morning temperatures were a bit warmer than the 4C that was indicated on that forecast. I can see why you had no feeling in your feet. It is so hard to get the right feedback when you are getting no signals from your soles.
    I'm getting better in the cold weather but I still don't like running below 10C.
    You should have showed us the gruesome blisters ;).
    You did well to keep your balance, running over muddy surfaces makes me very wary, similar to running over those smooth paving stones in the wet.
    What distance did you run, was it the half marathon?

Neil

kalipyjamas likes this.
  15. kalipyjamas

kalipyjamas Barefooters
    1. Australia
    2. United Kingdom

With skanky tape over dressings.....will re take when they come off. Didn't even occur to me to take pic after race....just came home went to bed and had to get up at sparrow again on Sunday morning for a dressage comp!!
    I think they look ok all things considered :)

Attached Files:

murls likes this.