Josh's new member introduction thread

I thought for sure you would

I thought for sure you would have stuffed and mounted that one.

Yup Longboard and a wonderful

Yup Longboard and a wonderful family it is. You ever surf the Great Lakes?

TJ, the only thing I have ever stuffed with fish is myself! I don't eat meat but instead eat fish about 4 times a week since forever.

Yes, and I used to follow the

Yes, and I used to follow the Great Lakes Surfer's on-line conditions reporting.

I gave up after realizing that most ridable waves were accompanied by 30 degree F air!

Yikes, that's an other

Yikes, that's an other level. I haven't surfed in a wetsuit in years but will have to get one soon for the 54degree water here in Oregon. A bit of a shocker coming from 85degree water!

My first two attempts at

My first two attempts at surfing were in the Pacific and the Mediterainean.

Ice cold and rocky at the first, warm and sandy at the second.

The first was on an ancient wood rental board that I couldn't even carry, and the latter was on a glass shortboard with WAY to little volume for me.

I knew there had to be an easier way!

It was at Kelly Slater's localist spot that it finaly clicked,

the warm waters of Cocoa Beach with the simple sandy beach break.

Great for beginners, and even better for old men.

By the time I was ready for bigger challenges, I got too old to survive the learning curve, and am now content

riding predictable waves in warm sandy waters.

Oregon sounds like fun though!

Greetings All!  (I am

Greetings All! (I am pasting this from the PA Forum with a few clarifying edits.)

I saw that Registration had become possible and jumped on the opportunity directly.

My home ground is the Valley Forge Park neighborhood, west of Philly. A good deal of my running takes place on the NJ side of the Delaware River, as I work in Princeton and am often able to break free during my work day to stretch my legs. (I would be delighted to try to meet up for a run at either end of my commute! I've not yet had the pleasure of actually BF running with someone.)

I am a new / old runner and didn't own a pair of anything for running until last week when I got a pair of VFF Bikilas. Up to that point I had been running 100% barefoot since I restarted in May. I was inspired by reading Born to Run over the winter, and have gotten such BF smarts as I have managed to obtain by reading and rereading on Barefoot Ken Bob and Barefoot Ted's websites. Highlights of such learnings: 1. Listen to the feet. 2. Slow and steady.

Historically, I ran conventionally in the early to mid-80's in Houston, TX. Now it's mostly barefoot for me with the VFF's just to give my soles a break now and then from the acorns and crushed stone that make my longer runs a bit less enjoyable.

I'm never going to be fast like I was back when I could crank out 6 minute miles through a 10 mile race. I'm very pleased to be able to go for 9 miles at 8:30 to 8:50 as I did last Saturday.

So far, so well!

Joseph

Longboard and Joseph,Are we

Longboard and Joseph,

Are we too old to run as fast, surf as well, etc or are we just rusty? I'm not as fast as I was in highschool either but like you Joseph, I had hung it up for ages as well. I'm just thinking that as soon as we start talking like we are old, then we are. I went to my highschool 20 yr reunion last year and was blown away by my fellow classmates that had been drinking the "getting older" coolaid. And not even 40 yet! I know Kelly from his trips to Tahiti and at almost 40 he is heading the charge for his 10th world title in the most competitive surfing arena the sport has ever seen. Having 9 titles under his belt already makes him the greatest sportsman of all time and is he slowing down? Nope.

Joseph, 8:30 over 9 miles is killing it, and barefoot!

I'll attend my 40'th high

I'll attend my 40'th high school reunion in less than a year, so I gotta think young!

I ran my first ever race at 56, and am still getting faster by the week.

Wimping out on sub-freezing swells is for the young as well!

Hmm.. interesting for me to

Hmm.. interesting for me to be on the opposite end of my life here. I think I'm one of the younger, if the not the youngest member here. I guess thats becaus a lot of you guys picked up BFR because of injuries that kept you from running, while I'm just wierd enough to br trying it out in highschool. (There were like 2 weeks where I could only run barefoot, but right now I could whip out a 2 hour half marathon in shoes, but I was dying on a barefoot 5 mile. Am I crazy for sticking with it?) I'm weird enough for running without shoes, and then I'm the 16 year old hangin' out with a bunch of 30 and 40 year olds. I'm actually still too young to do a lot of stuff, like I can't do the Iron Man for another two years. (Of course I plan on doing the Iron Man a couple months after I turn 18 and become eligible.)

Welcome Joseph!Danjo I have

Welcome Joseph!

Danjo I have no idea how to respond to your post. The internet has caused a lot of strange changes in the fabric of our society. So whatever floats your boat I guess.

And hey there is nothing wrong with being weird. We are all weird in our own ways.

Man, I'm old.

Man, I'm old.

Haha, I kinda came to less of

Haha, I kinda came to less of a point than I meant to, I guess I was just kinda rambling. And yes, the internet has caused a lot of changes, most of them bad, like the lack of real face to face communication, and it causes a lot of fakeness and transparency in people. For the amount of time I spend on the internet I'm actually not a big fan of technology, I don't own a cell phone and really don't want one. A text just isn't long enough to actually say anything meaningful. However, there are obviously benefits to the internet, just look at us! I wouldn't know anything about barefoot running if I didn't have the web, and I think its been a major factor in the whole barefooting movement. As spread out as we all are I bet a lot more of us would give up on it if we couldn't get together on here and talk.

Longboard, first race at 56

Longboard, first race at 56 and barefoot too??? Sometimes I think that we collectively lose a little a perspective and miss how amazing and worth celebrating this sort of stuff is.

Dan, you described yourself as weird but really, do you think you have a monopoly on it? After all, just look around. :) :) :)

Off to go running!

I watched Ken Bob run on

I watched Ken Bob run on gravel a few months ago with over 70 barefoot marathons behind him, and realized that 99% of the people within 500 miles of that stop on his tour had never been anywhere near his state of fitness at any point of their lives.

He's only a year or two younger than me, which pretty much proves that age is just an excuse for most.

Watching the Legends at the Cocoa Beach Easter Surf Festival (Wingnut, Peter Pan, etc) I realized that golf is

not the only option!

Sure, mornings are stiffer, and speeds are slower, but so what.

Tomorrow I will run 5K barefoot on broken up asphalt including hills, ride the tandem HARD with my wife, break out the G&S 46" Pin Tail for a neighborhood cruise, and still get done the chores of everyday life. (Well, SOME of them. The rest will have to wait!)

O.K., so I'll miss out on some games,......but that's my choice!

Let me guess, Ken Bob goes

Let me guess, Ken Bob goes faster when he runs on gravel? Or at least it looks like it because he keeps going while everyone else slows to a crawl. I need to go to one of his things next summer, if I can find one anywhere near New Mexico.

I don't feel old most days

I don't feel old most days :)...My plan for my 40th year is to run the Burning River 100...I have 2 years to train...so I figure I'll get it done in 2012, just before the world ends!

As far as surfing goes, I'm not very experienced, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE it....but I too will stick with a long board and nice easy waves, riding in smooth...one goal is to ride a straight line in, doing yoga asana, or taichi on the board...just sounds awesome!!

BUT I have to make it to the beach more than once every couple of years first!

NakedSoleNate wrote:BUT I

NakedSoleNate said:
BUT I have to make it to the beach more than once every couple of years first!

Four words:

Indo Board, Longboard Skateboard.

The crowd got a real kick out of one of our sons taking second in his division at Cocoa Beach as "The Motor City Kid".

Geez, I didn't know that

Geez, I didn't know that about Ken Bob. Longboard what an inspiration. As I'm sure you are for your boys.

That's great that you are rocking the skate as well. When I was in Tahiti and worked out of my office in the capital, Papeete, I would always do errands on a skate (prefer the sidewalk surfer, short and narrow thing) and my pearl farmer colleagues who I would cross paths with would always shake their heads and mutter stuff about skateboarding being for kids.

Good idea too about the Indoboard. Those things are great. Carveboards are really good too for working on your turning radius. Really fun to bomb hills with because they are easier to slow down (by carving) than longboards.

Nate, that's a lofty goal. I hope you make it happen and report back here about it!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts