Reviewed By: pilotrunner

picture-5509.jpg

Date Reviewed: 03/27/2011
Review Type: Race
Barefoot Friendliness: 1 Excellent

Hemphill and W Terrell
Fort Worth, TX
See map: Google Maps

Overall, a brilliant, very BF friendly course. I was the only true BFer (that I saw) and I witnessed only one other VFF runner although my wife saw a VFF walker as well).

Goods:
- Organization - Very well organized from registration to packet pick up to the race itself.
- Parking - Very close and more than enough (as long as you get there an hr or so prior)
- Awards - A hand-carved parrot. Interesting and unique
- T-shirt - Nicely done, very colorful artwork on a white shirt
- Course - All heavily used asphalt that was very smooth or smooth residential asphalt and concrete. (NOTE: The 10K course meets up with the 5K course at approx 3.5 miles. See "Bads" below).

Bads:
There is a 10K run and a 5K run/walk. The 5K starts 30 minutes after the 10K and both courses meet up at 3.5 miles on the 10K course and continue together until the finish, so unless you're quick and started at the front of the 10K race, you will encounter a lot of 5K traffic. The 5K traffic was comprised of mostly fat, overweight, rude women who would not yield for faster runners behind them. I received, and witnessed, numerous fat elbows being thrown at the runners.
At the 5.32 mile mark on my Garmin, I was at the end of a string of 5 runners passing the 5K'ers using the "On your left" callouts at every encounter with the slow walkers. A fat woman pushing a running stroller was on the left (runners) side of the course and decided after the 5th runner passed her on her right, she would dart over to the right side of the course. Her timing was so perfect that she clipped my left ankle and I old-fashioned-high-jumped her stroller landing flat on my right side. Many runners stopped to help me and the fat-mother-stroller-pusher proceeded to yell at me in broken english that I was in the wrong. My running brothers defended me vehemnetly but my ankle was toast and I could only limp the remaining .9 miles to the finish. This completely ruined an otherwise great running surface, day and event.

Suggestions:
- Arrive at least 1hr early for up-front parking.
- Ensure you are at the front of the 10K start
- Keep on the lookout for rude 5K'ers

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmeiners11

Latest posts