It's official. I can't eat chia

fetish4running

Barefooters
Jun 5, 2010
So I started buying chia seeds back in May and had been eating the gel religiously for about a month. I started having stomach aches that were quite uncomfortable and tried being really careful about what I ate. When my stomach aches weren't going away, I decided to just eat fruit for a week. That really helped, but in the mean time I kinda got out of the habit of eating chia. We always have chia gel in the fridge (my husband and son like it) and a couple weeks ago I had a few spoonfuls and that eve I had a bad stomach ache. Coincidence? Well, last night I made up a batch again and licked the spoon and it was so good that I had two more spoonfuls. Within an hour I was on the floor, holding my stomach. It was the worst stomach ache I've ever had. I spent the entire eve on the toilet or holding my guts in bed. I can't even describe how awful I felt.

I'm never having chia again!

That really sucks, Fet.  I

That really sucks, Fet. I know it has that affect on some people.

fetish4running wrote: We

fetish4running said:
We always have chia gel in the fridge (my husband and son like it)

For it's taste or mystical powers?

I haven't really seen any

I haven't really seen any mystical powers with my Chia seed experience. However, I'm sure it has a strong placebo affect for some people. I do appreciate the nutritional content of chia seeds, but I don't think they are anything special.

There's nothing mystical to

There's nothing mystical to them, no. I do notice that I am more hydrated after eating them versus not having them. They act as a sponge holding onto the liquids which helps keep energy flowing to the muscles. Christopher McDougall way overexaggerated their effects.

fetish4running wrote:Well,

fetish4running said:
Well, last night I made up a batch again and licked the spoon and it was so good that I had two more spoonfuls.

Just to be clear... we are talking about chia and water, nothing else?

BareFootNick

BareFootNick said:
fetish4running said:
Well, last night I made up a batch again and licked the spoon and it was so good that I had two more spoonfuls.

Just to be clear... we are talking about chia and water, nothing else?

Yes, you are correct. And my husband and son eat it w/o spending an eve on the toilet. And I was joking when I said we eat it for its mystical powers. I was reading about the nutritional value of them and how they can keep you hydrated longer, so we started eating them. None of us ever noticed any jump in energy or anything like that. Before they started making me sick, I noticed I could go longer w/o water on my runs (no pun intended!) but that was about it.

Sorry to hear about that, at

Sorry to hear about that, at least you firgured it out. I do notice that I stay more hydrated during my runs when I take some chia seeds. I eat them for nutritional purposes, and I really do find they give me a nice boost when I run.

Mcdougall had a grand imagination when it came to writing "Born to Run" It's a book, you have to spice things up a bit to make it interesting. He would be a good car salesman.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test