Its Cold, It's Wet, and still left my shoes behind...

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Barefoot Red, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Barefoot Red

Barefoot Red
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

So it was cold and wet last Friday. The temps were low 40's F. The pavement felt colder since it was damp. I still went out for my 3 mile run and start acclimating to winter "fun". My body was hot. My legs and the tops of my feet were fine. My toes, soles were cold and stinging. I ran a couple of minutes slower than usual too. Next time I am going to get warmed up with the blood flowing before stepping outside.

I tried minimalist saucony and merrell at REI but hated the feeling of having my feet trapped in expensive designer aqua socks. I think if it gets really cold, I am going to buy some scuba socks and run in those.

Any tips or advice out there? I want to keep my feet free and bare as possible!

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Barefoot Mary

Barefoot Mary
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Michigan
    2. Florida -...
    3. Colorado

I hear ya about those cold +

I hear ya about those cold + wet days. Wet is really the biggest problem. I find when it's in the high 30s to 40s and dry my feet enjoy the run instead of suffering and stinging.

What I would do is buy some very cheap water shoes. I like mine from Sports Authority - they hang them on the wall in the store and they're only $10. I'll warm up for a mile or two in the shoes, then slip them off when my feet get hot and sweaty. I get a lot of miles out of them because I only use them for warming up. :) I call them my "hand weights"!

3. megabarefoot

megabarefoot
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

Cold weather running is

Cold weather running is certainly more difficult. Everything is more sensitive when cold and one has to really keep those knees bent and legs ready to be limp springs. The human made surfaces are the worst because they leech heat directly from the foot. I try to run on grass whenever possible, it heats up much quicker.

At the least, running in the cold can help smooth out whatever you feel you've been doing wrong. Since this is my first winter of being able to run barefoot, I"m going to try to push it as far as I can before I go with footwear.

4. migangelo

migangelo
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Oregon

i wear huaraches when its wet

i wear huaraches when its wet and cold. water sitting on the ground will be cold and the heat from your feet will flow to the water. when its raining though its much easier to run bf. rain is warmer than water sitting on the ground. i personally love to run bf in pouring rain. i strip to my shorts as the rain cools me off just enough that i still slightly overheat but feel incredible when i'm done running.

go to the chapter posting and add your running schedule. don't worry if you don't live in the portland area. i'd like everyone in the state to post their schedule. you never know when you might take a trip to where some else lives and it's also for newbies and lurkers to find someone near them.

Mike