ITBand, crap!

Can someone please explain to

Can someone please explain to me the foam roller? I have severe ITB and need some help. Been trying to build up the barefoot miles but still doing the long runs in shoes...like a moron.

I really hope BFR works for me. I can't bear the thought of having to stop running.:(

Cozmos74 wrote:Can someone

Cozmos74 said:
Can someone please explain to me the foam roller? I have severe ITB and need some help. Been trying to build up the barefoot miles but still doing the long runs in shoes...like a moron.

The foam roller is just a foam cylinder that you use to roll on the muscles, working out the "knots" and trigger points that throw the muscles out of whack (to use a technical term)

here are a couple of links to give you the idea. If you google "self myofascial release" or "foam roller" you'll find hundreds of websites, merchants, and videos about it. I've started using the foam roller for my dodgy right soleus, and it really seems to help.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/flexibilityandstretching/ss/FoamRoller.htm

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/self-myofascial-release.html

Cozzie, can you just go cold

Cozzie, can you just go cold turkey and ditch the running shoes? You've already learned that you are harming yourself by doing so. Give barefoot running a chance. Use the foam roller, but incorporate some BFR to see if it can keep the ITB away. Don't run in shoes. If you can't or won't go barefoot first and you have to put something on your feet, use a pair of socks instead. They offer just the right amount of protection without going over board. I hope all goes well for you. Keep us informed.

Another one of my fav.

Another one of my fav. stretches (releases) for ITB is the leg position for "cow face pose".....I like this one because it allows one to learn to relax a little more.....sit on the floor, bring your right foot to the outside of your left butt-cheek, knee pointing straight ahead...bring your left leg on top, with your left foot on the outside of your right knee....EVENTUALLY you are looking to stack those knees right on top of eachother, but this might not be possible yet...just do the best you can...then allow your self to slowly curl forward like you are giving yourself a hug. Breathe, and try to relax into position, never "push yourself", let gravity and your breath work for you. Concentrate on letting go of tension as you exhale. Think "rest." Don't forget to do the other side.....and don't short change yourself on time here....spend two min. on each leg.

NakedSoleNate wrote:Another

NakedSoleNate said:
Another one of my fav. stretches (releases) for ITB is the leg position for "cow face pose".....I like this one because it allows one to learn to relax a little more.....sit on the floor, bring your right foot to the outside of your left butt-cheek, knee pointing straight ahead...bring your left leg on top, with your left foot on the outside of your right knee....EVENTUALLY you are looking to stack those knees right on top of eachother, but this might not be possible yet...just do the best you can...then allow your self to slowly curl forward like you are giving yourself a hug. Breathe, and try to relax into position, never "push yourself", let gravity and your breath work for you. Concentrate on letting go of tension as you exhale. Think "rest." Don't forget to do the other side.....and don't short change yourself on time here....spend two min. on each leg.

I love cow faced pose for my IT band too. I started incorporating it into my IT band routine at home because I noticed in class that it felt good on my IT band. Glad to know I am on the right track with my thinking. I'll definitely up the time, I've only been doing 30 secs to one minute. Thanks for the tips Nate!

No Problem! I should have

No Problem!

I should have also said, this: You don't want to stretch too much before a run....I, in fact, don't stretch at all before a run....my warm up, is running....spend ample time AFTER to take advantage of warm muscles and to release the lactic acid....and always ease into stretching, ballistic (bouncy stretches) are really dangerous. Most importantly, listen to your body.

I know the "stretching" before running thing is controversial...I have many ideas on why I do not believe this is a good idea....except possibly for VERY LIGHT movement to wake up joints...I'll try to remember to post those reasons and my ideas on them later this week....probably in a thread called...well...Stretching :) I also have some great ones for feet :-D.

I have just got rid of my

I have just got rid of my shoes forever. The last 20km run i did hurt my ITBand so badly that i could hardly walk when I got to work.

I am not running as far in bare feet, that is why i still kept the shoes, but I will keep it up and soon I should be clocking up the miles. I probably shouldn't be running at all but what you gunna do?

Running barefoot is just such a joy, all my friends think I have gone crazy.

Hehehe

Live to run!

I tried the rolling pin and it HURTS!

Last night I was at a friends

Last night I was at a friends house and noticed he had a foam roller. I tried it. It hurt!, but I couldn't just do one leg because that made me feel uneven, so I did the other.

I don't really have IT Band problems, so I don't know how it could help.

I think you can have a tight

I think you can have a tight ITBand that hurts on a roller, but hasn't caused running problems yet. I've always had tenderness if I pushed on the outside of my thigh (thought it was the same for everyone, LOL) but I grew up on snow skis and tore up my knees when I was 12. I didn't have a real "problem" with it for running until I over did it in April. I still question if my issue is really ITBand, but the foam roller doesn't hurt anymore and my knee is getting better (maddeningly slowly, but better.)

NakedSoleNate wrote:Another

NakedSoleNate said:
Another one of my fav. stretches (releases) for ITB is the leg position for "cow face pose".

OK, so I have to admit when I saw the Cow Faced Pose I blew coffee all over my monitor, I really didn't think you were serious. Then I looked it up, sat on the floor and tried it.:O

With the left leg on top, not too bad, it was a good stretch. I have had come and go nasty aches in the knee, outside and under the kneecap for the last three weeks, gets worse as I run especially if I get slack on form. When I did the stretch with the right knee on top I thought I was going to die. I felt the stretch from the hip all the way through the kneecap and held it for a few minutes, the ache and stretch literally made me nauseous. Dang that is an awesome stretch and now I know I have a tight IT Band. Time to work on it.

Just got back from buying a new Yoga mat and a foam roller. Wish me luck

scooter wrote: When I did

scooter said:
When I did the stretch with the right knee on top I thought I was going to die. I felt the stretch from the hip all the way through the kneecap and held it for a few minutes, the ache and stretch literally made me nauseous. Dang that is an awesome stretch and now I know I have a tight IT Band. Time to work on it.

Just got back from buying a new Yoga mat and a foam roller. Wish me luck

Remember to take it slow :)....if it HURTS, not that "normal pain" of stretching, but the pain of impending injury, back off. Listen to your body! Especially around the knee joints ;-). And I'll buy a pitcher of beer to anyone who can tell me why it's called cow face pose :-D....I'll give you a hint....it doesn't really apply unless you do the arms with it....

Cows have arms?  Hee.

Cows have arms? Hee.

In cow face, arms aren't

In cow face, arms aren't arms :-D

I'll give it a little more

I'll give it a little more time ;-)...and one other hint....it's easier to see if not only the arms are engaged in the traditional gomukasana (cow face pose) position, but then one folds the body forward over the knees....

Absolutely, there was no

Absolutely, there was no provision for any kind of research ;-). I owe you a cold one!!

okay then, the knees look

okay then, the knees look like cow lips and the elbows look like ears
cow.gif

Mmmm, beer!

:-D yup..."CHEERS"

:-D yup..."CHEERS" :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS