It may not be 'minimal...'

Lomad

Barefooters
Sep 15, 2011
So, I'm working my way back to a more natural running approach (as i've posted about in a few threads recently). A couple weeks ago I picked up the mt110 by New Balance. The fit was great, but it had this weird slant from the lateral to medial, forcing an overpronating gait and putting a lot of stress on my first three toes on each foot. Toes 2 and 3 are my problem children on the right side that knocked me out of the skin to ground race so these had to go. Fortunately my local running shop has a 30-day exchange period and a reasonable selection of natural/minimal shoes. After this month, I'm pretty sure my picture is up in their backroom as persona non grata (multiple exchanges in this month in attempt to run without hurting. Can't run barefoot yet; don't tell me to, please). I really wan't taking advantage; each time I went in I left thinking I had the right solution, and apologized each time (3) i went back, including today.

Today I went in with the plan of first getting feedback on the shoes I had (110's). The super helpful guy threw me on the treadmill and immediately said 'yeah, these shoes are not good for you. Have your knees been hurting?' Yes they have. Let's shop!

Tried on a handful of minimalish trail shoes, and then the Altra Lone Peak. not even a bit minimal, but zero drop. Curiosity piqued. Laced 'em up and ran a bit. Sold! felt unbelievably good on my foot, and I felt good from the ankles up as well (very important to me. I like to avoid injury;)). Now let's look at road shoes. I gots some burfday moneys to spend, right? Tried on the new Altra instinct 1.5. Love. It felt super and ran awesome. I felt my mid-foot strike come back almost immediately. my whole person felt right in these shoes (Both pairs). These are just first impressions, but i spent almost 2 hours running, trying on, comparing and nit-picking shoes before I decided to pay my money and take my shoes.

So, no, they aren't minimal shoes; but, they are f-l-a-t. I feel very neutral, body-wise, and comfortable/confident running in them. My foot feels protected, which i still need (though rolling and stretching, as discovered by Bare Lee, have helped immensely) and i'm looking forward to this training cycle in these shoes. I'll update as I go as to how they hold up.

Reactions: Bare Lee
I don't recall Fit Right NW having a treadmill.... They are the only people I know of locally that sell Altras. I have felt pretty crappy between them (whom I love) and another store that I hate (think Wiley Coyote) and multiple returns trying to find a good shoe that worked for me (I actually had my wife go and return a pair of shoes for me because I was so ashamed for the sheer amount of returns). I had thought you were going to try the NB Minimus Zero Roads? Did you not like them? Hope the Altras are good for you man, I've not tried them in a long while.

It was fit Right:). The treadmills are up by the front windows. Acme Running won't get my business. The road zeros were too flexible for me right now and a bit thinner than the Altras. Plus the toe splay room in the Altras is ridonculous. It's like my shoes have a bonus room!

Ah ok. I don't like that RR store at all either and shop elsewhere if at all possible! See the Altras don't come in wide and apparently with my flat feet I need a wider midfoot in a shoe, not just up in the forefoot. I have been able to run bare and in huaraches the last couple runs so maybe I won't have to worry about closed toe shoes anytime soon... Not going to get my hopes up, but maybe I will get lucky.

I got the Altra Lone Peaks last year because I thought my problems were solved and I was going back to rocky trails and I was going to be fast. Well didn't quite work out that way. Now, I keep them in the car in case I have to change a flat tire in the stickers. The fit on them was great, but they were bricks. I think you will like the Instincts and they should handle most trails. This is Altra's new Superior coming out in October. I shouldn't even consider, but it is interesting.

They might not be minimal but if they make you a happy runner, well enjoy your runs.
Is all I have to say.

Reactions: NickW and Lomad
Yeah, Rick, the Lone Peaks are on the heavy side (Superiors have my eye in a BIG way), but I have a trail half-mary in November. In Western Oregon. Traction will be at a premium and I wanted a shoe i could train in now and race in later, due to my paranoia about all the issues I've had; the Superiors don't release until October, and with Altra's history of being a little behind projected release dates I didn't want to push it. Plus, I was running in regular old running shoes a lot this year; weight isn't the be all end all for me. If the dollars work, I may try to sneak a pair of superiors a couple weeks before the half and will race them.

Dama, as always, I appreciate your positive attitude! Thanks!

I have the original Instincts and love them. They are my go to shoe for just about everything now.

In fact, I need a new pair and was thinking of getting the 1.5's. Can you tell me what the difference is besides colours? I can't seem to find anything that plainly states if anything else is different.

They are lighter, and have much better ventilation. I've heard/read where some say they are firmer, but I can't speak to that as I only ran in the original version for a short time due to a material defect and went back to other options last year. They supposedly added 'toe spring' to give a feeling of quicker transition. I get no feeling of spring in any traditional sense and my foot feels flat in the shoe, though. the last thing is the upper feels softer. These would be a much better option for a sockless shoe than version 1.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7